Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Cruise? Some kind of macho "alpha male"? Please, even 5'4" me could take that little (same height, but I'm probably 25%-1/3 or more again the total biomass) twerp... and I'll even have one hand and half my brain tied behind my back just to make it "fairer".*snort*

Remember that accident in Top Gun? In the real event, the pilot (read: "Maverick") was the one who Bit The Big One.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
calendargirl said:
Yes! I completely agree, Saving Private Ryan was the same cliche war movie, just with more money thrown at it.

When I tell people that, they look at me like I just spit on the flag. [huh]

Where war pictures are concerned I still greatly prefer "The Big Parade" to "Ryan". "Parade" (and, sometimes "All Quiet on the Western Front" can yet move me to tears.

LizzieMaine said:
The single most non-essential innovation in motion pictures was color.

Probably, though I still sometimes wonder about sound...

Tiller said:
Have you seen the Rat Pack's Ocean's Eleven?

My favorite entry in the "Oceans Eleven" series is "Welcome to Collinwod".

Wally_Hood said:
On the other hand, Singin' in the Rain would not be the same without color (statement not offered to engender controversy).

I certainly agree! Buster Keaton, Joan Crawford, Conrad Nagel, Marie Dressler, and Ukelele Ike wouldn't be nearly as scintillating in grey rain slickers.

Don't like Joan Crawford?

Try this on your piano:

[YOUTUBE]W3tAsM_tMRQ[/YOUTUBE]

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Dexter'sDame said:
I agree with Chasseur: I, too, liked DiCaprio in The Aviator Hughes was such a weird genius, casting the very weird Boy Wonder DiCaprio just seemed right.

I used to dislike DiCaprio as an actor for some time (I LOATHED the movie 'Titanic', for example.

But then I saw The Aviator, a movie I enjoy very much.
Another movie that I like with DiCaprio was 'Catch me if you can'.

Back on topic - more dislikes:

Demi Moore - *shudder*

Drew Barymore - sorry, not the slightest charisma there to catch my attention ...

Natalie Portman .... [huh]

Kevin Kostner .... although I found 'Waterworld' entertaining enough, I just do not like his personas on screen.

Richard Geere - every girl and woman used to fancy him ... why oh why? Pretentiously nice ... run away!

Russell Crow - Again, really enjoyed 'Master and Commander' and even 'Gladiator' but just do not get on with his screen personas, there is something underlying which I find distracting.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
The list is endless

I'm always the one who takes a pass on this year's "Must see" film; mainly because if I do so see them, I always think they're crap.

Avatar = Dances with Wolves + Pocahontis + Lt. Dan gets magic legs

Forrest Gump = Nifty technology does not save this from being a maudlin and manipulative film

Gladiator = A film about the redeptive power of violence...Huh?...Really?

Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino films = Retread of cool movies you should be watching instead of this lame POS with the most horrificlly bad dialogue ever written

Oliver Stone films = "Here, let me hit you over the head repeatedly with my limited, one-sided point of view"

Dexter'sDame said:
:eek:fftopic: jamespowers, let's just say that for me, Mr. Grant has a few additional qualities Floyd doesn't possess. ;) But, given my screenname, I'm obviously biased. (Dexter = C.K. Dexter Haven)

But seriously, one of the things I like about Cary Grant is that he was a good sport about looking foolish in his films, as long as it was funny.

Interesting analogy, though.

lol lol lol I am a guy so the difference in looks is irrelevant to me. lol lol
Looking foolish in films is pretty right on. I think only Don Knotts was better at that---in anything he did. lol lol lol

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Cruise? Some kind of macho "alpha male"? Please, even 5'4" me could take that little twerp...

In Top Gun they had Cruise wearing REALLY tall cowboy boots whenever he stood next to Kelly McGillis because she was taller than him. I find that very funny...

Speaking of psuedo "alpha male" sex symbols, Shia LaBeouf is the weirdest little dude that I see the media trying to make an icon. Maybe when he's older, more rugged, and loses the goofball vibe. I didn't see Eagle Eye but everything else he's a goofy kid in.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I can't understand why Elizabeth Taylor is considered a great actress. She reminds me of a female version of William Shatner. If it wasn't for her torrid personal life I don't think she would have ever garnered the recognition she has.

I am sick to death of the whole "monsters are just tragically misunderstood and need love too" trend in books and film.

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
Atomic said:
Speaking of psuedo "alpha male" sex symbols, Shia LaBeouf is the weirdest little dude that I see the media trying to make an icon. Maybe when he's older, more rugged, and loses the goofball vibe. I didn't see Eagle Eye but everything else he's a goofy kid in.

I have the same feelings toward him. I haven't liked him in any of his roles because he's so damned hard to swallow. But then again, even Bogart looked like a dapper little twerp when he was young.

KenDale

New in Town
No matter how hard I try, and I have been trying for over 30 years, I just cannot watch Gone With the Wind all the way through. It just bores me to death. It is even harder to admit this since I live in Atlanta.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
vitanola said:
Where war pictures are concerned I still greatly prefer "The Big Parade" to "Ryan". "Parade" (and, sometimes "All Quiet on the Western Front" can yet move me to tears.

Totally agree with that and what calendargirl said. When I saw Ryan in a cinema I even had to fight to keep my eyes open. It was like a kind of field trip into france during a war time. Endless walking and before it gets too boring, we need some "abrakadabra" machine gun in the middle of nowhere to show more blood and gore and aren't wondering why no one plans to walk around it or even why it should be there in an ordinary field without any support of their Wehrmacht-fellows. Personally I think they did a better job with parts of the series The Pacific rather than with James Ryan in showing a war and in all its ugliness and realism. James Ryan was just a bad story and lame acting which did not make me feel with the characters.
There are much better movies than that one as an anti-war movie.

One other movie I just can't finish and where I am wondering why it got so much credit is Alphaville. Even if it was low budget they could at least have used some better furnishing to show a future world and well the story is too obscure.

HepKitty

One Too Many
DesertDan said:
I am sick to death of the whole "monsters are just tragically misunderstood and need love too" trend in books and film.

The "monsters" take it as written permission to not have to try to do better. The non-monsters don't have this as an excuse, why should monsters be let off the hook? Most people have enough of a sense of right and wrong, so enough with the preferential treatment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany