Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Small?? Too big? Just right? or How to wear a hat!

These threads are helpful but they are from years ago. Who will answer me on such an old thread. There's a variety of opinions and I would like to have a conversation about it

Reviving an old thread serves several purposes. It allows members who haven't been exposed to opinions and knowledge from years ago to review and benefit from those previous posts. It also serves to make the site cleaner and consolidate threads so researching information is streamlined. An old thread with new posts will get the same attention as a new thread.

We revive and consolidate threads here all the time.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Reviving an old thread serves several purposes. It allows members who haven't been exposed to opinions and knowledge from years ago to review and benefit from those previous posts. It also serves to make the site cleaner and consolidate threads so researching information is streamlined. An old thread with new posts will get the same attention as a new thread. We revive and consolidate threads here all the time.
Reviving old threads is indeed a treasure trove of past comments, many of which need not be repeated. However, I'm loathe to suggest, given all the work that goes into this forum and much of it freely given too, that The Lounge does shoot itself in the foot when it comes to reviving such threads. When I put "Hat Positions," into the search I get everything from which (leather) jacket are you wearing today, to, you know that you're getting old. On the other hand when I searched the same subject on Google, this thread came up, along with others that were all pertinent to the subject matter. Had I been new to The Lounge how would I have known that Google was a better bet?

IT is definitely not my forte, but I do wonder if it's not possible for some sort of drop down reference to come up about past threads of the same or similar subjects when considering the posting of a new thread?

These threads are helpful but they are from years ago. Who will answer me on such an old thread. There's a variety of opinions and I would like to have a conversation about it

I agree that it’s not usually a good idea to “respond” to an old member’s post, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add to the thread. If you do so, the thread is bumped back to the top and we’re just as likely to despond to you t as we are to a new thread.

The real problem is that the same topics with the same answers get repeated over and over again. Additionally, there might be some nugget that only one thread has and now you have to read all 138 threads in hat etiquette to find it (as an example).

You’ll figure the forum out. Not a big deal and I’d rather have new members posting and contributing even if that comes with a few small issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dkstott

Practically Family
For my personal preference, it all depends on my mood.

The majority of the time, my hats are pretty close to where your preference is. But I'll also raise the hat up quite a bit on my forehead.

Give that Stylemaster a bit of time on your head. It'll become more flexible and will sit wherever you want it to be.
What do you think about position of the hat on your head? I like to wear my hats a little big, about 1 finger width above my eye brow. That's because I got started wearing fishermen hats for the sun, and they are loose by design and that's now how I prefer the fit.

My Stylemaster hat sits a bit high. I measured my head many times, and I am a 59 - 59.1 cm. I ordered 60 cm thinking it would be big and I could just use sizing foam strip to fill the gap. That would mean I could grow into the hat if it shrank. I actually think the 60 is a bit small on me as it sits 2-3 fingers above my eye brow. I did not order 61, because I ordered a XL Indy (Indiana Jones) Wool Fedora from Connor hats. The XL is listed as for sizes 61-60 and I it was too big. I could fill it with sizing tape but it still felt a bit loose. Since then it shrunk and feels fine with only one 1.5 inch sizing strip of sizing tape.

Some forums lock their posts after it's been a while. The internet is not that old. Where will all this information be in 100 years of answering posts? Well I guess all these posts should probably be merged then.

The important thing is that you really pull off your Stylemaster well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Some forums lock their posts after it's been a while. The internet is not that old. Where will all this information be in 100 years of answering posts? Well I guess all these posts should probably be merged then.

In addition to what some of our other learned members have stated above, as a long time member of various inet discussion boards, I can tell you that merged threads are generally easier to access than a bunch of related, separate threads.

On a board that I am a moderator on, I merge threads when the subject matter is the same as an older thread.

Merging threads keeps the place neat, information together and accessible, and readers get the benefit of seeing what people before them have thought about the subject at hand. There are no negatives to merging like threads.

Here, every time a thread is added to it gets brought to the top of the New Posts page and is very easily seen when you press New Posts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner