Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-tone Goodwear Arcadia Idea

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

This jacket is the one that originally inspired me to get a two-tone jacket. You can match these colors precisely with John's light russet and seal brown (faded over time). I especially like the knife pleats on the back. From the back, however, it looks much more like the Arcadia. The only change I'd make is to add the seal brown color to the half cuffs too. I've seen that on other jackets and it looks pretty wicked.

The question really is which jacket do I want: a 30's Aviator or a late 40's sportsback jacket?

Last edited by a moderator:

Graemsay

Practically Family
The question really is which jacket do I want: a 30's Aviator or a late 40's sportsback jacket?

Both. :)

I can understand your dilemma though. John's thing is his replicas of A2s, and getting one of those would make a lot of sense. But some of the two tone jackets are completely awesome. I'm thinking of getting a Good Wear myself, and I'm starting to feel a bit torn about which way to go.

Alternatively get an A2 off John, and an Aero in a similar spec to what Wade's putting together. But that'd start getting expensive.

The two tone cuffs do sound good. I saw a woollen half belt that had done that.

pauleway

Practically Family
I'd go with either back #2 or back #4.

I've just found this jacket via Google. It's a bit more subtle than the one Wade posted earlier, but might give you other ideas.

DSCF3284.jpg
DSCF3297.jpg

I put an order for a 30's HB from Aero a couple of weeks ago. Always thought of a two tone jacket but never really gave it serious consideration until this thread. Now after seeing this photo you guys got me thinking of e-mailing Amanda and seeing if they would do a two-tone similar to this on my HB order. I don't know whether I should thank you, or curse you but that two-tone looks really nice!!!

D

Deleted member 16736

Does Aero have a light color horsehide? I've seen brown mixed with red russet horsehide to good effect. Maybe you can try combining their seal jerky and russet jerky. Their cordovan FQHH is a little too brown and won't contrast that well with the brown FQHH, whereas the russet jerky is quite reddish and will contrast better with the seal jerky, in my opinion. What you don't want is to mix different leathers -- ie. FQHH and jerky. That would just look strange.

D

Deleted member 16736

Both. :)

I can understand your dilemma though. John's thing is his replicas of A2s, and getting one of those would make a lot of sense. But some of the two tone jackets are completely awesome. I'm thinking of getting a Good Wear myself, and I'm starting to feel a bit torn about which way to go.

Alternatively get an A2 off John, and an Aero in a similar spec to what Wade's putting together. But that'd start getting expensive.

The two tone cuffs do sound good. I saw a woollen half belt that had done that.

I love John's craftsmanship and his leather is the best you can buy. But I'm not really an A-2 fan and I keep pushing him to make more civilian jackets. At this point, I'm feeling like I will go two-tone Arcadia or Mojave and skip the A-2 for now. What I like about the Mojave is that it has the offset zipper which is a very practical design and gives you a lot of weather protection. Also it's a little longer. I feel like the Arcadia is a bit too short for my tastes, though John said he would tweak the pattern to lengthen it slightly for me.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Joel, I think that you've answered your own question there. You seem more excited by the two tone Arcadia or Mojave than an A2, so that's what I'd suggest you go for.

I don't know if Aero have any lighter coloured horse. I'd guess mixing black and brown, or brown and cherry would work.

Oh, here's another jacket.

ssc38a12_JPG.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

Gave it a lot of thought and I'm going with my gut anyway: two-tone Mojave in light russet and seal brown horsehide. The back, front, and sleeves will be russet. The collar, pocket welts, and half-belt will be seal brown, just like the vintage jacket posted above. I'll have John take pictures before it goes out the door (since I have no camera) and post them here when it's done in about 6-8 weeks. Thanks, everybody, for all of your help.

Now, for the lining, I'm thinking of a wool plaid body with brown rayon sleeves. What do you guys think about that? Should I go all rayon? The hardware will be brass Talon. I'm also thinking of having John leave off the zipper on the cigarette pocket (there's already one on the map pocket). Two pull rings is one too many for me.

front_view2.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

John won't tinker with his pattern. The layout is fine for me. Yeah, a D-pocket would be nice, but I'm not going to ask. I did place my order. Now I'll just have to pick out the lining and hardware. I'm leaning to wool plaid in the body and brown rayon in the sleeves. The hardware will be brass Talon (reproduction).

I want to take the zipper off the cigarette pocket because it'll be cumbersome to open and close and the extra pull ring makes the jacket a little too "jingly" for my tastes.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
John won't tinker with his pattern. The layout is fine for me. Yeah, a D-pocket would be nice, but I'm not going to ask. I did place my order. Now I'll just have to pick out the lining and hardware. I'm leaning to wool plaid in the body and brown rayon in the sleeves. The hardware will be brass Talon (reproduction).

I want to take the zipper off the cigarette pocket because it'll be cumbersome to open and close and the extra pull ring makes the jacket a little too "jingly" for my tastes.

Yes, too much movement and elaboration on the front and you're heading towards 'Michael Jackson' territory. Sounds a really nice jacket, though. Look forward to seeing the pics when its completed.

D

Deleted member 16736

I received leather samples from John and this is what I'm thinking:

1. Dark seal and light russet are the best combination, especially for this pattern. John's dark seal is very close in color to the goatskin he used to make this Mojave.

2. Light russet on the collar is too much (highest color on the jacket should be dark or it looks too flamboyant). Light russet on the pocket welts is all the jacket needs in the front to give it a little flair without overwhelming it.

3. The back will alternate dark seal and light russet: dark seal (back of collar) - russet (yoke) - dark seal (vertical panels) - russet (halfbelt) - dark seal (bottom panel).

4. An Arcadia in light russet with seal brown collar, pocket welts, halfcuffs, and halfbelt would look fierce. Maybe I'll order that next if this one turns out well.

The question remains: what lining? Right now I'm going with wool body and rayon sleeves, but I may decide to line the whole jacket in rayon. Any opinions?

Thank you all. I'll post the pictures when the jacket is finished.

D

Deleted member 16736

Joel, any progress on this? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Well, I settled on the Ventura. I could go light russet with seal highlights on the pocket welts, collar, half-cuffs, shoulder yoke, and halfbelt. I'm tempted.

D

Deleted member 16736

Well, there's still hope: I haven't given my final order yet.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Soon. I'm pretty close, but I haven't given my final order. I am torn now between a Perry A-2 in seal brown horse with Conmar brass zipper or a Mojave or Arcadia in horse. I've pretty much written off the Ventura and any other A-2.

I know, quoted from another thread. Get something in two tone, it'll be far cooler than an A2.

D

Deleted member 16736

I've just had an inspiration. Maybe it was an idea I had in the past that I forgot about, but let me throw it out there and see what you all think: A two-tone goatskin Arcadia in dark seal brown with light russet brown pocket welts, half-cuffs, and half-belt. It'll be mainly dark seal with just a few highlights. The two zip pockets will create a neat effect in two-tone. Curious to get your reactions.

Here is an Arcadia front-view:

front_view2.jpg

Leather samples can be found on this page:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/leather.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR