Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
GOODPHOTO.jpg
[/IMG]
bobbydavis said:
That is the 825.

I'll post some photos of the one I had. Sold it recently. Beautiful machine.

Thought I was in trouble when I read your post. "Let's get one thing straight".

Like what did I do to The Fedora Lounge?!
I love this site!

Actually you could download the picture and keep it. I have the original sent to me by a friend along w/The Hoover Baby. I have dozens of vintage Hoover pics.

I was first introduced to a Hoover 425 at one and a half years old.
Loved em' ever since.

I'll send more soon.

Thanks!

BD

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hey Bobby, good to see some pictures popping back up! I'll post some of the ones you sent soon... SO busy this weekend!

By the way, haven't heard from the seller regarding that .99 cent Hoover 700 yet... It's paid for and all I'm waiting for is it to arrive... I sent him some messages and have not received a reply to my question regarding it's shipment.

Should have been here since it was being shipped from Sacramento CA.

-=R

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
bobbydavis said:
In 1926 a Ford Model A sold for $300.00.

The Hoover Model 700 sold for $75.00.
One-fourth the cost of a new car!

He's right! A blurb from an original 1927 Hoover Ad.

Model 700 Hoover, $75. Model 543 $59.50 Dusting tools 12.50
Easy payments if desired. Only $6.25 down. Prices slightly higher west
of the Rockies and in Canada. Hoover Dealers will make you an allowance on your old machine.

This is why only the Hoover was advertised in National Geographic magazine... High-end machines and appliances were pitched to the wealthy. These machines were used by upper middle class house wives and maids in upper crust society. If a lower income family had a Hoover, it may have been purchased on time.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
The Hoovers at that time were purchased only by the wealthy.
They were ususally not stored in a closet but in a hallway were they
could be seen. It was sort of a status symbol to own a Hoover vacuum cleaner.

The advertisements in the late 20s and early 30s pictured the servant/maid running the Hoover. Not the 'lady of the house' as apposed to later years where the housewife in a dress, pearls and high heels demonstrated the Hoover. They had to project the image of how easy, glamorous and sanitary it was to use the smart new (whichever model) they were advertising. Imagine today's mom with 3 or 4 kids doing her vacuuming dressed that way!

In some illustrations, Hoover users were portrayed as "Flapper" girls which intimated that the "hip set" of that era found the Hoover to be "the bee's knees," an expression of that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner