Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Old for a Short Leather Jacket?

spike42

New in Town
Mind if I add my thoughts? I've never really worn coats because, as someone already noted, I never liked sitting on them in the car. I love jackets, but it's always
been a struggle given my build. When I used to ride, I had one Vanson cafe type, plus the ubiquitous HD "biker" style (bought at the HD dealer at the same time
I bought my bike, so he had incentive to give me a great deal on the coat). When not on the bike, I literally wore out a Schott "bomber" jacket (ya ya I know :) One
thing all these jackets had in common was that I always bought black. Never occured to me to buy anything other; the Henry J Ford approach. Car accident injuries
ended my riding days, followed by 15 years of hard drinkin'; next thing you know I weigh 345 lbs. I wore Carhartt hoodie things in
size 3XLT and avoided the mirror.

Having finally gotten past all that, and back to the 195 lbs I'm supposed to be, I decided to reward myself with a new flight jacket. Research for that quest is actually
what led me here. However, the other thing that seems to have changed when I wasn't looking, is the calendar. Dang if I ain't 60 years old alluva sudden. I bought a
few ebay jackets with limited success (there's another thread on that subject). The ones I bought (and resold at a loss) were also black.....but suddenly I felt just a
tad old, wearing a black coat. I snagged a deal on an LL Bean that almost fits, and it's my first "brown" (seal of course) jacket. This is strictly personal opinion but for
some reason I don't feel quite as much a geezer in the brown jacket. My wife doesn't even give me "that look" when I wear the Bean.
So now I know two things for sure - I'm gonna order something from somewhere, made to fit me instead of taking what I can find/get. I also know it's gonna be
brown - now I just need to save up the money, but in the meantime I will agonize over which exact shade of brown.

And for the record, I love this forum! And all you guys post some awesome pictures of some really nice jackets...thanks for that!

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Saying that is like saying if you're prematurely grey and out of shape you shouldn't wear that either,or is it that it looks ridiculous no matter who wears?

The outfit I described would look ridiculous on any 60 year old man no matter his hair or body situation. High tops, skinny jeans, and tight T just wouldn't look right at that age. Like it or not your age does dictate what you should or should not wear.

Ishmael

Practically Family
This is just a platitude, in reality it's just not true at all. There are many styles of dress that simply aren't age appropriate and just look absurd. Put a 60 year old man in high tops, skinny jeans, tight T and he looks ridiculous. Put him in a Brooks Brothers suit he looks distinguished.

Dr. V, I understand the point you are trying to make. But I think you may have reached too far to make it. High tops, a tight t shirt and skinny jeans doesn't look good on anybody, ever.
I see gents well into their 60s over here in Japan wearing youthful clothes and they look SPLENDID and COOL. It's truly a pleasure to see them too, since they emit joie de vivre.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
The outfit I described would look ridiculous on any 60 year old man no matter his hair or body situation. High tops, skinny jeans, and tight T just wouldn't look right at that age. Like it or not your age does dictate what you should or should not wear.

But we digress the topic wasn't if high tops look good on grandpa it was about short jackets and IMHO I feel there is lots of leeway,but again it's only my opinion.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
My wife has no say in what I wear. We have a very egalitarian relationship. I buy all of my own clothes. We do purchase gifts of clothing for each other but after 22 years together we know each others style pretty well. I would never comment on how she chooses to assert her individuality and it definitely works the same for me. Don't think for a moment that we are not opinionated but out of respect for our mutual self interest we generally don't go to the point of defining what is still cool for old farts of either gender as I am almost 65 and she is 58.

So having said this we are both pretty kooky and my youngest daughter who has listened to both of us over the years and observed our rather varied interest in clothing certainly has her own unique style which we both applaud. Oh and she got her first Aero at 10; mid-weight horse "Highwayman" of course.

Personally I think it is your choice. I would add that LW Peacoat is gorgeous but a GW A-2 or 30's Halfbelt could be really cool too.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I agree short jackets look best on a frame that is not over weight.
Another thought I've always had in the back of my mind looking at longer halfbelts or stockmans or Cheyennes they all look a bit more dressy to me. Short A2's and biker/aviator jackets look more utilitarian.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Is this guy too old for his short leather jacket? No Sir, I don´t think so....

indiana-jones-picture.jpg

I wouldn't consider Indy's Jacket short.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
What is your definition of short jacket? The one of this blonde?

downloaded_bsg.jpg

The one on the right looks as if she would rather be anywhere else than with someone wearing a jacket the maker of which seems to have lose three-quarters of the way through and thought: "Sod it, that'll do."

Peacoat

Bartender
Well..using that rationale..it would be mandatory that I sell all my leather jackets since none are long coats..and I'm evidentally way over the limit(13 yrs older than you). However..I have no plans to do that.
Never much cared for sitting down on long leather coats every time I take a seat. Maybe when I get saddled with a walker..I can just stand all the time,though...:D

HD

I agree, HD, you need to sell your jackets; don't know how you have kept them this long. And sell them cheaply to get rid of them. I am your size. Sell them to me.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
The one on the right looks as if she would rather be anywhere else than with someone wearing a jacket the maker of which seems to have lose three-quarters of the way through and thought: "Sod it, that'll do."

That's a ladies style known as a"Bolero Jacket" and it's quite popular and not bad looking on the right lady IMHO

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
That's a ladies style known as a"Bolero Jacket" and it's quite popular and not bad looking on the right lady IMHO

I assume that nobody here is a fan of Battlestar Galactica and nobody recognised Lucy Lawless...anyway IMO Tricia Helfer is the right lady for that jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I seem to remember the lead singer of Yes Jon Anderson had a Bolero habit. I'm not sure if that's a recommendation or not...

I agree, HD, you need to sell your jackets; don't know how you have kept them this long. And sell them cheaply to get rid of them. I am your size. Sell them to me.

Sorry Peacoat. They'll hafta pry even my black hides out of my cold dead hands....and
I really could care less what these young whippersnappers try to be...as long as they stay the hell outa my damn yard!

IMG_0734.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner