Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto Hatter Leon Drexler

I’m looking at a Leon Drexler...any chance you can post your photos to this thread? I’m torn between a Leon Drexler and a BSHW, and if the past is any indication I’ll get both :)
I would love to see some of Steven’s work here.

http://www.leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Home.html
Yes, I will dig out the camera and snap some pics tomorrow in outdoor lighting. It is hard to compare and to me it is a toss up between BSHW and Leon Drexler. I went with a heather felt in the BS and it is not my favourite felt but it is an awesome hat. I love my Drexler's. The Drexler line is to me much more European in style ..lower crowns, a bit of taper. Steven Temkin's attention to detail is unmatched. Apparently,, as people who know him, he approaches OCD in his obsession with detail. He make a great hat. But then BS has amazing attention to detail and really nice touches that set him apart from the crowd. I am not sure why Bob at BS does not charge more for his hats. The Leon Drexler website is full of info. He has a great section where he shows the profiles of the blocks he uses and names which hat uses which block. Instructive is seeing the difference in the finished product.

Yes, I will dig out the camera and snap some pics tomorrow in outdoor lighting. It is hard to compare and to me it is a toss up between BSHW and Leon Drexler. I went with a heather felt in the BS and it is not my favourite felt but it is an awesome hat. I love my Drexler's. The Drexler line is to me much more European in style ..lower crowns, a bit of taper. Steven Temkin's attention to detail is unmatched. Apparently,, as people who know him, he approaches OCD in his obsession with detail. He make a great hat. But then BS has amazing attention to detail and really nice touches that set him apart from the crowd. I am not sure why Bob at BS does not charge more for his hats. The Leon Drexler website is full of info. He has a great section where he shows the profiles of the blocks he uses and names which hat uses which block. Instructive is seeing the difference in the finished product.

I’m thinking about a custom in his Venetian finish. I think 5 3/4 is as tall as his blocks go, and I too noticed the moderate taper in many of his photos. I’m fine with some variation as I don’t want a collection full of the same hat just in different colors. I just placed an order with Hufvud for a 100% beaver and an order with Hornskov for a 50/50 reshapable. I think that I need a BSHW and a Drexler to be able to compare them all. For some reason I’m not tempted by Optimo...well, maybe some of his Panama hats.

looking forward to seeing your Leon Drexler!

The Milaner is making me second guess my custom order.

CD1DB37E-3352-4916-B23B-97CC8C6AD867.jpeg

I’d go with a wider brim and the welterweight crown.

I’m thinking about a custom in his Venetian finish. I think 5 3/4 is as tall as his blocks go, and I too noticed the moderate taper in many of his photos. I’m fine with some variation as I don’t want a collection full of the same hat just in different colors. I just placed an order with Hufvud for a 100% beaver and an order with Hornskov for a 50/50 reshapable. I think that I need a BSHW and a Drexler to be able to compare them all. For some reason I’m not tempted by Optimo...well, maybe some of his Panama hats.

It is on my travel wish list to visit Chicago as I have only ever been to O'hare Airport. When there I will make a point of visiting Optimo just to see and feel their hats.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
It is on my travel wish list to visit Chicago as I have only ever been to O'hare Airport. When there I will make a point of visiting Optimo just to see and feel their hats.

O'Hare is an experience in itself, but there's definitely more to Chicago. If you're ever in the area hit me up. I can hop the local train and be downtown in the Loop in about 2-hrs. I'll even wear the Wolfbrae. ;)

There's a pretty nice (free) blues festival in the summer. The wife and I used to go every year until having kids. Lots of other things to see/do as well of course.

Time it just right and maybe Doc Max would be passing through for his yearly Wisconsin fishing trip. A Canadian, a Mexican, and an American walk into a hat shop...

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Brent, too, am curious to see your hats being made in Northern Europe and above all what I hope you will put in order at Leon Drexler. The Milaner model with the Venetian finish must be a delight.
For Hufvud my favorite model is Floki.
So you also know my preferences for models, for colors ...I have to think :)

The Milaner is making me second guess my custom order.

View attachment 254361

I’d go with a wider brim and the welterweight crown.
I cannot recall if I mentioned this previously.......Stephen Temkin was mentored by Art Fawcett. I am curious to know how many of our custom hatters Art taught or at least had a hand in their training. I suspect the web is wide.

I cannot recall if I mentioned this previously.......Stephen Temkin was mentored by Art Fawcett. I am curious to know how many of our custom hatters Art taught or at least had a hand in their training. I suspect the web is wide.

I’ve read Michael Gannon spent some time with him. Art seemed to have been willing to help those wanting to learn the trade.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Milaner. Here was Stephan’s reply:

“Thank you for inquiring. I'm sorry to say that I'm not taking new orders at the moment. My home studio is temporarily shut down while my wife and I consider the sale of our house and a possible move. I am, however, keeping a waiting list of interested customers and I'm happy to put your name on it if you like. You should know that the list is already a year long, so the wait time for a hat is considerable.”

Bummer. I wish him well and hope he returns to making hats soon. I did ask to be put on his waiting list.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Milaner. Here was Stephan’s reply:

“Thank you for inquiring. I'm sorry to say that I'm not taking new orders at the moment. My home studio is temporarily shut down while my wife and I consider the sale of our house and a possible move. I am, however, keeping a waiting list of interested customers and I'm happy to put your name on it if you like. You should know that the list is already a year long, so the wait time for a hat is considerable.”

Bummer. I wish him well and hope he returns to making hats soon. I did ask to be put on his waiting list.
Damn, I know he has had carpel tunnel issues in the past that have slowed him down. I hope he is well and this is a temporary hiatus. We can't afford to lose many more custom hatters.

Unfortunately he's retired. Back in June he referred me to Cody Wellema; his site now says that someone bought the business and will be reopening in the future.
Yes, he sold off his business but no word if it was to a fellow Canuck. I was fortunate to purchase a goodly supply of his fabulous vintage grosgrain. Stephen will be missed as he is a brilliant hatter.

chilehed

New in Town
Yes, he sold off his business but no word if it was to a fellow Canuck. I was fortunate to purchase a goodly supply of his fabulous vintage grosgrain. Stephen will be missed as he is a brilliant hatter.
$20 says it's another Canuck, it'd be hard to take over with the border closed. Which is why I never got one of his hats, I was just about to call him and drive to Toronto (I'm in Michigan) when they shut down the bridges.

The moire ribbon had to be sourced specially as well as the wind cord!
My word, that's a beautiful hat! *sigh*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner