Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Betty's Book of the Week

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I contributed to the Show Us Your Oldest Books thread, and than realized that I had quite a library accumulated from years of collecting.

The back story is that I worked under the table for beer and books at a used book shop when I was 15, so I accumulated quite a collection. I'm a long-time book collector, known for skipping meals in order to purchase a special book.

I had an idea that people here at the Lounge might appreciate the variety of reference material I have available, and use it to for their research, book collecting or beauty tips. My thought was to post snippets of each book that has a published copyright date of 1950 or earlier.

In discussing the following idea with MrBern, Feraud and Senator Jack and a professional in copyright law at the Library of Congress, they liked the idea and encouraged me to post this thread.

My intention is to try and post a different book each week. Here are the rules I have set for myself:

• There is no order in which the books are listed.
  • Books are in this thread for the purpose of keeping this material in a single place I can easily refer and post to without searching through other threads with pages of information.
  • All books are copyright 1950 or earlier.
  • Any book that is requested to be removed by a publisher or author will be agreed to.
  • All standard books will have 5 or less published pages, at my discretion.
  • All large books will have 10 or less standard pages, at my discretion.
  • No additional pages will be posted in order to respect copyright laws.
If you have a special request, please post it in this thread, and I will try to accomodate you at some point if I have the material available.

I hope you enjoy sharing my library, and you find this information interesting and useful.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1930 Diary of Hamilton White

I picked up this diary of Hamilton White from his family at a garage sale over the summer of 2007. I also picked up his mother's diary. I brought this to the attention of the family who shrugged and said no one wanted it, and they were happy to see it go to someone who was interested in it.

I hope to have time to add additional information and passages about this diary. My intention is to research this item and than donate it to our local historical society in 2008.

My assumption is that this young man received this diary as a gift in 1929. He was quite a good writer, and sadly only wrote in it until February 19, 1930.

If you know the Bay Area, he mentions quite a few times how a trip between cities took a day or more, and they had to camp out or stay with someone in order to come back the next day.

1930_diary1a.JPG

1930_diary1b.JPG

1930_diary1c.JPG

Wednesday, January 1, 1930
Had to get up early this morning. 9 o'clock.
Gypsies camped below us for lunch until Mr. Whitehill drove them away.
Filled the woodbag took three big boxes to fill it.
Pittsburgh had a big defeat from U.S.C. score 47 to 14 in favor of U.S.C.
Took the Christmas tree down today.
Randy isn't home so far.
Did three big pages of arithmetic this afternoon. Read a good story this afternoon in the American Boy.
Rather dull today nothing doing.

1930_diary1d.JPG

Tuesday, February 4, 1930

Randy went in with us tonight. Laurie & Oliver got there's from the Senors last night. They got there faces painted over with mercuriocrome pictures painted on there backs. There arms and legs were all painted red too. I'm keeping away from town as much as possible at night so they won't catch me. Our home room is in the old building. Paid up most of my money for High School due today lots of studying to do tonite.

1930_diary1e.JPG

Vintage Betty

No. 55 M.W. Savage Company Fall & Winter 1929-1930 Catalogue

I already posted this to some other thread in the FL, but can't find it, so here are the same pictures again. I'll also try to post a brand new book before the week is out to keep up this thread.

savage1.JPG

savage2.JPG

savage3.JPG

savage4.JPG

savage5.JPG

Vintage Betty

Spring, by by James Thomson, 1728

(Re-posted from the Display Case thread: Show Us Your Oldest Books)

My oldest book is as old as 1728 or as late as 1800-ish. It is a book by James Thomson (1700-1748), a poet. There is no copyright information, so I would have to depend on an expert in bindings and typefaces. However, in looking at the typeface used in this book, it wouldn't surprise me to find this as an early 18th century edition. I bought it for .10 at a garage sale.

Due to the extensive wear, it has little to no value.

spring1.JPG

spring2.JPG

spring3.JPG

Vintage Betty

1938 & 1940's Children's Books

These were sent out as part of a contest a few days after I joined the Fedora Lounge.

I gave away 2 children's bedtime books, circa 1938 (trees cover) and 1940 (father-daughter cover) by the Metropolitan Church Association.

Both books contain bedtime stories, morals and prayers. Very cute.

bedtime1a.JPG
bedtime1b.JPG
bedtime1c.JPG

happy1a.JPG
happy1c.JPG
happy1e.JPG

Vintage Betty

1920's Hairdressing Book

I will fill in more info about this book and post more pictures and better quality pictures and instructions as soon as possible.

It's 530 pages and has 400 photos or illustrations. The book weighs near 7 pounds. Unfortunately, all the pictures I have are tiny, so I will have to re-photograph a few good pages or repost.

I would consider selling this book.

hair32.jpg

hair33.jpg

hair36.jpg

Vintage Betty

The Principles of Clothing Selection by Helen Buttrick, 1926

I will need to grab this book in order to get more info to post.

Someone in a hat thread asked which hat would look best based on head shape. I posted this book in response to the question.

principles_of_clothing1.JPG

principles_of_clothing2.JPG

principles_of_clothing3.JPG

principles_of_clothing4.JPG

principles_of_clothing5.JPG

principles_of_clothing6.JPG

Marty M.

Vendor
Great coats.

Vintage Betty said:
savage2.JPG

savage3.JPG

I've never even heard of M. W. Savage Co. up here in Mpls. Too bad they're not around anymore. I wouldn't had to hang my own shingle out there. Then I could actually have some coins in my pocket :eusa_doh: . Thanks for those great overcoat pictures VB.
Marty Mathis

Vintage Betty

Marty M. said:
I've never even heard of M. W. Savage Co. up here in Mpls. Too bad they're not around anymore. I wouldn't had to hang my own shingle out there. Then I could actually have some coins in my pocket :eusa_doh: . Thanks for those great overcoat pictures VB.
Marty Mathis

You're welcome Mr. M! I will be posting other men's clothing images in the future, as well as men's stores displays, general fashion, women's beauty, clothing patterns and hair style patterns. Any specific requests?

Vintage Betty

Marty M.

Vendor
Well, since you asked......

Vintage Betty said:
You're welcome Mr. M! I will be posting other men's clothing images in the future, as well as men's stores displays, general fashion, women's beauty, clothing patterns and hair style patterns. Any specific requests?

Vintage Betty

Sure, thanks. I'm always looking for store display ideas. I'm also always looking for (and saving) pictures like the overcoat ones above. The "Masters" of the '30's and '40's had a certain elegant style about them that's been lost for a long, long time. I refer back to these pictures (like your overcoat ones) all the time for inspiration when I'm wardrobing my customers.
Ya know Ms. Vb, I feel like I have a professional Coach when I view pictures from these Master Stylist ;) . Thanks.
Marty Mathis

Vintage Betty

1937 Searchlight Recipe (Cook) Book

This is a reprinted edition of the 1937 Searchlight Recipe (Cook) Book. I think these were giveaway editions with a food purchase. I gave away this cookbook here.

If you are interested in your own copy, this cookbook is pretty easy to find. The typical selling price ranges from $10-36.

searchlight1.jpg

searchlight2.jpg

searchlight3.jpg

Vintage Betty

1945 AUSCHWITZ , BUCHENWALD , BERGEN-BELSEN , DORA

1945 AUSCHWITZ , BUCHENWALD , BERGEN-BELSEN , DORA

Book Description: Michel De Romilly, Paris, 1945.

First Edition. 'Croquis clandestins' Leon Delarbre was a member of the French resistance. He was deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau. He drew clandestine sketches from the concentration camps. A scarce copy. xii, about 40 sketches unpaginated with captions to rear. Book is in French.

I believe this is a first edition, but I don't read French so I'm guessing.

Due to the sensitive nature of this book, only a few pages are being shown.

auschwitz1.JPG

auschwitz3.JPG

auschwitz4.JPG

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
I believe this is a first edition, but I don't read French so I'm guessing.

The first edition was published in '45, and I don't think there was another impression the same year. Not sure, though.

French books often have the imprint at the end - does it say anything there? (Impression and edition in French are impression and ?©dition, resp. :D)

Vintage Betty

Elements of TOPOGRAPHIC DRAWING Sloan & Montz, Hardcover

Elements of TOPOGRAPHIC DRAWING Sloan & Montz, Hardcover

topo1.JPG

I purchased this book as a gift for a surveyor friend. Unfortunately, he passed away before I could give it to him. I always thought the color images would be great if removed from the book and framed in a set on a wall.

topo2.JPG

topo3.JPG

Elements of TOPOGRAPHIC DRAWING Sloan & Montz
A course book and reference book for the topographic draftsman. including "a revised and more elaborate use of symbolic drafting as it has recently been developed by the allied engineering industries."
Hardcover, Published 1943. Light brown cloth binding with brown lettering.

topo4.JPG

Pages have aged a bit. 8.5" x 6".
Basics of Topographic Drawings.
251 pp; 123 Illustrations. 9 chapters:
  1. Topographic Drawing
  2. Conventional Signs
  3. Topographic Mapping
  4. Topographic Mapping in Colors
  5. Contour and Contour Sketching
  6. Copying-Duplication-Reproduction
  7. Map Projections
  8. Suggestions for Office Practice
  9. Suggested Problems

Used condition, pen and pencil marks inside front cover

topo5.JPG

topo6.JPG

Miss Brill

One Too Many
My earliest book is from the 1840s & it is about writing. It even has recipes for making ink. I don't know what I did with it though.

ETA: It is The Parlour Letter-Writer and Secretary's Assistant by R. Turner, copyright 1835.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy