Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie clip / tie bar

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
Sorting through my tie bars today I didn't realize how many were horse-related. Here's some....

horselinks100.jpg
[/IMG]

Hope you're into horses!

Annixter

Practically Family
Dating Tie Bars

Now that my vintage tie collecting has started, I need to find at least one tie bar. I'm going to some vintage clothing shops soon, and I have a question about dating such things as tie bars. Below I have posted pictures of tie bars from the tie bar thread, so some help understanding the age difference and how one may tell would be great. Does it have to do with the type of hinge/clamp, the rod thickness and/or overall shape, etc.?

4-12.jpg

bar1100.jpg

DSC04309.jpg

DSC04313.jpg

DSC04311.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Well, since the top two are mine. The 'V' is easy to date as early 40s mainly because 'V for Victory' was a WWII slogan. I've never seen tie clasps from the 20s. The 1930s seemed to have these 'paper clip' backs...went into the 40s, too. I've found many of these 'clips' to be identical....just having a multitude of different objects soldered on to them. I do have a 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair tie bar, though, that is so high-tech with a 'roller' on it to help it glide across the tie that it beats the newest ones made today. Width is the best way to date them, though. As tie widths narrowed so did the clasps. 1940s-early 50s clasps could be over 3" wide. Mid to late 50s are 2-3" and have the 'pincher' clasp. By the early 60s they could be as narrow as one inch. There were three big makers of these and their names were engraved on the back: Anson, Swank and Hickock. Hope that helps.

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks for the explanation; judging age by width makes since. Your adivce helped me at a flea market I just returned from where I found three tie clips. I'll post them in the tie clip/bar thread.

Annixter

Practically Family
I just picked these up at a flea market. The sword and blue rectangle ones are made by Swank, and the torque wrench has "Leavens" on the back. The sword has the longest tie width at 3", the blue rectangle is 2.5", and the torque wrench is 1.5". Due to the heavy-duty design of the torque wrench clip, I wagered that it is an earlier clip for the narrow tie period; plus it was too cool to pass up.

Quigley Brown, check out the blue rectangle clip, as it has a roller on the back that you described in the thread on clip dating. The blue has a small chip in it, and the silver is warn a bit on the front, but I liked it nonetheless.

TieBars.jpg

TieBarsBack.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
QB has pretty much nailed it on the head. The "paper clip" backing seems to have disappeared in the early-'50s, being followed by the pincher clasps. But there was also a straight clip design which was around during the "Bold Look" period (and which I find the most prone to shifting during normal wear). I also have one which has that roller that QB mentioned; too bad neither my first or last name begin with the letter G so prominantly displayed on the bar!

Annixter

Practically Family
Yeah, I like the torque wrench a lot too, but it's a shame it is too narrow for my ties. It fits well about 2 inches down from the knot, which gives a nice touch, but doesn't function as a tie clip at all. I suppose I could wear it way off center further down.

storman113

Familiar Face
Very informative subject. Will help a ton when out and about at vintage/thrift stores.

Picked these up cause of the subject. Took me a while to figure out how to open it up then noticed the hinge pin on one side. Clip is 2 1/4, brand is Swank.

Any ideas of when produced, I'm guessing late 50's.

The clip posted earlier that looks like a big "V". Looks like a carpenters adjustable square to me.

Clip1.jpg

Clip2.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
storman113 said:
Very informative subject. Will help a ton when out and about at vintage/thrift stores.

Picked these up cause of the subject. Took me a while to figure out how to open it up then noticed the hinge pin on one side. Clip is 2 1/4, brand is Swank.

The clip posted earlier that looks like a big "V". Looks like a carpenters adjustable square to me.

Clip1.jpg

Clip2.jpg

I have a similar set only with fish. My guess is mid-50s.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
storman113 said:

Clip1.jpg

Clip2.jpg

That is a unique clasp! Swank was really a large producer of men's jewelery.

storman113

Familiar Face
Unusal Clips

Visiting in Reno last week and stopped by some of the shop's. Thought I'd throw some money at them as well as the table's!

Picked up a couple tie clips and bars and one that I don't know what it clips!!!

I like this tie bar, it's real easy to put on!
TiePinClip2.jpg

TipPinClip1.jpg

I like the 'no lok' patent
ClipNoLock.jpg

Haven' figured out what this one is? Any ideas? Didn't notice the Greek Key on the back till I was taking the picture.
FunnyClip2.jpg

FunnyClip1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore