Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unknown Family Photos

JustJen

Familiar Face
L-H,
Thanks for posting the lost and found photo site. I too like you, have very little information on either side of my family. All four grandparents were gone before I was 18. This site is nice to remember and respect, even if we don't know who they are.

Thanks again.

Jen

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I was too looking at old photos recently of people I did not know in an antique store. It sadened me as well to think that these people were somehow forgotten. But I am fascinated of just regular photos someone took. These kinds of photographs make that period in time feel tangible and not just some far off peice of the past. If I look at them hard enough I can picture myself there with them. All of these people lived their lives, and achived something. Their life was the most relavent to them and they probably strived and accoplished things. To think this is how we'll all end up. Figures in time that will inevitably fade into oblivion.

What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence...the question is, what can you make people beleive that you have done?
-Sherlock Holmes

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I went back to that antique store and bought a photo. I'd date it somewhere around the mid to late 1890's.

VintagePhoto1890s.jpg

I found it to be terribly interesting. There were a few other that were just as interesting, if not more but $2 for a photo ws all I was willing to spend have not much more than $8 on me.

mikepara

Practically Family
fantastic..

This is my favourite. She's just gorgeous and look at the little Dude behind her..I want that hat!
541.jpg

I've got 100's of photos of long dead unknown people. I love people watching. I can't walk past a Flea market or fair without looking at the pics and buying most!

Does make me wonder what'll happen to all my Pics and stuff in 50 years.:(

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
That's a splendid photograph. I was really drawn by her skirt.

Here's another one I found at that site, I just love that little girl's hat. They sell a similar one at Flora and Henri, as well as a great variety of classic clothing for children:

564.jpg

L_H

Tourbillion

Practically Family
ArrowCollarMan said:
I went back to that antique store and bought a photo. I'd date it somewhere around the mid to late 1890's.

VintagePhoto1890s.jpg

I found it to be terribly interesting. There were a few other that were just as interesting, if not more but $2 for a photo ws all I was willing to spend have not much more than $8 on me.

I collect photos like that one too, but I think that one is more late 1890's early 1900's. The ladies sleeves are all pretty small, and they all wear pompadours, could be 1898, but more likely 1901.

You guys aren't going to make me scan my photos? are you?

I have photos of all kinds of my own family members, plus someone online sent me a scan of a relative born in the 1820's. Being a genealogy buff, I want photos of everyone, and paintings or statues of folks from the pre-photo era! Next trip to the UK, I'm going by an old house (open to visitors) that my mom's family lived in a few hundred years ago. Whoopee!

Fedorista

Familiar Face
Tourbillion said:
I collect photos like that one too, but I think that one is more late 1890's early 1900's. The ladies sleeves are all pretty small, and they all wear pompadours, could be 1898, but more likely 1901.

Below the louver on the right stands a youthful Jimmy Stewart which obviously dates the photo to the Golden Era. Mid to late 1930s!

(No, I'm not descended from Zoltan Karpathy.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy