Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage clothes - where do I find them?

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Dallas/Fort Worth ladies:

Have any of you been to Ragwear lately? I bought a few things there about ten years ago, but haven't been back since then. Is it a place that you would recommend now?

--Leslie

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
My husband and I just got back from a shopping trip. We went to Ragwear first. Most of the stuff Ragwear carries is 60s-70s, but we found a 1940s dark green DB 2-piece suit that fit him perfectly, so we got it...$60.

The folks at Ragwear told us about Putting on the Ritz, across from Southern Methodist University, so we headed over there. I found an adorable 1940s afternoon dress that fit me perfectly, but it was $290! :eek: I decided to wait and see if they put it on sale when the weather starts getting cooler.

The weather *will get cooler eventually, right?

...please?

*whimper*

--Leslie

ITG

Call Me a Cab
RaasAlHayya said:
Dallas/Fort Worth ladies:

Have any of you been to Ragwear lately? I bought a few things there about ten years ago, but haven't been back since then. Is it a place that you would recommend now?

--Leslie

Where is that? I'm in Arlington.

You need to go check out Bon Ton's off of I-35E (south of Dallas near Waxahachie).

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Ragwear is on Preston Road, across the street from Valley View Mall; northeast corner of Preston and Dilbeck. They are closed Sunday-Tuesday. Ragwear seems to mostly have 60s-70s clothes and cheap Halloween costumes.

We also went to Putting on the Ritz in Snider Plaza, close to SMU. They have astronomical prices, but a much better selection of Golden Era stuff.

I'll add Bon Ton's to my list...thanks, ITG!

--Leslie

p.s. Go look in the "Show us your suits III" thread for our new acquisition!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Aw yes, I've been to Ragwear. My fiance lives off of Preston and Frankfurt and I frequently pass it while going. I guess I just didn't remember the name of that "vintage place I drop by periodically when going up Preston." You're right, their vintage 40s selection is very small. What part of Dallas are you in?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
South Arlington near the Parks Mall. (It takes me about 35 min. to get to Ragwear. Since my fiance moved a bit north and closer to the tollway near Frankfurt, I don't make it down Preston as often.)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you ladies for all of these great links. I thought I had discovered all of the vintage online shops and was getting kind of tired with visiting the same stores over and over again. It's nice to discover some new places for vintage.
Rosie, that is a great link. I'm definitely going to make a list of names and addresses of all the shoppes, so I can be nice and prepared for my next trip to the city.

Viviene

Vendor
You could try http://mainstreetvintage.com There are several stores that I recommend there. One is Alley Cats Vintage and another is Fast Eddie's Retro Rags. They are friends of mine. They have excellent items, the prices are fair and their service is impeccable. They have both sold on Ebay as well and still do occasionally.

lavendar lady

New in Town
I found a couple of places in Portland, Oregon

One is called Avalon 410 S.W. Oak St. Another is Magpie 520 S.W.9th Ave.
Then there are the goodwills, thrift stores and the value villages.
Thats all i can think of right now.
L.L.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I know that H & M gonna launch their Viktor & Rolf lin tommorow. I caught a glimpse on a super-cute dress and blouse in several magazines.... I´ll go tommorow right after work to try on things ;)

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Anna!

I have a friend who I met through Civil War living history who is a wonderfull seamstress! Most of her customers order her 19th century garments, but she also does vintage inspired pieces. She has some ready mades, plus does custom work. You can go to www.thegracefullady.com for her main site, and then click on "Anna's Boutique" for her vintage-y items. I will be cross-posting this to the other clothing sticky thread.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
RetroModelSari said:
I know that H & M gonna launch their Viktor & Rolf lin tommorow. I caught a glimpse on a super-cute dress and blouse in several magazines.... I´ll go tommorow right after work to try on things ;)
I wish H and M would sell their items on their website . The store near me is downtown and hard to get to, and it quite small compared to the others I have been in. (on Chicago's Magnicifant Mile, Schamburg, IL, and the one in the Cleveland area, of Ohio.) :eek:fftopic:

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Yes, if they´d do some mail-order, too that would be great! They had a beautifull black 40s trowser with very high waist... I just don´t find that one in my size ANYWHERE!!! Now I´ve been to about 4 different H&M stores and didn´t suceed yet! :rage:

A sneak preview of what they offer today in the Viktor and Rolf line...

event11_normal.jpg

event15_normal.jpg

event20_normal.jpg

event2_normal.jpg

event9_normal.jpg

VR_22_normal.jpg

There are cute peacoats for the men, too and I love the geek-styling they did on their male models. In the video that I saw from the fashion show all models SMILED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner