Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two or Three Button

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked a few issues with the suit. I don't really know if it is legitamate or not but they bother me so it is going back. I am working with a learning curve so I'm not sure what is what. All in all though it was a good learning experience. My next one should be much easier. Too many details to keep track of. I am going to the tailor on Saturday so I can spend some time with him and point out all the things that I think need tweeking. It is not as easy as I thought it would be.After lists and photos and samples and drawings there are still interpretations of what looks best between the maker and the client. I will take some photos before I bring it in.

DOUGLAS

Some pictures before I brought it in today

DSCF2144.jpg

DSCF2146.jpg

DSCF2147.jpg

DSCF2115.jpg

DSCF2116.jpg

DSCF2117.jpg

DSCF2118.jpg

DOUGLAS

Matt, it is now at the tailors, The fabric is light. I wanted some thing I could wear in at least three seasons. My main deciding factor was color.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Douglas, I'll take you up on that offer to "have at it."

I think your suit jacket should have had lapels shaped like the ones below. In my opinion, they're as close to perfect as peak lapels can be on a single-breasted coat.

Note that the jacket in this photo could either be a high 2-button or a low 3-button: both stances would work here.

0724n_poirot.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A few items that jumped out...

Both vests appear to have uneven points and the button placement seems a bit off on the SB vest. It could be a camera/angle thing. Interesting placement of the spare buttons, I've never seen that before. Personally, I would prefer my name be placed discreetly in an inside pocket.

DOUGLAS

The uneven points on the db vest is because there is'nt an interior button to hold the placement. The sb vest is poorly shot and is not really sitting on the form correctly.The name tag will be removed. He got a bit over excited.

Marc, That is a beautiful suit. The shape of the lapels on mine don't bother me. I asked for the lapels to be higher. That may have been a mistake being that the jacket may have been more balanced with the lapels lower and wider. What did bother me was the sack shape of the jacket which is being taken in as I write. I think that patch pockets would have worked better and maybe I will add them and have double pockets. I think that the lapels on the db vest should have been wider. I would use horn buttons instead of bone. I asked for shorter vests, that too may have been a mistake.

I am not upset with the results. Ignorance is bliss, I have spent much more money on things that fit less well and on things I had no control over so the mistakes are mine and I can live with it. This was a learning experience and I will wear this suit and find out what works and what does not and use this as a work in progress for my next suit.

Feraud

Bartender
I think your tailor has hit most of the details you specified. Personally I would have gone for for lower and wider lapels, but that is a subjective point. The material looks good and should provide the flexibility you were looking for. That rear vent is a nice touch.
Having the jacket taken in a bit should help the balance and fit.
Let us know how the fit works for you once you've worn it.

DOUGLAS

DSCF2264.jpg

DSCF2266.jpg

DSCF2269.jpg

DSCF2273.jpg

DSCF2277.jpg

DSCF2287.jpg

DSCF2288.jpg

DSCF2279.jpg

It is going back tomorrow. I am going to have patch pockets put on. I think this will help with the over all balance. I am still not happy with the skirting, I think it can be taken in more. The vest shoulders are pulling so he will need to fix that as well.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Just a few comments:

The fronts look a little shapeless and could use more waist suppression. The back doesn't look too bad in this regard.

It looks like you have a low right shoulder and a low left hip, neither of which has been corrected for. The shoulder issue can be fixed either with padding or picking up the coat at the shoulder seam; I'm not sure if the hip issue can be fixed apart from recutting the trousers.

And if I were you, I'd have him taper the sleeves; they look a bit wide at the cuff. Tapering them down would provide a more graceful profile.

Fix those things, plus the vest and skirt issues you've already mentioned, and you'll have a decent, quite wearable suit.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
What an interesting thread! I have enjoyed following this process unfold and reading the commentary on the results as they materialize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran