Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage belted back shop coat?

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't know if it is rare, but it is certainly overbuilt. Looks more like an overcoat.

My shop coat looks like a shop coat. Of course it doesn't have the style this one has, but then no one sees me wearing it except my wife and maybe an old buddy when we are getting dirty.

I would say it is rare, and getting more so every year. It is too nice to get dirty.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
That's pretty cool. Though it looks a little fancy and dangerous for a shop coat. I'm guessing it's a military overcoat for someone who wasn't very important yet. I dunno...some type of cadet, NATO person, marching band etc.? There is no tag in it?

EDIT: medical corps, maintenance control?

Last edited:

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Greatcoats of the US Marine Corps have similar looking cuffs; not french cuffs, as these are stitched down, but fancy looking. Other US military forces do not have cuffs like that, typically being plain, or braided in some officers.

This isn't a greatcoat (WW2 was thick wool, later vietnam are serge; this is neither), but I imagine it could be some sort of USMC work-gear, or maybe something made for warmer weather?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking maybe foreign military. Dutch? French?? Certainly not an overcoat because the fabric looks to be cotton like denim maybe. And that patch pocket on the front is for pencils, maybe a pack of smokes, or odds and ends. Not something that would be seen on an outerwear type coat. The seller has 2 of these, and what looks like matching overalls.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot