Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two or Three Button

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question.... I am considering having a three piece suit made. It won't be a classic style but parts of different details that I have always enjoyed. The fabric will be medium to heavy weight depending on what I can find in a heather or dove gray color. I want a peaked lapeled jacket. I also want a double breated waistcoat. What would be a better combination: a two or three button jacket. I want the top or middle button to be just below my sternum.I have a long waist and very short legs. I am planning to have the pants come above my navel. Any thoughts would be appriciated.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
By the way-
the 1930s peaked lapel 2 button suit jacket quite often looked a little short
proportion-wise. It could work well for you.

If you're having semi-voluminous, high-waisted trousers and you find the "right"
cloth, you may well, inadvertently end up with quite a vintage look.
Especially if you get the "right"(again)button stance/closure height and lapel proportion.

You may achieve it without trying too hard.
Even if you aren't trying to...

B
T

DOUGLAS

Thank you gents.I will not have the hem too long. I actually prefer the shorter length with out a vent. I like three button jackets but was just a bit wary of how it would work with the db vest.

Feraud

Bartender
I would go for a two button jacket.
Check out this thread. There are some nice examples.
http://207.218.231.242/~thefedor/showthread.php?t=32397
The suit on the lower right has the look.
wards1935men_Page_02.jpg

DOUGLAS

Great Feraud, that is very similar to what I was thinking of. I also like the DB vest to the upper left. I would not mind paying less than $10 for a suit either.

Thanks much

DOUGLAS said:
I want the top or middle button to be just below my sternum.

Do you mean that whatever the button configuration, the closure button should be just below the sternum? If so, i would urge caution and serious reconsideration. That would be an extremely high closure button for a suit jacket, and i fear the jacket proportions would be thrown all out of kilter. For a 3 button jacket, the top button would be closer to the sternum, but for a 2 button, this should be on the waist - unless you propose rolling the lapel to the lower of the 2 buttons for closure?

(this is all predicated on what one considers "just below". My natural wiast, for example, is 5.5" below the base of my sternum. I wouldn't consider this "just below" but this is an understandably semantic argument.)

bk

DOUGLAS

Thank you BK for your concern. It is well noted. From my natural waist (which for me is just above my navel )to the start of my sternum is just shy of 8". I will surely try different button stances once I find the shape and size of the lapel. I have a jacket with peak lapels that I like. Perhaps I should take a photo of that one and maybe it will be easier to determine if it has the correct stance for what I am looking for.

DOUGLAS

I have not though about a single buttoned closure. My reasons for wanting something made is that I can control what type of fabric is used and I can dictate which details I want on the suit. I ultimately want to be able to where the pieces separately or combine them with other pieces to give me the greatest number of options for my wardrobe. A single button seems limiting or too formal. Maybe it is just my perception of how that looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran