Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Appliances

Lancealot

Practically Family
If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I'm needing some help I have a late 1950s early 1960s range that is much wider than todays models. The finish has worn off over the years and I want to repaint it. I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried this and if so what did you use and how did it go.

What would be period correct colors for 1950? That is when the house I'm in was built and I going about trying to make the kitchen somewhat authentic.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Late fifties, early sixties? Can't go wrong with white, of course, but I think by that time metal colors like copper and aluminum had come in, along with oranges and avacado green (kind of like a foretaste of the '70s).

For a repaint, I would treat it just like an automobile. Remove everything except the metal, have it professionally stripped, then have it primed and painted or powdercoated.

-Dave

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, being an appliance, it's probably porcelain on steel, especially on a range since it's subjected to heat. It definitely wouldn't be a paint - that would burn off or discolor from the heat.

Lancealot

Practically Family
I meant to include this in the first post, I can't get this range out of the kitchen. I know that sounds crazy but the house used to have a back porch but it was closed in to make a laundry romm and now there is no way to get the range out without removing the washer, dryer, and refrigerator. I know this sounds crazy. (Got to love forethought.)

Anybody got any ideas?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Hate to be the one to say this but I shall.

Stoves and any sort of -home done- finish improvements = 'not a good idea'

Because of the heat, they need to be re-enameled and thats a professional job. With the issue of it not coming out of the kitchen, you are sort of stuck.

Anything you could -try- at home would be short lived, possibly off gas toxic fumes when the oven heats, and eventually discolor.

I suggest looking up Antique Stove repair and service in your area, using Google. Even if a place is a bit further off, they could perhaps advise if there is some way to do something, and/or they might even help with the moving out and in of 3 appliances to get to the stove to take it away for restoration.

me personally, I would just use the stove as is and call it charming and homey......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy