Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Schott 654 lightweight cafe racer?

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Hi, since I am not a motorcycle rider I am looking for a more lightweight and comfortable version of the Cafe Racer motorcycle jacket. I love the British heritage of this jacket and the culture of these early '60's rockers who would strip down their bikes and race from cafe to cafe on the British turnpikes. I am looking at the Schott 654, which is described as a "lightweight casual racer made of waxy cowhide."

If the 654 is not worthy, I'll go for the 641, which has gotten expansive reviews at this forum and also has a removable liner that makes it more comfortable and less warm.

If anyone has the time, perhaps you can look up the 654 and share your thoughts.

mrc

Familiar Face
Hmmm, checked it out and saw that there was another style next to it, the 660, which is much more British style with the two chest pockets. I will say, though, that Schott's "light weight" leather feels very flimsy to me. I really do like this style, though, the back with no "action" is exactly what they were wearing in the 60s. The 654 and the 641 are very 70s--I've seen Schott's from this era and they haven't changed this one much. If you want British style, go for the 660 (caution against that light weight leather, though...) or get a lengthened Vanson cafe racer (there's a shop in Seattle, Insurrection, that keeps them in stock).

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Thanks mrc, I'm also looking at the 660. I'm not sure about the 28" length; how that would compare to the length on the 641. You say the 660 is more British?

I don't know, maybe I should just go with the 641 and be done with it. it also is a vintage style on a vintage last and it's got thicker leather and a removable liner. It's a tough but pleasant dilemma to have.

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
You could try a Lewis Leathers 'Sportsman' or 'Super Sportsman': http://www.lewisleathers.com/89. Probably quite expensive for you being in the States, but it doesn't get more 60's rocker/Cafe Racer than LL!

They're an iconic British brand and make wonderful jackets.

I ride, and have just bought a 'Super Monza' which is lovely. It's exquisitely made and tailored and uses a beautiful soft cowhide of, I'd estimate, about 3-3.5oz. I also own 2 Aeros (and have had a few more that I've sold on) and the Monza is easily on a par with them in my eyes. A lighter hide yes, but still durable enough for me to ride in, and also a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Really nice guys at the company too.

Nick

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Nice one. Many people who own bike jackets don't ride bikes, many people with A2's don't fly planes, many people with Luftwaffe jackets are not Nazis...

Quite right Seb. I wasn't in the USN in Vietnam but I still wear one of their Peacoats, but then, I am a poseur... IMO vintage style bike jackets are design classics and fair game for anyone, rockers, punks or Floungers alike.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Quite right Seb. I wasn't in the USN in Vietnam but I still wear one of their Peacoats, but then, I am a poseur... IMO vintage style bike jackets are design classics and fair game for anyone, rockers, punks or Floungers alike.

Yep. And I wear an MA1 and a M65 Field Jacket - I am not an American nor have I served in the military.

Yep. And I wear an MA1 and a M65 Field Jacket - I am not an American nor have I served in the military.

Well, I'ma helluva poser then as I eat pizza, Brautwurst, Vindaloo.
I ride a Honda motorcycle (usually) and drive a Toyota.
I have clothing made in Scotland, Germany, and Italy.
I have Swiss watches and watch French movies.
I cook on an English oven.

And I'm a bloody American? Y'all have found me out. Must. Go. Hide. Now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'ma helluva poser then as I eat pizza, Brautwurst, Vindaloo.
I ride a Honda motorcycle (usually) and drive a Toyota.
I have clothing made in Scotland, Germany, and Italy.
I have Swiss watches and watch French movies.
I cook on an English oven.

And I'm a bloody American? Y'all have found me out. Must. Go. Hide. Now.

How can you live with yourself? ;)

Acererak

One of the Regulars
Just a note..... you'll like like a poser in a motorcycle jacket with no motorcycle...

I realize this is an old post, but I see this kind of wannabe biker bravado all over the place, so I may as well respond here: What if you wear a baseball cap but aren't a baseball player? A trucker jacket but aren't a trucker? A bomber jacket but don't fly planes? A Rolex submariner but don't scuba dive? I could go on. Biker jackets are iconic pieces of clothing. Classic styles, like dive watches, have been replaced by newer technology. Serious scuba divers use dive computers instead of bezels these days. Just like serious riders wear armor. So wearing a cafe racer for warmth and style is actually more practical than using it to protect against spills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21