Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Betty's Book of the Week

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wide-Awake Window Dresser by Frank L. Carr Jr. 1894

(continued from previous)
What I didn't realize is that window display dressing is an art. There really is a method of dressing store windows to display the maximum merchandise and to sell the most goods.

wide11.JPG

This book is one of the first to create a merchandising method to window displays. The author explains that certain windows can sell merchandise, and starts with various window designs, proceeds through display draping, types of materials, and methodologies to explain the displays.

wide12.JPG

As you can see by the photos, the author offers many methods to draping windows with various displays.

wide13.JPG

For the Victorian era, the displays were lush, decorative and merchandise-intensive. These aren't the bare-boned single item you see today in our retail stores.

wide14.JPG

These displays were meant to present a story, or else a large array of goods to attract you into the store.

wide15.JPG

What amazes me is how time-intensive these displays obviously are. If you look at some photos, you will see yards of ribbon partially unwrapped and hanging against the back wall backdrop. That means that persons had to re-wrap, iron or unravel the merchadise displays when the displays were done.

wide16.JPG

As if that wasn't enough pressure for the average shopkeeper, this book includes a wide amount of advertising between each chapter. Surprisingly, the author also advertises his many various display items for sale with his personal label, so the average shopkeeper can obtain the window dressing displayed in the book.

wide17.JPG

It's quite obvious that he made window dressing into a science. If you research this book, it is considered a primer for the basis of window dressing and the author is well-known for this book.

wide18.JPG

What I didn't expect is for this book to be so expensive and rare. This is probably because the book has over 400 plates (images) plus a step by step method of teaching you window displays. For 400 plates, that's very visually intensive, even more so since it is a Victorian book. I have been collecting window display books for a few years (I will discuss that shortly) and this book is about $200 for a copy in good condition.

wide19.JPG

I checked a well-known book site, and to my surprise both copies I looked at previously were sold. Since I purchased this copy in poor condition, I paid $66, which is a fair price. This copy comes up for sale on a regular basis, but unless you are seriously interested in this subject, I wouldn't recommend it's purchase, as it tends to be one of the higher priced books of this type.

wide20.JPG

Vintage Betty

(continued from previous)

I thought of opening up a retail shop a few years ago, and the location was in a prominent hotel with huge windows. I started thinking of window displays, and this lead to my interest in this subject, which is now called Visual Merchandising.

wide21.JPG

I have quite a few books about Visual Merchandising (this is my earliest book, dated 1894) but I have more books coming up in this thread in the future, so you can view the difference in goods and displays, including the Golden Era.

wide22.JPG

When you walk down the street, what do you like to see in the shop windows?

wide23.JPG

Avalon

A-List Customer
Shearer said:
I vaguely remember talking to someone about these years ago... this type of thing is just my cup of tea!

Mine too! :)

Vintage Betty, your books are completely and totally brilliant. I am envious, especially of the 1926 Charles William Catalog!

Keep posting 20s stuff if you can! :D

Vintage Betty

Avalon said:
Mine too! :)

Vintage Betty, your books are completely and totally brilliant. I am envious, especially of the 1926 Charles William Catalog!

Keep posting 20s stuff if you can! :D

I'm so glad you are enjoying this thread Ms. Avalon! That makes it all worthwhile to me. I have tons of books and magazines from about the 1850's onwards, so I intend to keep mixing it up. I have heard from various persons who like certain books like our own Mr. Marty M. (above) and he is interested in the many display books I have in my library focusing on window designs and presentations.

Other persons have expressed an interest in beauty, fashion, cookbooks and history. I haven't even started to post the children's books or novels, so that's more to share too. I hope I keep you interested with enough 1920's books to keep you viewing this thread!

Marty M. said:
Thanks VB. You gave me some new ideas for our window displays.
Marty Mathis

Mr. Marty M, I will be posting more info on window displays, and as an aside, there are many books available today on window design. Here's a peek into one of the only bookshelves I have organized by subject:

visual_books1.JPG
visual_books2.JPG
visual_books3.JPG

If you want the creme-de-la-creme of this bookshelf, definately go for the "Windows at Tiffany's" book. If you can be patient while looking, you can sometimes get it for a good price. This is a coffee table book and is NOT rare, so just set a budget of at least $75 and be patient - you will get it for your desired price. This book can go for $250 or more.

Oh, and as an aside, my antique books on window dressing and design that are 1920 and earlier are either stacked on top of or in front of these books, as I double stack my shelves. :eusa_doh:

More coming soon!

Vintage Betty

Mojito

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Other persons have expressed an interest in beauty, fashion, cookbooks and history. I haven't even started to post the children's books or novels, so that's more to share too. I hope I keep you interested with enough 1920's books to keep you viewing this thread!
Oh yes - another vote for the 20s books! Although the others are delicious as well (e.g. the Victorian/Edwardian material - yum). I've had a glance over my bookshelves, and few of my older books are so lavishly illustrated and visually interesting. There are a few teens to thirties books on maritime subjects (ships...lots and lots of ships), and some some Victorian books with lavish bindings and some good plates. A mid-century edition of Hood's poems, for example, which has some interesting illustrations. But nothing like these guides to fashion and design! I'm reading avidly, even when I don't always post my appreciation.

Vintage Betty

Thank you Ms. Mojito! I will endeavor to list more fashion items in conjunction with other books on various subjects sprinkled in. Be sure to check this week's book and next week's book; I think you will enjoy both.

Vintage Betty

Dr Doran

Thanks for the Hebrew-Latin madness, VB. I couldn't see well enough to read the words, but I'm sure you are right. Maybe I should wear my monocle to see better? Oh no, I can't mention a monocle or certain ladies will freak out. Never mind. Anyhow, nice book.

Vintage Betty

Doran said:
Thanks for the Hebrew-Latin madness, VB. I couldn't see well enough to read the words, but I'm sure you are right. Maybe I should wear my monocle to see better? Oh no, I can't mention a monocle or certain ladies will freak out. Never mind. Anyhow, nice book.

Glad you enjoyed my attempts at translating a crazy book. I will re-load the photos at some point and make them larger, so you can read them. Sorry about the small photos.

Not sure about the monocle debate...so I hope the ladies don't get too crazy in a book thread. :rolleyes:

Vintage Betty

Glove Making by Isabel M Edwards, 1929

Glove Making by Isabel M Edwards, 1929

As a childless woman, I find it interesting that I've made a few dozen handmade leather baby booties.

gloves1.JPG

A long time ago, I dated a man who had a side craft business. Among other things, he made leather baby booties. Very quickly, I started stitching them, and than starting cutting the patterns, and than made the entire baby booties, from start to finish. After a short time, I could begin with a leather pelt and finish with a basic set of baby booties in about an hour. A sturdy thimble, a curved and straight leather needles were my friends, always standing by and ready to tackle a new project.

gloves2.JPG

The baby booties got easier to make after repeated stitching and cutting. If the leather was extra thin, I could even cut two pieces of leather at once by reversing the pieces and cutting once. They were very cute, with fringe, pom poms and even little embellishments and painted embellishments.

gloves3.JPG

I tried to make a pleather pair, but unfortunately the results were poor. I discovered that if I sanded the sealent on the pleather (fake leather) I could do a poor stamping with leather tools, with a weak impression. Dying the pleather was pretty much out of the question, due to the sealent.

gloves4.JPG

The problem I have with making a few baby booties is that very quickly I think I can tackle harder projects. I assisted with making a pair of men's boots from scratch, and therefore I thought: "Self, you can make baby booties and you've made one pair of boots. What else can you make?" So when I saw this book I thought, why not gloves?

gloves5.JPG

In short order, I realized that gloves are not for the timid. They have precise patterns, various types of leather, materials and threads. You need to adjust the patterns for your hand size, and than alter the leather and threads not to show lumpy seams and not have your waxed leather thread knot against your finger in the wrong place - difficult stuff!

gloves6.JPG

I found this book in London a number of years ago for 8.5 Pounds, and snapped it up, dreaming of home made gloves in my closet, many pairs to match my outfits. Various editions of this book now sell for $14.00-50.00. You can get a copy on ebay in CD format, scanned and sold for a few dollars too.

Will I make a pair of leather gloves? Yes, I hope to, and hope that you will join me to stop dreaming and start stitching again, even if I have to start with baby booties to refresh my skills. ;)

Marty M.

Vendor
Thanks VB.

Hi VB,
Your collection of display books are very impressive to say the least. Bravo. I've had lots of computer issues latley. I think that we have them back and running normally now (not a cheap venture). We just did our windows and interior displays. I'll try and get some pictures snapped soon and post them. Thanks for the ideas you've given me.
Marty Mathis

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Miss Betty, even though the scans are nice, my favorite parts of your posts are your stories. I love it that you take the time to write up your experiences relating to the page content. :eusa_clap

Vintage Betty

Mr. MartyM, I'm so glad you are getting ideas for Window Displays! I will be posting quite a bit more source material on this subject that you will find interesting.

Miss GwenLake, I'm glad you are enjoying this thread! Thank you for kindly posting your comments.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

So You Want to Be A Model! Clyde Matthew Dessner, 1944

I was more than surprised the woman I just hired recently told me stories of being treated like chattel.

model1.JPG

I'm not used to people I'm working with telling me the stories I heard: the stalking men, photographers taking their photos without their permission repeatedly, and gave them too much unwanted attention.

model2.JPG

Of course, I'm talking about models. These aren't A-List Celebrities; these are beautiful smart women who would like a professional career in modeling or else are using modeling as a stepping stone towards a better life.

model3.JPG

One of the most beautiful women I hired (She was on the A-list of models from the agency) told me that she was using modeling simply to pay her way through college.

model4.JPG

model4a.JPG

She tried other jobs like waitressing, but it didn't pay her college tuition towards her law degree.

model5.JPG

Another model I hired for the same conference told me stories of men stalking her, forcing her to take their phone numbers, and taking her photo without permission.

model6.JPG

Coincidentally, right as she was telling me this, a leering man came up to our booth and proceeded to take her photo with his camera phone.

model7.JPG

As her boss for the week of the conference, I asked her if that was acceptable to her, or did she wish me to track him down to apologize or remove the photo?

Vintage Betty

model8.JPG

She sighed, and said, no, it was very common in her line of work. She said men on the street took her photo without permission too.

model9.JPG

Considering she was only 23 years old, I was alarmed that this was standard behavior for her to deal with in her industry, but alas, it is considered standard.

model10.JPG

When I was a young woman, I always loved fashion and fashion design. I always wished I was pretty enough to be considered a model, to wear the clothes and to get the attention in front of and behind the camera.

model11.JPG

Now I'm not so sure of the dreams of my younger self, and I am concerned about what I have seen of being a model - what I imagined was larger than life.

model12.JPG

Vintage Betty

Housekeeping...

Posted in the Worst Ads Thread...

1890 Delineator...

(No Cover)

ad_delineator_1890.JPG

or 1936 Modes et Travaux

modes_travaux_cover.JPG

Doesn't she look like Satan is her friend?

ad_bad1.JPG

Vintage Betty

Koppeefun: Magic copy paper kit, circa 1940

Koppeefun: Magic copy paper kit, circa 1940

Time for a bit of fun: right click and paste your favorite images into a word document program, than print. Cut out and paste or use tracing paper to create your own fun images from this small book!

koppeefun1.JPG

koppeefun2.JPG

koppeefun4.JPG

koppeefun3.JPG

koppeefun5.JPG

koppeefun6.JPG

koppeefun7.JPG

koppeefun8.JPG

koppeefun9.JPG

Vintage Betty

Neues illustrirtes Conditoreibuch by Carl Krackhart, 1886

Neues illustrirtes Conditoreibuch : Prakt. Hand- u. Nachschlagebuch f. Conditoren, Fein-, Marcipan u. Pastetenbäcker, Z by Carl Krackhart. München, Germany. Hardback.

neues1.JPG

Author: Carl Krackhart
Published: 1886

neues2.JPG

Modern ISBN: 386047278X. Re-published, 1996. Babelfish translation of cover: New illustrirtes Conditoreibuch: Prakt. Hand and reference book f. Conditoren, fine, Marcipan and pie baker, Zubereiter v. freezing, Lebküchner, Chocolade and Liqueurfabrikanten, cooks, owner of hotel, as well as f. each Hausfr

neues3.JPG

Quick review: (5 stars)
An absolutely outstanding book of recipes and templates of pastry making, baking and cooking methods from the 1800's. The templates alone are worth the price of the book, regardless of content.

neues4.JPG

When I was younger, I wanted to be a chef.

neues5.JPG

Not just any chef, but a pastry chef. I loved and still love to create edible confections of art and give them to people to eat.

neues6.JPG

And when I was younger, there were only two cooking schools in the United States. One was within driving distance of my home.

neues7.JPG

But, I was part of a family that didn't believe in student loans and I couldn't figure out how I was going to pay $30,000 in fees to become a pastry chef that paid approximately $36,000 a year. I never even heard of the possibility of student loans until many years later.

neues8.JPG

All in all, I missed the opportunity and wished I had taken it.

neues9.JPG

But there is something to be said about not having to be on duty and cook for every single holiday, Friday and Saturday night.

Sometimes life gives gifts without realizing it. This book makes me wish I had gone to cooking school with the superb recipes and pastry templates of the 1880's. They are absolutely astounding. Enjoy!

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
wow, I love the diary from jan 1930

I am a Trojan alum and I noticed that We licked Pittsburg pretty bad in 1930 according to the first page of the journal entry. It's nice to know some things haven't changed much at all... I have a few old books that I cherish: an old hardback edition of Henry Miller's Tropic of cancer which was written around 1934 though banned from being published in the USA until 1961. Also I found some music instruction books in an antique store from the 30's as well. I am a musician and find that the technique for teaching sight singing in one of the books is more articulate, thourough and easily understood than the books I used in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy