Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two or Three Button

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
astaire.jpg

Fred Astaire in this photo is wearing a traditional six button double breasted... he has only buttoned the bottom button and let the lapel roll from the bottom button. Never have seen a six on one from the 40s... only the 80s and 90s.

The fad of buttoning the bottom button started in the 30s... then came back in the 40s a little.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Forgotten Man said:
Fred Astaire in this photo is wearing a traditional six button double breasted... he has only buttoned the bottom button and let the lapel roll from the bottom button.

Hate to disagree with you, but I must. Look even more closely at the photo, and see how the buttons on Astaire's right side are aligned in relation to the pinstripes. The button placement cannot possibly be in the "Y" formation.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Hate to disagree with you, but I must. Look even more closely at the photo, and see how the buttons on Astaire's right side are aligned in relation to the pinstripes. The button placement cannot possibly be in the "Y" formation.

Something odd about the shape of the lapels and their size in proportion to the jacket's length is throwing me off, too, although I think you're right Marc.

If it weren't that there isn't a buttonhole where there should be, I'd think it was a 6X2 as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran