Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viktor Schreckengost Dies at 101

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There seems to be a lot of broken links on his web site. But it's a real eye opener. Since I've been planning this move into a 1939 apartment bldg, I've been drenching myself in Art Deco and Art Moderne design stuff. He obviously influenced EVERYBODY after him. Charming stuff.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Somebody invented the "little red wagon." And the banana seat. And the cab-over. Somebody had to.
This was the guy - a down home talent, modest to a fault.
Si quaeris monumentum, circumspice.
Rest well, Mr. S.

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
He was quite the well-known designer back in the 193Os, and I hunted for years (and in the pre-ebay world) for a cool little globe-shaped teapot he designed, but when the streamlined asesthetic fell out of favor, so did a lot of its designers, many of whom continued working for years afterward, but without their former acclaim. I'm just glad this guy lived long enough to see the renewed interest in his work. One of his Jazz bowls of the 192Os went for megabucks a few years ago, and it seems like somebody re-issued it in a limited edition.

[BTW, DHermann1, the coolest place I ever lived was my very first post college apartment, built in 1939/40: my apartment had curved walls, glass block or metal-framed casement windows, wide-slat enameled-metal Venetian blinds 12 feet wide, terrazzo floors in the kitchen & bath and the giddiest turquoise-yellow-& black bath I had ever seen, all perfectly intact under 30 years worth of grime. Once I cleaned the place up & painted every flat surface the same gray as the window's blinds, it was a beautiful. Be sure to post pics when you get it done. M.]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My place was just renovated about 3 years ago. They did it very nicely, but totally contemporary country kitchenish. Very nice, but slightly bland. I'll do what I can with a limited budget. Pix eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran