Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Small?? Too big? Just right? or How to wear a hat!

el_ote

Familiar Face
How about upside down?

OCMH... inquiring minds want to know!

when i first saw your second picture, i thought you had just turned the picture on its side and reposted until i saw the background. Nice hat BTW. I fell asleep watching From Hell last night. Loads of bowlers.

Joseph Gettings

New in Town
Hello all :) my Fedora fits on my head with the brim sort of at my hair line and I heard something about "two fingers at ear" and I can fit two fingers between my ear and my hat lol. Is my hay too small? If so how do I make it bigger?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
it should be comfortable ... that's honestly about it

post a pic

if it fits at your hairline it is probably too small ... unless it is comfortable and that is the look you desire

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Moon is Right , Comfortable , and depending on the "Look" you're going for , but you can Stretch a Hats to make them fit Better (usually not a huge amount) . But the Finger Thing , that's the normal space (One Finger) above your Eye Brows and Ears (generally) that a Hat should sit Comfortably and Secure . But that doesn't mean you can't sit your Hat back on your Head , just the General Rule of Measuring . You don't want a Hat (normally) down on your Ears (Too Large), or Riding Too High (Too Small) . Though , fashion wise, its done . Women often wear Hats (men's especially) too large and often over the ears , and younger Hipster Type Guys (often) like Hats sitting on the back of their Domes . But Older gentlemen will , many times , wear their Hats Tighter and Higher , too .

Like Moon said , Post a Picture .

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
But Older gentlemen will , many times , wear their Hats Tighter and Higher , too .
Thanks Mike! This "youngster" wears his hat with the brim just above - or just touching the tip of my right earlobe ;) :D

I agree with Moon and Michael here, but some of us like to angle the hat - and very slightly touch one ear.

Once in awhile you'll see a vintage hat with a small, light spot at the wearer's ear. That is salt residue from sweat on the ear.

There're many small variations in hat wearing. As already been said: Find your own, that feels right and comfortable to you. Also a picture would make "judging" easier :)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Mike! This "youngster" wears his hat with the brim just above - or just touching the tip of my right earlobe ;) :D

I agree with Moon and Michael here, but some of us like to angle the hat - and very slightly touch one ear.

Once in awhile you'll see a vintage hat with a small, light spot at the wearer's ear. That is salt residue from sweat on the ear.

There're many small variations in hat wearing. As already been said: Find your own, that feels right and comfortable to you. Also a picture would make "judging" easier :)

Well said Ole ! Everyone has their Styling and Profiling variations , but I didn't know you were Maurice Chevalier ...

d086443c4f6898ed6cbe03ec2230c2bd.jpg

But it looks Cool ! Nice Boater ! Dramatic ! ... but ear lobe !?

If I'm Styling I tilt mine , too , like my Grandfather did . But if I'm working I don't try Styling and Profiling . Though I have a few things to deal with like an odd shaped Dome (my Daughter says I'm like a Neanderthal , or American Indian , sloping forehead , high crown), plus a few oddities caused by surgery (Thankfully not as bad as Most I've seen !) , but most people never notice unless I point it out , then they can't stop noticing . Haha ! I'm Thankful and Blessed ! I can't wear a very raked Crown because of the way my head is , and need a tall Crown , too . That Stetson Strat is about as low as she goes , the Adam rests on my Head . Plus I have the LO thing , not as drastic as that Chart . I'd like to see a Conformitor
out line of the shape , everyones looks Crazy like a peanut , or most are .

That Stetson Premier Strat fit like a Custom , and dry Bashed !!! It is Really Nice ! Soft and Comfortable ! If they were All that Good it would be Great !

Some people actually do get over sized Hats , like 2 sizes larger , just for the purpose of tucking one ear in . SERIOUSLY Dramatic ! But however they like to wear their Hat is fine with me .

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wear my hats straight. My general rule of thumb for fit is that I wear hats low, but I don't want them to touch my ears. If they do they're too big.

I'd rather have a hat that's slightly too big than slightly too small, and pad the sweat so it fits probably. I have a hat stretcher but have never had much luck using it. The hats always eventually retract back to their smaller size. Too much bother for me to put the stretcher in one every time I take it off for the day. I'd rather pad out a bigger hat and be done with it.

Also, I have had hats that were slightly too big shrink with wear and sweating. Then they fit perfectly.

Joseph Gettings

New in Town
This is me wearing it :) also side note if I share my head it slides off eventually XD and I can usually pull it down to where its not too tight but still tighter than I'd like lol

Attachments

• 14635362010351112423924.jpg
    14635362010351112423924.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 3,598

tommyK

One Too Many
If I'm wearing a hat straight on, I'm usually looking for it to be about one finger width above my ears. I usually have a tilt so it usually does touch one ear or very nearly. it shouldn't dig into your forehead. Better a touch big than too small

As Moon said Comfort is the most important criteria. Function being a close second. I don't want the crown touching the top of my head. In the heat this can be very annoying. I want a descent amount of brim for shade and shielding my glasses from rain

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well said Ole ! Everyone has their Styling and Profiling variations , but I didn't know you were Maurice Chevalier ...
Haha ... Thanks Michael! I too thank Heaven for little girls, but I don't cock my hat quite as cocky as good old Maurice ;) :D

When I started wearing hats, I experimented with the look in front of a mirror. As I over time found a pleasing look, I tried to find "navigation points", so I could re-do the look without a mirror. One of those "points" was a very slight touch of my right ear - and the front brim edge in a specific position in relation to the frame of my glasses (seen from my POV). As the collection grew and brim widths became more divers, the glasses-trick turned out to be useless.

That's how I still like to wear my hats. The brim should just - or just not - touch my right ear. In my mind "ideally" hat wearing style is a personal thing, and this is my ideal :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Dane and tommy said that the hat touching an ear is fine. tommy said the top of his head is not. My criteria are ears are a no-no, but the top of my head is fine if it necessary to get the hat down low enough on my head. It's all about preference.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
I got a tall enough hat that I don't have to worry about it touching, though the way my bash is, it almost is perfect for how I like to wear it tilted to the side, makes it look parallel to the ground on top.. ;). And it wasn't my bash to start, I just modded it a little, but the general shape is the same and it already came like that, one side slightly higher than the other...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
though the way my bash is, it almost is perfect for how I like to wear it tilted to the side, makes it look parallel to the ground on top.. ;).
- and a funny thing is, that your ears are not parallel to the ground. Your optometrist will tell you, that on most of our heads, the right and left ear are positioned slightly different ... one a little higher than the other. When an opened pair of spectacles is put down on a tabletop, both temples are rarely touching the table at the same time.

Anyway, personalized wearing styles is one of the things, that make wearing hats (and the wearers' looks) interesting to me :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner