Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Leathers website overhaul

I find it very funny for a company like Vanson. I would imagine their two biggest markets are professional racers/hardcore riders. And then not to be rude but the stereotypical beer belly Harley rider ha. And then a smaller portion would be jacket junkies like us who love them. But in none of these markets would I imagine the glamour shot, the Black and white, the stud on a bike with an 80s hair metal music video model, appealing to them. I like the new pictures with more average joes in the jackets. Schott has all the hipster models these days. But again I don’t think any market since like 1994 has wanted to see those photos.

In my experience, Vanson jackets are much more common in the BMW motorcycle crowd, or other such bikes. Not the cross-zips but all their other styles. Few Harley guys I know, from my time not only in Florida but also Denver, DC, Norfolk, and Saint Louis, wear Vanson. Most buy the new Harley stuff or cheap mass-produced jackets/vests. Part of their charm I guess.

dannyk

One Too Many
In my experience, Vanson jackets are much more common in the BMW motorcycle crowd, or other such bikes. Not the cross-zips but all their other styles. Few Harley guys I know, from my time not only in Florida but also Denver, DC, Norfolk, and Saint Louis, wear Vanson. Most buy the new Harley stuff or cheap mass-produced jackets/vests. Part of their charm I guess.
Living on this forum I often forget that Harley makes jackets. Or that other mass produced Moto jackets exist.

Yeah, to most people it just doesn't register. A jacket is a jacket is a jacket. Heck, some of my friends think Vanson sucks because the leather is not as soft as their Harley jacket lol. I hear all the time, "that must be cheap leather". I don't even argue anymore. If they like their water buffalo vest, they like it. Whatever floats their boat.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Living on this forum I often forget that Harley makes jackets. Or that other mass produced Moto jackets exist.
I don't know that H-D makes jackets, pretty sure they just slap their name on stuff made for them. Mostly run of the mill stuff, serviceable and all, but not on the same level as the high end makers we usually talk about here.

I don't know that H-D makes jackets, pretty sure they just slap their name on stuff made for them. Mostly run of the mill stuff, serviceable and all, but not on the same level as the high end makers we usually talk about here.

Yes, that is what I meant. I have owned a few of their jackets and really liked some of them.

dannyk

One Too Many
Yes I was aware of that as well. Throughout their long history they have had some decent makers and some very cool designs. But as of late the last 30 years or so I haven’t seen any good contracts or innovative designs really. Just run of the mill as you guys have said serviceable jackets. But again being on this forum and seeing Vansons and Thedis, Aeros and Lost Worlds everyday. Well I forget to remember that malls exist and HD stores exist. There’s actually an HD dealer not to far from where I live. It was probably about 2 years ago now, right after I bought my Vanson comp. weight Chopper. I walked in there and looked at their myriad of jackets. I don’t like being pretentious or feeling superior to people. It’s not a good trait. But I couldn’t help walking around in my jacket and looking at what they had to offer feeling like I knew something they didn’t. Like I was in on some joke that they didn’t know. Nothing in there even came close and I got a lot of looks from the staff. Don’t know if it was confusion or envy haha.

Yes, the jacket quality is not close. The employees that I know at the local HD dealer do notice and compliment my jackets, but they are younger south Florida guys who more typically notice stuff like that. The more typical Harley clientele usually do not notice and if they do, would much rather put the money loungers spend on jackets on their bikes. Honestly, I only fall out of this category because my bike is set up like I want it. When I had my Road Glide, I spent crazy loot chasing the perfect sound system. That puppy was obscene, a rolling concert hall. Now I ride with a full-face helmet and bluetooth and guess what, the music sounds better...and I can pursue other interests.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Every HD rider I've ever talked to has had NO idea who Vanson or Aero are. Some knew about Schott but not many. I went to the Vanson site via email last night and all I could find were Vemeo video's. I couldn't access the product line at all. I don't write code for a living but I'm not a Luddite either.... I left after a few fruitless minutes.

Worf

That's spot on for HD riders. I have been accessing the site all day but at times it can be very slow. Hopefully it will improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner