Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Both Lennon and Wright are "artists" that have a huge following but lived lives where they treated the people around them very poorly. That's the connection.

In this world you are what you do. How you treat others has more of a bearing on who you are than even great accomplishments. If one loves Beethoven, were good to one's family and played with the family dog but that is after a hard day running the death camps, one doesn't get a pass. If one were a Mafia hood and killed or had killed a number of people in one's career, writing a check to build a new hospital wing doesn't offset the murders.

Unfortunately there are a number of people that had not just one indiscretion but a series or lifetime of them that remain heroic in the eyes of others because of some achievement say something like their voting record in the Senate or Congress. There are some deeds or attitudes that cannot be worked off by good deeds. How a person treats others is a truer indication of their concerns and their real nature.

It's like the idea that the gangsters that ran a city during the Depression opened Soup Kitchens for the poor. The thing is they feed people that might not have eaten otherwise but it does not lessen their criminality.

I dont equate a guy who designs buildings, and is relatively private overall, with a guy who writes songs and stands up in front of crowds proclaiming love, love, love, and imagine, etc, and then is a poopoohead on a private, and/or a lesser public scale. Lennon and Wright's function in society was not the same. Neither Wright nor gangsters exist, as their primary function, to be out in public themselves, as an entertainer such as Lennon was, proclaiming we should love each other and then treat people with disdain when he stepped off the stage, just as a figurative example. Wright was just another guy - yes a ground-breakingly talented one, but not an on-stage celebrity whose main message was the opposite the way he may have had a tendency to treat people.

Yes to a degree then private people acting poorly may not be as big a hypocrisy as a public person but it is still bad form.

Wright had and has a following. I would say that he is probably know to 8 out of 10 people on the Lounge and in the regular public 50% of people over 30 in the US probably know of him or have seen pictures of his work. When he was creating the buildings and designs he was a public person. While he may not have taken a public stance on spousal abuse I still would not have anyone enamored with him emulate his lifestyle. Just as i would not want a lot of kids to see many public figures today in sports or music and have them emulate their lifestyles or values.

Lennon's case is more egregious because of the hypocritical nature of this supposed all you need is love, human rights anti war stance. We are sold a supposed love of humanity then find out it's really people he hates. While there is a matter of degree I'd state that there are people that give a pass to their heros. No one here would give a pass to a guy that makes great cupcakes but beats his wife and kids. But there are some that might have no difficulty excusing avoiding and glossing over that behavior if the guy invented an all purpose cancer vaccine.

It's similar to the story of the man that solicits sex from a woman and she says yes when he offers a million dollars . When he changes the amount to a hundred she says i am not a whore. His retort is yes we have established what you are, we are now only haggling over price.

Back to movies: Gone With The Wind is a good picture for me but it is not a great picture to me.

Blame it on their manager, Brian Epstein!lol Actually, blame it on Maharishi Mahesh Yogi for helping to mess them up!:mad: I think he was last sighted in the Bay Area...

I blame it on the dope that drove them to that idiot Yogi in the first place. You have to be on dope to prance around in those colors and espouse love and tolerance while being a complete jackass to your own kids and people in general---just ask Julian. :rolleyes::eusa_doh: Then again, you have to be on dope to sing those songs or listen to them as well. *yucky*shakeshead
I could believe the Yogi is over in San Franfreako. There are enough burnouts and hippies to keep him in togas and patchouli oil. :rolleyes::eek:

The song "Imagine" grates on me every time I have to hear it. Imagine there is no heaven? So I should be content with this fallen world? Regading duality of nature, we see that with a few 20th century humanitarian "icons," whose shady pasts/theories/etc. often get swept under the carpet, and you dare not speak of them in anything but glowing terms...But back to the movies.

Imagine there were no Beatles
Its easy if you try.....:p;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925