Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Small?? Too big? Just right? or How to wear a hat!

Liddleman

Familiar Face
I need to stretch a hat about one size. Being a regular oval, I'm just wondering whether one of the standard Hat Jack stretchers would put a long oval into the hat ?

I need to stretch a hat about one size. Being a regular oval, I'm just wondering whether one of the standard Hat Jack stretchers would put a long oval into the hat ?
Hat Jacks only stretch front & back. There are more expensive hat stretchers that stretch sides as well.
I use Hat Jacks to get regular oval modern hats to fit my LO shaped noggin....

Nyah

One of the Regulars
My size is apparently a long oval and because of it, I had to settle on a whole size larger for my felt fedora. This hat has shrunk down a lot, to the point that the front and back of it seem the proper size (or close to it) but, the sides still fit too loose. When I wear the hat with a 1/8" felt strip on even just one side, the hat almost starts feeling too tight. I'm currently awaiting a size-S Hat-Jack in the mail to see if that can help reshape this fedora (originally a 7&1/4) to fit me (22.5" L.O.) properly.

Some people are saying that Long Oval heads can count on rain saturation to help large hats conform properly right while being worn. Going on that, I'm wondering about deliberately wetting just the side areas of the sweatband and then wearing the hat that way for awhile. Are there any large oval members that think my idea is a valid solution for getting this fedora to properly conform to me?

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Nyah - being a hard-to-find size 7 7/8, I have also bought several hats in the next size up, because I'm a long oval, and most hats that fit snugly tend to do funky things on the sides, or front and back because of the pressure. I either end up with a Gabby Hayes upturn in the front, or "taco" hat sides. Going up a size helps, but I finally ended up just ordering custom hats from Art or Tony at Tumwater that were actually my size. No more wonky brims for me. Wetting the sweatband may help, but really you'll have to keep stretching off and on forever. Frank

Mustang

One of the Regulars
This subject fascinates me. The determining factor on how low my hat sits for me is crown height and the type of crease. Even with a deep teardrop on Federation IV, I could go no lower than "almost two fingers". It always feels like the wind from someone walking by briskly could knock it off my head. I think it's partly because of my hair (it gets pretty curly/wavy). Now I have a Vintage Silhouette with a six inch crown, diamond creased, and it sits in the same place, but it feels incredibly secure.

Last edited:

el_ote

Familiar Face
had to get up and check. i like my hats right at my ears, with the brim just touching or just off the upper round part. my older used hat sits more snug and higher on my head a finger width higher than the upper round of my ear while my newer hat fits a bit more loosely at the same size, but definitely touches my ear tops. maybe i should lower the crown and teardrop so i can sit it a bit higher. not to be right or wrong, but just so i can feel it higher on my head. i am still very new to hats!

- Elías O.

Personal opinion - forget about "should" and just wear your hats however they're most comfortable to you.

And just for clarification, that comment was a general statement not necessarily directed at Elias' post (even though it applies). :D

^^^^^ Ditto, ditto

I generally prefer fedoras to fit low -- nearly touching the tops of my ears. Boaters (it's that time of year) I prefer to wear much higher on my head. Indeed, a low-fitting boater would have its top touching the top of my noggin. Or so I would think.

el_ote

Familiar Face
i was just saying i haven't tried my hats up high is all... may want to give it a shot at some time. but i do love a low sitting hat

- Elías O.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Elias. Try it EVERY WHICH WAY. High. Low. And while your at it snap the brim up n down according to your mood, style of dress and situation. Tilt the hat back. Tilt it forward. Cock it to the side. EXPERIMENT!

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't wear mine so high if not for the necessity (big noggin, etc.). I prefer them lower. But, yeah, high, low, medium...it's all personal preference.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I personally like the hat to come just above the eartops, to no higher than one finger width above them. I also don't mind the top of the hat touching the top of my head. Actuallý, most, if not all of my hats touch the top of my head.

tommyK

One Too Many
Elias. Try it EVERY WHICH WAY. High. Low. And while your at it snap the brim up n down according to your mood, style of dress and situation. Tilt the hat back. Tilt it forward. Cock it to the side. EXPERIMENT!

Right on! I wear my hats all kinds of ways and have a lot of vintage hats so the fit is never consistant. I do prefer a finger's width above the ears as it gives me more room for a tilt if the mood strikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner