Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Bought another topper this weekend, a Dunn & Co black silk with a metal case for £60. The fit is good, the plush is in excellent condition save for a very small spot on the crown edge. I polishes very nicely, but wet polishing reveales a crease in front that is not visible from dry polishing. There is wear to the fabric under the brim, mostly on the left side, but as it hasn't worn all the way through it is wearable until I find one in better shape.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Knox Premier Quality Silk Top Hat, size 7 3/4 (XXL)

Got a very decent price for it, had to pass over a fine bowler as a result though. Arrived today, fits magnificently. Complete set, all in excellent condition. Hat in near-mint condition. Sweatband appears unused. Sold to me by a member of the lounge.

knox-view1-contrast.jpg

knox.jpg

detail3-knox.jpg

knox-detail2.jpg

knox-detail.jpg

knox-box-with-pad.png

knox-box.jpg

Proof it fits:
me-in-knox-734-contrast.jpg

Bought another topper this weekend, a Dunn & Co black silk with a metal case for £60. The fit is good, the plush is in excellent condition save for a very small spot on the crown edge. I polishes very nicely, but wet polishing reveales a crease in front that is not visible from dry polishing. There is wear to the fabric under the brim, mostly on the left side, but as it hasn't worn all the way through it is wearable until I find one in better shape.

Pics?

Last edited:

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Great pic! I googled it and I see it's from the 1920s, and that Raleigh became defunct in 1992. It's a shame so many of these great old shops are gone now. The hat looks brand new, like it could have been bought last week and never worn. And yet it's certainly over 50 years old.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Newturnofphrase very nice topper! Great find in that condition in your size.

I've posted this in the formal wear thread, but I finally got a chance to wear my 1913 Dunlop high silk with white tie and tails to the opening of the opera season last month. I had it conformed by Patey about two years ago and while it took awhile to get back I'm happy with the end result.

400740148.jpg

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Newturnofphrase very nice topper! Great find in that condition in your size.

I've posted this in the formal wear thread, but I finally got a chance to wear my 1913 Dunlop high silk with white tie and tails to the opening of the opera season last month. I had it conformed by Patey about two years ago and while it took awhile to get back I'm happy with the end result.

That's a phenomenal topper. I especially love the brim curl. Looks great :D

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Knox Premier Quality Silk Top Hat, size 7 3/4 (XXL)

Got a very decent price for it, had to pass over a fine bowler as a result though. Arrived today, fits magnificently. Complete set, all in excellent condition. Hat in near-mint condition. Sweatband appears unused. Sold to me by a member of the lounge.

My, that is pristine.

BTW, this is my friend's topper collection:

418053_2719198666751_1460573797_31915845_9880405_n.jpg

I am actually jealous. The top right one is actually a brown silk one.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Super jelly of that collection. The top left hat is something I've been after for a while, late 19th century mid-height English stovepipe. I question how many exist in my size. As for the brown one, I had an opportunity to get one on German ebay, but it was a little too small so I didn't bid. Thanks again for your awesome posts, Charlie, and good luck with the talk!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I haven't been hawking on eBay for some time as I seriously can't afford another one. Actually, if you do spot some gems from time to time (in a 7UK, 57cm), do give me a shout on Facebook or esoteric-mail in case I feel like bankrupting myself...

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
LOL will do Charlie!

I haven't been hawking on eBay for some time as I seriously can't afford another one. Actually, if you do spot some gems from time to time (in a 7UK, 57cm), do give me a shout on Facebook or esoteric-mail in case I feel like bankrupting myself...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot