Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Thank you Bobby, I'm very proud of the way it's turned out! :D

A fan of the slide clips huh? Well, if you desire that over the scissor braces, I'll trade ya a slide clip for a scissor brace.. ;) Or, maybe you'd like to sell me one... maybe.

Sure, I'll email those photos to you.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
I may have one somewhere in storage. If I do, it's yours. It's ok but I won't use the scissor brace. I remember my aunt's Hoover which had what looked like suspenders on I think a 425. There were 3 long suspender like straps attached to the bag.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Scissor brace should have a twill "Y" strap, with a small clip that attaches to the handle. The bag has three tabs on it but, I'm not sure what the middle tab was for on the bag, have no idea how it's to be attached to the scissor spreader. Springs were attached to bag clips... I could have a cloth "Y" strap made, not a big deal.

Let me know, :D

-=R

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hoover_Building_1.jpg

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
Is this enough info??

Geez, spare us the details will ya! Sheesh!lol

The Hoover Building on the Western Avenue (A40) in Perivale, Middlesex is an example of Art Deco architecture, designed by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. It is celebrated in the song "Hoover Factory" by Elvis Costello.

Built for The Hoover Company, the building originally housed Hoover's main UK manufacturing facility making vacuum cleaners, and employed up to 600 staff in the its offices and works. The original building (No.1) was built in 1932 and contained the main offices; before it was completed plans were being put in place to add manufacturing facilities. As staff moved into their new offices foundations were being laid for a factory block to the east of the original building; this new block came to be known as Building No.3 and was complete and fully operational by February 1933. In January 1934 plans were drawn up for an additional two storey extension on top of the factory building and by May 1934 construction was well under way. Demand for Hoover vacuum cleaners continued to grow and in 1935 Wallis, Gilbert and Partners designed a new factory (Building No.5) behind the original building. In 1938 a separate canteen and recreation centre (Building No.7) was completed to the west of the original office.

During the Second World War the Hoover Factory manufactured electrical equipment for aircraft and tanks. The factory operated 24 hours a day, with employees working shifts. The buildings were repainted and camouflaged with netting to avoid being spotted and bombed by German aircraft. During the blitz a lookout post was set up on the roof, and was manned by members of the sales force who were too old for active service. The Hoover Company organised an evacuation scheme, and sent children of employees to live at the homes of Hoover staff in Canada.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
THEHOOVERCOMPANYINNORTHCANTONOHIO.jpg

And just for old times sake, God bless her, the Hoover Building in North Canton, Ohio!

She still stands proud in the USA!!!

This new format in the "Lounge" has me nutz!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
And just for old times sake, God bless her, the Hoover Building in North Canton, Ohio!
She still stands proud in the USA!!!

That building is 30 minutes from my front door. It was a very sad time indeed when they left the area. The history of the company is very closely tied to the history of the town, as you might imagine.

bobbydavis

One of the Regulars
I think they still have the "Hoover Vault" with still some unused models from the 70s & 80s in North Canton.
The Hoover Historical Socitey has all the real "coffee can" models on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails