Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie no longer required

Weston

A-List Customer
Even Britain, long the defender of decency and upholder of elegant values of another time, cannot stop the downward progression of society. Sad.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sad story, Matt. I right there with you, reversing the trend!

One thing that I don't understand here is the tendency to wear a tie, but no coat. Guys dress like that all the time here, and I suppose I should be thankful they haven't shed the tie yet, but I still want to tell them they're only half dressed.

Brad

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I know that here in Scandinavia, tie wearing in the workplace is not required- different if you're actually personally serving the public though of course.
But then I wouldn't like to be forced to wear a tie if I was just working with 'the guys' in an office that doesn't see the light of day I guess.

Ties go with suits- no suit, no need....

B
T

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
We're required to wear collared shirt and tie at my place of work, and I'm a civil servant.

I work in a library that looks better than the Library of Congress (in my opinion), so we try to keep up appearances.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Sorry folks, I only wear a suit and tie to Church, and only sometimes to dinner.

I work for myself, my uniform of the day, as it were, is khaki work chinos and a chambray shirt, fedora or eight panel cap. Sometimes boots but lately black leather low quarter blutcher oxfords.

matei

One Too Many
I remember reading with great dismay that article.

On my way in to work the other day (near Aldgate in London) I stopped on the corner and did a quick count of how many men were wearing ties with their suits. (Okay, a bit weird - but I had lots of time to kill)

Out of the twenty gentlemen that passed by... only three were wearing ties! I was truly disappointed.

Not only do men not seem to be wearing ties nowadays, but very, very few go through the effort to shine their shoes either.

ClintonHammond

Suspended
I can't imagine why anyone wants to wear a noose around their neck...

The are a necessary evil in dress wear, sure, but all the time? Makes me choke just thinking about it....

Chamorro

A-List Customer
You know who is really to blame for this? Us. Americans. Even more specifically Californians. It's the Californication of the entire planet. Good or bad, depends on one's perspective ... although I do sometimes think society is becoming way too casual.

And yes, I am not wearing a tie in my avatar. I didn't go to church that day ... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner