Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thnking out loud about an "Indy"

fukigen

Familiar Face
Hi Worf,

waiting for the pics, and maybe I missed the info, where did you order it? How was the service?

I am also thinking about an Indy jacket (will be brown for me)... but I am still losing weight, so I will wait a bit before placing any order...

anyway, enjoy the jacket!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Here's a few I just took sans my big butt in em.

It's a U.S. Authentic "Indy" in Black Horsehide. I'm not sure of the weight but it's thicker and heavier than any jacket I've got. My custom makings were hide, color, stitched sleeves and Black/Green wool lining.

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
So, how is the fit? The wool lining will help some way up there in the frozen northland, but I imagine it won't help much when you guys go into true winter mode. Thank God for the South!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
So, how is the fit? The wool lining will help some way up there in the frozen northland, but I imagine it won't help much when you guys go into true winter mode. Thank God for the South!

It fits well, the only problem is the wool in the sleeves. It comes out a little when I put my arms in. You can't tell from the photo's but it's starting to break-in well in spots. It'll take time to get it as soft as my old Avirex A2 civvy but it's much thicker. I sent my Lee Jean jacket for them to use as a guide and I'm happy. Soon as I get some decent pics with me in it I'll post. I took some already but my pants wrinkled in such a way that Iooked way too excited about something for my own good. WAY too excited...

Worf

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
That is one sharp jacket man. It makes me glad I got my A2 from US-A. Get a few shots of you in the jacket once you've settled down ;)

Edward

Bartender
Here's a few I just took sans my big butt in em.

It's a U.S. Authentic "Indy" in Black Horsehide. I'm not sure of the weight but it's thicker and heavier than any jacket I've got. My custom makings were hide, color, stitched sleeves and Black/Green wool lining.

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Worf

Looks good in black. Puts me in mind of an Aero Highwayman as much as anything else more obvious.

If my Aero 50's HBD didn't have all Learher cuffs. The drill lining would be showing like yours Worf. That's the big plus of the satin/sateen. I live and learn. But with liner coming to the edge, it will pull out like that upon removal - unless you have a short sleeve (Tee) shirt on. Jacket looks great. Lets see it on brah!

I have several Aero jackets that have the drill lining in the cuffs. On mine..Aero seemed to pull the 'cuff' lining tight in the added cuff peice and sewn it to the top and bottom of their type of cuff inside. Thus..no problem of lining coming out the end of cuff. However I have had jackets that have pushed out at the end of the cuff each time I put it on. Usually a straight sleeve with no added cuff. I never really checked...but..I bet the sleeves were just left loose and only sewn at the very end of sleeve cuff. Then when you push your arm through..it drags and pushes the material out the end.
HD

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have several Aero jackets that have the drill lining in the cuffs. On mine..Aero seemed to pull the 'cuff' lining tight in the added cuff peice and sewn it to the top and bottom of their type of cuff inside. Thus..no problem of lining coming out the end of cuff. However I have had jackets that have pushed out at the end of the cuff each time I put it on. Usually a straight sleeve with no added cuff. I never really checked...but..I bet the sleeves were just left loose and only sewn at the very end of sleeve cuff. Then when you push your arm through..it drags and pushes the material out the end.
HD

You're absolutely right. But I manage to get round it by pulling the material in before I put arms through and, when necessary, stuffing it back in. Either way it's a small quibble, for me at least.

Wlorf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
That's a great looking coat. Looks like nice, thick leather and I love your choice of liner. I'll keep my eye out for a big dude wearing a black Indy jacket when in the Capital District.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
That's a great looking coat. Looks like nice, thick leather and I love your choice of liner. I'll keep my eye out for a big dude wearing a black Indy jacket when in the Capital District.
Actually, I've been meaning to PM you about hooking up for perhaps conversation, jacket comparisons and alike. PM me if interested. I spent a lovely afternoon talking to another FLounger, Doctor Strange, about all manner of things.

Worf

fukigen

Familiar Face
thanks for the pics.
jacket is simply great, congratulations!

just got and watched the Pr. Jones adventures in bluray last week...
I'm thinking out loud about an Indy jacket as well, in the raiders it is lambskin jacket, if not mistaken. But seeing your horsehide one, not sure for which should I go for...

It may have been discussed in a previous thread (but didn't find), what are advantages/disadvantage of lambskin over horsehide?
horsehide more thick, more "resistant" to damage, rain, etc... than lamskin ?
no need of heavy wear for break in lambskin?

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Just noticed that the "Indy" has disappeared from Aero's site.

It was there two days ago!:eeek:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
fukigen: Lambskin is a beautiful thin leather with a soft drape, but it is fragile - much more easily torn than horsehide, cowhide, or goatskin. It's not a good choice for a jacket that you intend to show hard use or wear in stressful conditions, though it's fine for average around-town wear.

The reason that the original Raiders of the Lost Ark film jackets were made of lambskin was because they weren't real-world jackets but film wardrobe, made to be more comfortable in the heat of the Tunisian desert and under intense studio lights. Horse, cow, and goat are all better choices for a real-world jacket. Goatskin is a particularly good choice for an Indy jacket, because it is supple and drapes similarly to lambskin (horsehide and cowhide don't, they're thicker and have less flex), but is extremely tough and will hold up to anything you throw at it.

fukigen

Familiar Face
thanks Dr. for the explanation, also they have many jackets on the set... in case one break.
and I thnk the version for the stuntmen is heavier hide, especially when "riding" under and behind the truck.

looking at BK website, striated lambskin is the same price than horsehide or goatskin...
What would be the difference with grainy lambskin (vs striated) which is much cheaper?
Is it just an "effect" given to lambskin during tanning process?

If not already published, I think a book "leather for dummies" would be a good idea for people like me :)

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Doc Strange is right Fukigen. Goat or sheep would make a looser fit, more natural drape and better for "fashion" or costumes. My leather jackets are more an outgrowth of my "attitude". I prefer thick, semitight leather because it's hard to rip or cut through and by being form fitting difficult to grab or use against me should a discussion be in "tight quarters". All my jackets except for some civilian A2's say... "don't f**k with me". But that's just me.

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Doc Strange is right Fukigen. Goat or sheep would make a looser fit, more natural drape and better for "fashion" or costumes. My leather jackets are more an outgrowth of my "attitude". I prefer thick, semitight leather because it's hard to rip or cut through and by being form fitting difficult to grab or use against me should a discussion be in "tight quarters". All my jackets except for some civilian A2's say... "don't f**k with me". But that's just me.

Worf

Worf,
You are a very big dude. I think you could wear a pink leisure suit and still, no one would f**k with you.

fukigen

Familiar Face
Worf,
I imagine the last picture with De Niro's dialog: "are you talking to me?" :D
(I cannot quote Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction, would be too many ****)

If I go to NY and meet you in the street, I surely will not try to f**k you :D
now with th pics, I can recognize you, and, won't go on the other side of the street :)

should try the purple sample ButteMT put in a previous thread (or at least the hat!) :D
file_9_36.JPG

I hesitate lambskin/horsehide because lambskin is fragile... and I really like my hh jacket, takes more time to break it, but at the end, it is worth it.
and striated lambskin is the same price of hh, that is a point in favor for hh, in my point of view.

but the jacket is really great and look great on you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy