Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U-571 Jacket?

SpykiE

New in Town
I happened to sit down and watch U-571 today and I've only seen it once before, but I was just curious, what is that sheepskin jacket that Lt. Tyler is wearing throughout the movie? It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen, and I know he got it off of the German U-Boat captain after they boarded the U-571. It kind of had a little bit of a look from the RAF Irvin style jacket...but was a little longer.

Brad

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Me again-
I don't remember the jacket specifically- it's been a long time since I saw the film- but U Boat guys wore a lot of civilian as well as issue clothing- due, I guess, to the "invisible" nature of their operations but also to the spectrum of temperature conditions. A lot of images of U Boat guys show them with big beards and wearing civilian checked flannel shirts, sweaters and other eclectic collections of attire. The jacket in question could be anything. They did have a lot of leather gear though, black grey and brown coats in the "barnstormer" style, double breasted with or without a fur collar- issue or civillian style and leather trousers too. The Kriegsmarine leather uniforms also became popular with SS Panzer crews too. Some of the submariners also wore captured British green "denim" work uniforms with the addition of rank insignia and Kriegsmarine buttons.
-BT.

SpykiE

New in Town
Very interesting facts Bellytank, thanks for all the info! If you do get to see U-571 again though, check the jacket out, it is very interesting and very much resembles that of the Irvin jacket, except where there are seams, shearling is sticking outside of the seams a little bit. Very nice looking though.

Brad

SpykiE

New in Town
Actually Mycroft, I don't know why I didn't think of Wested....but yes, that is the jacket on their website (or at least in the U-571 picture that they have on there). I suppose I would have to contact them directly to find out some information about it. I'm a little weary however, I've heard mixed opinions about Wested Leather's quality in their products....but never hurts to check it out, thanks Mycroft!

Brad

Film_Noir_Buff

New in Town
U-571 jacket fan here.

Interesting. I loved that jacket too. I had a replica made by sickafus sheepskins in PA with a different fur color (Snowcap vs. that golden fleece on the jacket in the movie.) The jacket is excellent quality but the skin is not as rotten as I wouldve liked. They also didnt expose all the seams in the right place under the collar but that was a function of doing it over the phone and my not catching that the underr collar seams were exposed.

If I had known that the people that made the actual jacket had a website, I wouldnt have bought this other jacket 3 years ago.

Incidentally, I also loved that black leather trench coat made for Ian McKellen in Richard III, wonder if these people made that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy