Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
⇧⇧⇧

Well...enough time has elapsed that Mr. Oink will reply!

I prefer the ice tea from a small diner that also makes
delicious puffy corn tacos. The tea is so good tasting
I hardly need to sweeten it with any sugar.

Ice coffee when I'm too lazy to heat it up or am in a hurry.
But I only take a few swallows as this will act as a laxative.
(I know...I know...too much info! ) :(

Doing a chore in the yard (cutting a high tree branch)
and taking a break (like I doing right now on my Apple)
and continuing later today?

Or

Leave it for tomorrow ?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I gave you a like because you were honest about it in not knowing but nevertheless
gave a response to the best of your ability. Nice!

Unlike me, where I go on the search engine and pretend I know what the heck they
(I do believe we know who they are) are talking about.

But it’s nice when I do know without looking it up.
But it’s rare.
I believe my buddy Fading Fast would agree. :D

I’ll go with Lutefisk....because it sounds like the name of
a tire brand found in vintage gas stations.

"Lutefisk or lutfisk is a traditional dish of some Nordic countries. It is traditionally part of the Swedish and Norwegian julbord. It is made from aged stockfish or dried/salted whitefish and lye. It is gelatinous in texture." It also squeaks again st the teeth. Norwegian-Americans claim to love it. I find it to be unspeakably vile.

Lefse is a potato based flat bread which is commonly served with Lutefisk. It is ambrosial. The reward for choking down this year's serving Lutefisk.

Lutefisk jokes are incredibly common in the Upper Midwest, particularly in the Twin Cities, where everyone knows the stuff by it's reek..

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
⇧⇧⇧

Well...enough time has elapsed that Mr. Oink will reply!

I prefer the ice tea from a small diner that also makes
delicious puffy corn tacos. The tea is so good tasting
I hardly need to sweeten it with any sugar.

Ice coffee when I'm too lazy to heat it up or am in a hurry.
But I only take a few swallows as this will act as a laxative.
(I know...I know...too much info! ) :(

Doing a chore in the yard (cutting a high tree branch)
and taking a break (like I doing right now on my Apple)
and continuing later today?

Or

Leave it for tomorrow ?

Get it done. Tomorrow is another day which brings on its own duties.

Speaking of coffee; Whole Bean or ground?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Whole bean, grind it fresh just before using.

Additionally on the topic of coffee, French Press or Drip?

Whole bean myself.

I use an early 1930's Mirro electric percolator for my morning coffee. The large surface heating element does not have the same tendency to burn the coffee as do more modern, "quick" percplators.

For after dinner coffee I always use a Silex Vacuum pot, which always produces perfect coffee. More consistent than a French Press, and far more flavorful than a dripolator (for the water in a vacuum pot is always the perfect temperature)

Electric or hand grinder?

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Hand grinder.

I often use a moka express pot, and more frequently just boil it, even on the stovetop. Drip is never hot enough, I understand why my great grandmother was heard to make that very comment. If I'm having dessert coffee, that is anything more than just black, I like heavy cream myself. Which begs my next question:

Black or cream and sugar?

(side note, at least once per week the wife and I enjoy some cappuccino thanks to the moka pot, and sometimes a little esspresso with amaretto!)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Hand grinder.

I often use a moka express pot, and more frequently just boil it, even on the stovetop. Drip is never hot enough, I understand why my great grandmother was heard to make that very comment. If I'm having dessert coffee, that is anything more than just black, I like heavy cream myself. Which begs my next question:

Black or cream and sugar?

(side note, at least once per week the wife and I enjoy some cappuccino thanks to the moka pot, and sometimes a little esspresso with amaretto!)

Prefer cream or evaporated canned milk
whenever I'm in the mood for coffee
with my breakfast.
Grew up eating hot oatmeal with Pet or
Carnation milk that came in cans.
But I would choke if I had to drink a glass
of this milk by itself.

Drinking cold milk without adding
other things?

(your choice of milk)

Or...
Drinking cold milk but only after
adding, honey, chocolate powder,
rum, or something else?

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Do I have to choose? We get our milk from a local dairy. We have to shake the bottle before we serve it, and I always get some extra cream in a pint jar, just for coffee and such. The milk is wonderful the way it is, but it makes fine chocolate milk with a bit of sugar and some good cocoa.

Shake or a malt?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Chocolate malts the way they were made when I was a kid.
They don’t make them like that anymore!

The malt powder today is not the same.
The closest being the malt powder that Lizzie told me
about that comes from England.

Cottage cheese or yogurt?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well, milk at out local Aldi store is $0.98/gallon. At those prices it is cheaper to make your own. It is easy and fun . If I have time I will add a few spoonfuls of buttermilk to a gallon of room temperature whole milk and allow it to curdle. This forms a thick,custard like curd, with a delicate texture, commonly called "Bonny Clabber". When in a hurry, one heats the milk to about 120 degrees fahrenheit, adds a generous teaspoon of salt and a half cup of white vinegar. Stir gently for a minute or two until curdled, then set aside until room temperature. Strain through a colander lined with a tea towel or piece of flour sacking.

DELICIOUS!

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Coleman’s or French’s ?
Well, milk at out local Aldi store is $0.98/gallon. At those prices it is cheaper to make your own. It is easy and fun . If I have time I will add a few spoonfuls of buttermilk to a gallon of room temperature whole milk and allow it to curdle. This forms a thick,custard like curd, with a delicate texture, commonly called "On Clabber". When in a hurry, knee beats the milk to about 120 degrees farenheit, adds a generous teaspoon of salt and a half cup of white vinegar. Stir gently for a minute Ute or two until curdled, then set aside until room temperature. Strain through a colander lined with a tea towel or piece of flour sacking.

DELICIOUS!

First one!

Prepare your own meal the way you like it
or have someone cook it although not quite the way
you’d do it?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I never mind when anyone else cooks, even if their recepies are not those that I favor, but I really prefer to do the cooking myself when I have the time.

Returning to the Era;
Full tone or medium tone steel needles? ;)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
They also make great hangers for 8 x 10 framed photographs.

Steel.

Tungs-tone needles are harder on records. Just try playing a soft Grey Gull or Radiex pressing. One play is enough to wipe a new disc.
Besides, these needles should've saved for use on surviving automatic machines.

Leather or rubber heels?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
They also make great hangers for 8 x 10 framed photographs.

Steel.

Tungs-tone needles are harder on records. Just try playing a soft Grey Gull or Radiex pressing. One play is enough to wipe a new disc.
Besides, these needles should've saved for use on surviving automatic machines.

Leather or rubber heels?

Leather.

Converse or PF Flyers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy