Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two-tone Goodwear Arcadia Idea

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

My only suggestion might be to also add the cord trim going down the front in a lighter russett as well.

HD

Is the cord trim put on the surface of the leather? I thought it was put under the leather to raise it up. I don't know. But yes, that is a good suggestion. It may be too much, but it might be great too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graemsay

Practically Family
I think that the Arcadia could work. Two tone jackets seem to be something tricky to get right.

I'm currently considering a two tone Cafe Racer, along the lines of the Mr Freedom one I posted above but without the stars, when my order gets to the head of the queue.

D

Deleted member 16736

John has a seal and light russet horsehide that could work well too. The big thing is not overdoing it. Making the collar a second color was too much.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I agree about not overdoing stuff, but I suspect that given a bit of wear the colours will dull down. Aero have done a couple of two tone jackets recently, and they look a bit too much, but the vintage ones posted are generally a bit more subtle.

The trouble with leather jackets is that they always look significantly better after a few years abuse.

I'd try to mix leathers that were similar types. So these combinations:
  • Russet: LHJ101 / Seal: LHJ103 or LHJ105 (Vegetable / Aniline horse)
  • Russet: LHJ102 / Seal: LHJ104 (Vegetable / Semi-aniline horse)
  • Russet: LGI102 / Seal: LGI101 (Vegetable / Aniline goat)
  • Red Russet: LGI103 / Dark Russet: LGI104 (Chrome / Aniline goat)
For the Cafe Racer, I'd end up with something looking a bit like this, albeit a few shades lighter, and all in leather.

kensington oilskin 1.jpg

Incidentally, I do like the Himel Bros. Kensignton cafe racer jackets and shirts...

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'm wondering how different the standard (LHJ103) and dark (LHJ105) seal brown leathers are in hue.

horsehide_seal.jpg

horsehide_darkseal.jpg

In combination they could give a much more subtle two-tone effect.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Aero have done a couple of two tone jackets recently, and they look a bit too much, but the vintage ones posted are generally a bit more subtle.

I've seen very few vintage two-tone, all leather jackets. However, vintage two tone jackets created with two different materials (often horsehide paired with melton wool or corduroy) had very striking color contrasts.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by Graemsay

"Aero have done a couple of two tone jackets recently, and they look a bit too much, but the vintage ones posted are generally a bit more subtle."

I've seen the two-tone "in the flesh", and as a 20s Half-Belt with contrasting internal back-vents, I thought it had a nice period feel. It looked less, uh, complex, than the photos.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm wondering how different the standard (LHJ103) and dark (LHJ105) seal brown leathers are in hue.

horsehide_seal.jpg

horsehide_darkseal.jpg

In combination they could give a much more subtle two-tone effect.

I looked at this combination and ultimately decided it didn't show enough contrast, but it's hard to say without seeing the whole jacket. Since that's not an option, I went with my gut. So far, to my subjective eye, the nicest combination is his dark seal and light russet goatskin, because I like both colors individually. I'm less enthusiastic about his HH dark seal and light russet, individually or in tandem. If you don't love the colors individually, you probably won't love them together either.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I looked at this combination and ultimately decided it didn't show enough contrast, but it's hard to say without seeing the whole jacket. Since that's not an option, I went with my gut. So far, to my subjective eye, the nicest combination is his dark seal and light russet goatskin, because I like both colors individually. I'm less enthusiastic about his HH dark seal and light russet, individually or in tandem. If you don't love the colors individually, you probably won't love them together either.

Absolutely right, though I've quite fancied the idea of vintage cordovan and vintage black together.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Joel, the light russet / dark seal goat combo should work well. The russet is quite red, which is better than the more brown tones of some of the horsehides, the grain looks similar, and there's enough difference between the shades to get a nice contrast, whilst the hue is complimentary.

goatskin_lightrusset.jpg

goatskin_darkseal.jpg

I look forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

I'd be tempted by the light russet and standard seal horse. I'm keen on seeing what the Shinki tanned hides come out like.

horsehide_lightrusset.jpg

horsehide_seal.jpg

For completists, here's the semi-aniline russet and seal.

horsehide_dullrusset.jpg

horsehide_sealsemi.jpg

And the light russet / dark seal.

horsehide_lightrusset.jpg

horsehide_darkseal.jpg

Graemsay

Practically Family
Absolutely right, though I've quite fancied the idea of vintage cordovan and vintage black together.

I'd also consider Cherry, if Aero still offer it. It comes out more of a burgundy shade, and would give more of a contrast than the Cordovan.

D

Deleted member 16736

Graemsay, thanks for doing that. Yeah, the goat combo looks nice.

That Monarch jacket is fascinating. It's basically seal from the back with russet highlights and russet from the front with seal highlights. The arms are seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graemsay

Practically Family
Glad to help.

That Monarch is a pretty cool jacket. I like the fly-fronted button fastening, and the way they've blocked the colours is a lot better than some of the other examples.

majormajor

One Too Many
That Monarch is a great looking jacket - not overdone.

But for me (just a personal thing), two-tone is just "unleatherjacketish".

Had quite a few pairs of Trickers' brogues - but I could never like the two-tone ones.

Each to his own, I guess:eeek:;)

D

Deleted member 16736

Ok, so here's my latest brain-storm: a horsehide Ventura in seal brown with light russet on the pocket welts, half-cuffs, and the back piece between the gussets (the piece below the western yoke and above the half-belt). What do you guys think? Are the half-cuffs too much or just right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR