Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Camping Equipment

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
I just was just looking and sure enough. I found a thread for vintage camping gear. We have a number of vintage camping items except that they were new when we got them. Over time I've accumulated more vintage stuff some older than the original things we've had. Our Grandson has caught the vintage camping bug and has accumulated some pretty cool stuff already. Are there any American Gas Machine enthusiasts out there? They were a competitor to Coleman and had as many or more products.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I found this great canvas bag and am looking for ideas on its original use, and how to clean it. Let me know what you think. The bottom is round, and it seems to have been made from canvas either used or intended to be used for the "medical department".
DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
One of my tents .........

P5280068.jpg

I do on occasion use vintage kit. Anoraks, waterbottles, cord breeks and old Primus and Optimus stoves. I also have a dozen or so old backpacks/rucksacks from the 40's, 50's and 60's. All canvas and leather. Karrimor, Brown Best, Bergans etc. My collection is a lot smaller now ! :p

Dave

Warden

One Too Many
Well I did it,

Just purchased this little tent for the family camping holiday.

5m_ultimate_tent_ma.jpg

I hope this works, Edna & I used to camp before our little ones came along. Since then we have been firm users of the motel.

Yes dear, I am sure it will be warm, dry, etc..

Harry

Hangman

New in Town
Mojave Jack said:
lol That may have worked when I was 20, but this is my idea of camping now!

mobile_tentExtView_br2.jpg

I used to go camping on my motorcycle, using my shelter half when it was damp or rainy, and just rolling up in my poncho liner. I kept a .380 under the spare clothes I used as a pillow, and could fit everything I needed into a shoulder ditty bag. Now I only take what will fit in the bed of my truck. :p
Camping is my families favorite past-time, and this outfit looks wonderful!

Cricket

Practically Family
My mother is watching the little one this weekend. So the hubby and I will be heading to our land for a one-night camping trip. It is not in a park or off in another town. Our land is literally minutes from our house. But at least its camping. Until our cows come over to our tent to check us out in the middle of the night. lol

Our son doesn't like camping just yet. The sounds of the woods frighten him. The last trip we had to get up and head home at 3 a.m. But home was only a few miles away.

I know this particular post isn't about equipment but I will shoot some photos this weekend of our spread.

Baggers

Practically Family
I bought one of Jerry's camp tables back in May. It's a well made piece of equipment and almost matches perfectly with the chair and cot I purchased from him earlier. The only difference being its newness. I've been meaning to take some pictures and post them here but time got away from me. Perhaps next week.

Cheers!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
There was a posting about a year ago about a cooking bottle of some sort. I can't remember if it was Swedish or Swiss but I believe it was military in origin. It was a bottle & stove and everything in one neat package. All you had to do was build a small fire under it to get things going & I think that the vintage ones had a cork stopper as the new ones have a screw in. For the life of me I can't remember what it is called. I think GiJoe had a vintage one and posted it. Thanks in advance for any help in this search. I will keep searching, and if I find it first I'll post it here. It just seemed like a very handy vintage camping item. Especially if you're doing a historical hike on a cool day and need something warm to drink or eat.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, a bit more searching with different combinations seemed to help. I was right. it is Swiss Military surplus. They are called Volcano Bottles. Apparently they use a fuel tab but you can also burn wood, dried peat or any other fuel under it.
swiss-volcano-cooker-free-fuel(1).jpg

Here is a blog about it: http://scottishcanoeing.blogspot.com/2008/12/swiss-army-ranger-volcano-stove.html

Do any of you folks have these and what kind of use do you get out of them? Have you used them on hikes or camping trips?

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
In my searches this evening I also had found a modern alternative to the Swiss surplus volcano bottle/stove from a company called Kelly Kettle.

It does have a different look to it but I think it is essentially they same.
Stainless_Steel__4bb0f9914508f.jpg

The Kelly Kettle also has a full cooking kit option as well.
Stainless_Steel__4a09e6fa2e416.jpg

Does anybody here have one of these? What are your thoughts on it? Please share your experiences.

How do you think they compare to a Swedish Mess Kit Trangia?
army_trangia_set_olive.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I found a pic on line of the Lantern that My Pop has. It is a Bernz-O-Matic Lantern. There is also a camp stove that is similarly designed and took the bottled propane. The same bottles that one would use for a small torch for soldering.
101_0359.jpg
101_0329.jpg

I'm going to have to go digging through my sisters barn. I have a good idea where it is because I've seen the wood box they're in out there. They should be in excellent shape.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, does anybody here use a teardrop trailer? I imagine they are a sight better than sleeping on a thin pad on the ground in a tent. Plus you have the cooking space located in the back as well.
So, who here has one, vintage or new?
super-deluxe-teardrop-trailer.gif

Teardrop_Camper_With_Kitchen_300x260.jpg

I would love to hear about your adventures in camping with one of these little campers or caravans?

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails