Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Tacks

Highlander

A-List Customer
I shun them... I encourage everyone I know to shun them, but some keep poking holes in their nice ties. Your thoughts????

Bugsy

One Too Many
I used to wear tie tacks all the time; then I discovered really good ties. I have a lovely collection of tacks which sit proudly in my jewelry box. There is no way I'm going to poke a hole in either a vintage tie, or a modern one that cost around $200.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I use them with caution. Bold Look ties are often too wide to use with a tie bar, so I will sometimes employ a tie tack. My experience is, depending on the fabric used, that the resulting hole will close up fairly well. Having said that, a stick pin would be preferable.

HatRak

Familiar Face
FWIW, taking some ultra-fine sandpaper (roughly 400 grit) to the pin can help minimize the damage. Round the point off and polish the sides. If the point is rounded, it will tend to push the fabric threads apart, sliding between them without much damage. A sharp point, and especially one that is rough, will catch the threads and cut them causing the very damage you want to avoid. This is why ball point needles are used in some types of sewing.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
I use them with caution. Bold Look ties are often too wide to use with a tie bar, so I will sometimes employ a tie tack. My experience is, depending on the fabric used, that the resulting hole will close up fairly well. Having said that, a stick pin would be preferable.

My thoughts eggsackley. I use tie tacs every time I wear a tie (regular, not bow, natch), with one or two exceptions throughout the year when I use a clip.

I prefer a tac because it keeps the tie in place as I move around.

Bugsy

One Too Many
For the gentleman who doesn't use either a tie tack or a clasp, may I suggest the "Tie Thing". I have several and find them a wonderful way to keep my tie in place all day long including when wearing a waistcoat. The design is so simple, I'm amazed someone hadn't thought of it before. A very effective accessory. http://thetiething.com/product.aspx

cptjeff

Practically Family
Bugsy said:
For the gentleman who doesn't use either a tie tack or a clasp, may I suggest the "Tie Thing". I have several and find them a wonderful way to keep my tie in place all day long including when wearing a waistcoat. The design is so simple, I'm amazed someone hadn't thought of it before. A very effective accessory. http://thetiething.com/product.aspx
Interestingly enough, I have a vintage tie that has something like that already built into the tie. It has a loop for the small end in back, and attached to the back of said loop is a brass clasp. Quite clever.

I looked up the patent number, and the patent also specified a magnet to be installed in the end of the tie to hold it to the top of the belt buckle. That part isn't present in my tie, and I doubt it made it into actual production.

As for tacks, the only one I ever wear is my eagle scout one. I find that if I'm careful to part threads instead of rip through them it closes up just fine.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I prefer a tie tack over a bar. But, if I'm concerned about damaging the tie and the tie has a loop on the back to hold the skinny end I just put the tack through the loop. Keeps the tie in place, is invisible, and doesn't damage the tie fabric.

I have to say that I have ties I've owned for many years and used tie tacks on (through the tie) without any visible damage though.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I like Tie-bars.

When I went to the jewelry store to bye one, I was greeted with raised eyebrows and told that no one really stocks them anymore because there's no call for them. That may be true. And it may be for that very reason that they seem to make such a bold statement of classic male elegance.

Also, I don't have to worry about them punching a hole into, or ripping a thread out of my favorite tie.

Tony

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Typically...

...I use a small, 2" tie bar holding the small end of the tie. I put the small end through the loop "keeper" in the back of the tie and then use the clip below the keeper and between the buttons. It doesn't show or damage the tie, and keeps the tie from moving.

Some folks favor the chains that have a small hanger that hooks over a button on the back of the tie. Those can look good with the right tie.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Mid-fogey said:
...I use a small, 2" tie bar holding the small end of the tie. I put the small end through the loop "keeper" in the back of the tie and then use the clip below the keeper and between the buttons. It doesn't show or damage the tie, and keeps the tie from moving.

Some folks favor the chains that have a small hanger that hooks over a button on the back of the tie. Those can look good with the right tie.

My dad uses one of those. Looks nice enough, but the links often get twisted oddly, which screws it up somewhat.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Mid-fogey said:

That first idea is a good one, if your tie has the loop. As for tie bars w/chains, I've got a few, and like 'em. My "rarest" features a RCA TV picture tube on the chain, and likely dates around 1950.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Atinkerer said:
Hi,

I like Tie-bars.

When I went to the jewelry store to bye one, I was greeted with raised eyebrows and told that no one really stocks them anymore because there's no call for them. That may be true. And it may be for that very reason that they seem to make such a bold statement of classic male elegance.

Also, I don't have to worry about them punching a hole into, or ripping a thread out of my favorite tie.

Tony

They're still sold here in L.A., although tie tacks seem to outnumber them. What I do like about tie bars, apart from the elegance that you mention, is that when they're employed, the necktie stays down and doesn't pop out from under the jacket, something which is needed when wearing low-cut, post WWII SB suits (and some DB,too).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
HatRak said:
FWIW, taking some ultra-fine sandpaper (roughly 400 grit) to the pin can help minimize the damage. Round the point off and polish the sides. If the point is rounded, it will tend to push the fabric threads apart, sliding between them without much damage. A sharp point, and especially one that is rough, will catch the threads and cut them causing the very damage you want to avoid. This is why ball point needles are used in some types of sewing.

Good hint, HatRak, and makes sense!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
How about a "Bold Look" sized vintage tie clip? I've never been a fan of sticking tie tacks in my vintage ties, so I use tie clips from the era on my 40's ties.

Widebrim said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails