Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on New Vanson Enfield Sizing, (Photo Now Attached :-)

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
So anyway I got the basically unused 42 Enfield on ebay. I thought I was a 42 so I was concerned that it might be tight. But instead it has that "one size up" appearance like many Enfields pictured here and not the tight, "cafe racer" profile of some others. I'm starting to question if I really am a solid 42 but bottom line, I'm happy. While a really trim silhouette is nice, if it was tighter I couldn't use a base layer and still zip it up which would certainly limit it's usefulness. It feels like it fits perfectly through the shoulders. The sleeves are longish, but not when reaching for the handlebars. I was concerned about the length while in the riding position (and maybe it "could" be a tad shorter, I'm 5'9"), but like someone else said it seems to go down into your lap and make a seal to air coming into the bottom. It's weird how the perfect can be the enemy of the good. I'd like the base layer AND a trim, tailored look. I had a previous jacket that had a botched alteration and that I later "grew" out of at the midsection. I gave it away though it had a lot of sentimental value and personal history attached to it. I would have killed for it to have fit this well.

P.S. The iMac takes a mirror image so that's why the pocket is on the wrong side.

Photoon2012-01-04at1246.jpg

Last edited:

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Sounds just a little too big for you. I have a 42 Enfield and it fits me great, but I am 5' 11" and 185 lbs. Let me know if you want to get rid of it :)

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Sounds just a little too big for you. I have a 42 Enfield and it fits me great, but I am 5' 11" and 185 lbs. Let me know if you want to get rid of it :)

I think you're probably right, but I'm not going to obsess about it. The jacket will work perfectly for what I got it for, which is to serve as a cycle jacket for those times when I don't want to wear an armored jacket for some reason. And, compared to wearing the Teton (which is a Medium and seems to fit okay and be my size unless I'm a Small, which seems unlikely), the Enfield's profile is positively minimalistic. I still may get an A2 down the line (I'm leaning Gibson and Barnes) or maybe their Raider jacket. With two cowhide jackets, I'm thinking goatskin since it isn't for the motorbike. I'll drive to their showroom and make certain that it fits "just so."
Teton1.jpg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
The Enfield isn't closely fitted as are the Cafe Racers. Sounds to me as though you have a good fit in the torso, but at 5'9" it may be a bit long for you. I am 6' and a 44 is a good fit for me. Even in sunny SoCal you will want to wear a vest on many of your rides. If a motorcycle jacket doesn't allow that, it loses much of its utility. My chest measures 42". I got the 44 because I wanted extra room for layering. Plus I don't like a tight fit in outerwear, especially in my motorcycle jackets.

I have long arms, so I like the extra length in the sleeves. I would rather have a MC jacket with arms too long than too short. If too long just push them up. If too short, they're just short.

If you post pictures we can better assess the fit. But the only opinion that matters is yours.

Simple matter to post photos. I use both a Mac and Windows. While the mechanics of each system will be different, the procedure is the same. Photobucket now makes it too easy. Find the photo you want to post and hover your cursor over it. Look below the photograph. There will be several codes under the photo. The last code will be the IMG code. This is the one you want. Click the code. The message "Copied" will briefly flash. The code is now on your PC. Next place your cursor where in your post you want the picture to appear and paste it. The code, when pasted, will have IMG on both ends of the code inside brackets. You can go "Advanced" to preview your post and the picture. The picture should post such as this:

Misc016.jpg

This is my Enfield when new about 1 1/2 years ago. The picture is too small to tell much about fit. I only had a Tshirt on underneath, so it will appear a little large in the photo. As with most modern American outerwear, there is more room around the waist than I need. Makes it appear I have more in the middle than I do.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Thanks a million on the tutorial, Peacoat, and I'd love to hear your opinion now that I have the pic up. I agree it's a little too long, but not enough to get rid of it and start over. Also I've been too lazy ;) to tighten the side belts to either of the two open holes which will slim it up a little.

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi Vespizzare,

I don't ride, but from a "fashion" standpoint I think that your jacket fits fine.

Enjoy,
Philalethes

Oh, and I might add, the Enfield might be my next jacket (purchased from a dealer - not directly from Vanson!) - when I can afford it!

Last edited:

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
v., your jacket looks like the perfect fit. i like mine one-half to one size up from that as i'm a poser, not a rider. but as for the fit in your pic, i can't imagine wanting it any tighter...looks good.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
v., your jacket looks like the perfect fit. i like mine one-half to one size up from that as i'm a poser, not a rider. but as for the fit in your pic, i can't imagine wanting it any tighter...looks good.

Thanks, Man. Coming from a hardcore guy like you, that means a lot. I really like wearing it while riding. It's as warm as my Teton and so much lighter, but a little voice in my head keeps saying, "If you go down, you'll be sorry you weren't wearing armor."

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
You can't really look at it that way. "If you go down".....you'll be sorry you weren't in a car.......

I think you just got yourself a great jacket!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
You can't really look at it that way. "If you go down".....you'll be sorry you weren't in a car.......

I think you just got yourself a great jacket!

Way back when I used to ride without a helmet, but wouldn't dream of doing it now (even if it was legal - which it isn't). Similar dynamic, except not so drastic. Of course I do have a Ruby, like my terribly good friends Brad Pitt and George Clooney ;) . The Teton will always be better when it isn't as cold, though, due to it's fantastic venting.

Ruby-Pavillon-St-Honore_160_1LIDW.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael