Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too much damage?

rrog

A-List Customer
I ordered a moonstone Fed IV from hatsdirect.com. It came today. I immediately saw the box had been crushed and re-covered with extra tape. I opened the box and sure enough, the hat was crushed on one side. I've added the pictures below but my question is, should I contact hatsdirect to send it back for another or is the damage not severe enough to un-do? The main creases I'm worried about run front-to-back just above the ribbon. In my limited experience, creases in this area of the hat don't work out as easily as ones on the crown. Do you think I'm worrying too much about it and they will work out over time or is there too much damage done? The second picture shows how the sweat band is now curling out because of the way it's been smashed. And as I've previewed the pictures, I see the lighting isn't real good. The creases are actually more noticeable in person.

(edited to add: the bottom picture is more indicative of the true color of the hat.)

Thanks in advance,
rrog

100_0911.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0915.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0917.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0918.jpg
[/IMG]

High Pockets

Practically Family
I got one from Optimo that looked worse than that the other day, but it was old felt and worked out kinda easy,.....I had to "over" bend it to get it to stay. What I mean is; when I steamed it I pushed it out/in "more" than it took to make it flat, I "reversed" the creases and fortunately it returned to the right position.

It'll be ok.

Makes you want to find the APE that did that though, doesn't it? :)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would say it just is added character!

If you give it a gentle steam from the kettle, and the "crease" is not a "fold", then the hat is probably acceptable.

You do have the right to send it back and claim damage. But a good quality hat should be able to withstand you sitting on it for a car ride home.

Zohar did that to his optimo......search and see on the Lounge!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
If you contact Hats Direct, they would probably let you try to steam it out and if you weren't happy, give you the option to return. E-mail them and include a photo. I've always found their service to be excellent.

DC3

New in Town
A couple of questions came to mind rrog. 1. Did you get insurance? and 2. Does the hat's actual condition make it unrecoverable. Either one of those answers the question. Number three came to mind as I was typing. If the cost to reshape it to it's original conditions, is less than the cost and time to replace it, then I'd just get it fixed.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got one last week that was crushed much worse than that, it was literally 2 1/2" high (check out the new hat thread to see the box and the repaired hat. I worked on it for about 2 hours and eventually got even the fold to be almost imperceptible. I have tinkered with it a bit more and, except for it being softer than when I started, it seems fine. I think that one should be repairable with a little work. Don't you just love the USPS?

Tone

A-List Customer
Pretty much any new hat can take a squash or two (or three or four) and reshaped back into shape just fine. It isn't until the stiffener really starts to break down over time that it might affect how the hat looks when worn. The question is, however, how much time had it set in that position and IS IT interfering with what you are trying to style into the hat?

Akubras, like many other hats, can take the squish with no ill-effects.

Case in point, the Akubra Adventurer here:
adventurerprocess2.jpg

adventurerprocess1.jpg

adventurerprocess4.jpg

It's not a major feat to have a hat spring back - and look great - after being squashed, intentionally or not. But - if the crease settles during shipping, you may find yourself constantly fighting an area of the hat that just spent too much time in that position and doesn't want to do what you intended. The Fed IV, I believe, is the same durable Imperial felt as the Akubra Adventurer so it should be fine.

But there's a difference between doing it on purpose and making due with what has set during shipping.

If it's not affecting an area you are trying to crease - and if it hasn't stayed in that condition for too long - then it'll most likely spring back and let you crease it the way you want.

Although something like the Adventurer is mainly for outdoors and looks good with some dings; personally, if I ordered a new, open-crowned hat in a dressier gray for suits and such, I'd want it looking pristine for me to style as I wanted from the start.

Send it back.

jpbales

Practically Family
I would avoid sending it back if possible. It would take forever and likely cost you a lot in shipping.
I would avoid filing an insurance claim as well. My dad told me horror stories of how long it takes before those claims go through. Then, the claims money often goes to the sender, and not you, so then the sender has to send you the money and a whole mess of junk which would probably take months and months to settle.
The hat will probably be O.K. with some steaming and playing with, but if not I'm sure hats direct would take it back and send you a new one.

Tone

A-List Customer
Oh. Does Hatsdirect not cover shipping a hat back to them if there's a problem like this?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think Hatsdirect will cover the shipping and exchange the hat. While the hat can certainly take the abuse, you didn't pay for a pre-crushed hat, and I'm sure hatsdirect is well aware of this sort of thing happening from time to time.

The choice is:

1) if not irrepairablely damaged, or easily fixed with some steam and manipulation is it worth the wait to replace?

2) If too damaged or you're willing to wait then I'd contact the vendor via email attach pictures then ask their opinion as to how to return.

Out of the number of hats shipped by the various hat vendors in Australia, this seems like a rare occurence. My Campdraft arrived in excellent condition.
A lot of stuff that is shipped should be insured and this is a lesson for those of us that buy by mail.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Andykev said:
If you give it a gentle steam from the kettle, and the "crease" is not a "fold", then the hat is probably acceptable.

You do have the right to send it back and claim damage. But a good quality hat should be able to withstand you sitting on it for a car ride home.

Zohar did that to his optimo......search and see on the Lounge!

:arated: I'm with Andy here - bash it real good! ;)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Well I feel your pain, but I think you'll be alright. What I would do if email HatsDirect, tell them what happened and let them know that you are going to try and steam it back to it's SHIPPED STATE. That means no creases. Hatsdirect's policy has always been once you bash it, you keep it. If you can't steam it back to original without any heavy creases, I'd start working on having a replacement sent.

With all that being said, I would say that you've got pretty good odds of steaming it back to original (lots of steam - until the felt is nice and supple). I've sat on a hat and fixed and I've changed some deep pretty deeply creased fold before too. Did I say lots of steam yet?

Either way, good luck. The Moonstone Fed IV is one of my favourites.

When you order certain goods and /or under certain circumstances when the box arrives badly damaged you can refuse to accept the package noting such damage.

Don't forget to send a picture or two of the box in the shape it was in when it arrived, this may allow the vendor to make a claim against the shipper.

Photos are always a good idea with UPS, Fed Ex and the like.

Also, don't toss out any packing materials as that becomes "evidence" for the claim if one is made.

rrog

A-List Customer
Update

Here's the deal. I emailed Jenny at hatsdirect and she advised me to try to steam out the creases. If I can't get them out to my satisfaction, they'll send another hat. No mention was made as to who would pay shipping. I went ahead and contacted them because I know they have a policy of not accepting returns on hats that have already been bashed. So I'm willing to give it a try and they know in advance that the hat arrived at my door that way.

rrog

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog said:
Here's the deal. I emailed Jenny at hatsdirect and she advised me to try to steam out the creases. If I can't get them out to my satisfaction, they'll send another hat. No mention was made as to who would pay shipping. I went ahead and contacted them because I know they have a policy of not accepting returns on hats that have already been bashed. So I'm willing to give it a try and they know in advance that the hat arrived at my door that way.

rrog

That is what I would have suggested. Good move CYA:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

MCrider

A-List Customer
rrog,
That stinks that your Federation came like that, but since Hatsdirect knows the problem go ahead and steam it. More than likely it will end up better than you'd ever imagine. I had a pile of coats thrown on top of mine during a visit to the in-laws. I smiled and made nice for the family, but inside I was steaming (no pun intended). A little work with a kettle and it popped back in shape. I'd say since they advised you to steam it, you've got nothing to lose.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Rrog, you've gotten good advice, esp. from AndyKev and Tone. You did pretty near what I was getting ready to recommend - send them an e-mail with a picture and say you're going to try to fix it up, but if it just ain't happening, you're going to send it back. They are very good folks at Hats Direct.

However, this shouldn't have to happen. One of my four Feds arrived in a box with a hole in the top! Missed the hat however. Only lucky that time. They really shouldn't just slap some tape on the regular hat box and send it halfway around the world, as I've noted before. Cardboard boxes and old newspapers aren't pricey.

You may know all this but...when you steam it, remember not to overdo it. I wouldn't use more than 15 seconds on any area at a decent space from the spout, and would keep moving it around all the time. It's mostly the fine vapor, not the heat that makes it work. Go bit by bit and not the whole hat at once. Bet it will return to shape.

About your pictures - I've beaten up every one of mine worse than that on purpose. I wanted the stiffener to break down, because the Heritage felt softens and feels much closer to a vintage hat after that. But...as someone else noted, keeping it mashed for days is a whole different matter! It could take a set. I'd spray the sweatband too and steam it a bit, then flatten it with glassware or on my head and let it dry while worn.

I really think everything will come around for you. Hope so anyway! Best of luck!

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace