Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage clothes - where do I find them?

katiepickle

New in Town
San Diego Girls!

If you are ever in the San Diego area, I would suggest Frock You. Very reasonable prices, good quality items and sometimes they will trade. (There is also Wear it Again Sam in SD but they are a little pricey (and I have had bad experiences with their customer service)) But Frock You rocks, sorry...no website...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RetroModelSari said:
I know that H & M gonna launch their Viktor & Rolf lin tommorow. I caught a glimpse on a super-cute dress and blouse in several magazines.... I´ll go tommorow right after work to try on things ;)
Did you ever make it to H&M?
I went a few weeks ago, WOW, they had some great stuff. I'm not sure if the selection is different for you. Usually the European stores get better stuff than what we get here in the states. But, I was thoroughly impressed with their selection. I got quite a few outfits, all vintage inspired. And a great black tweed suit. The prices are really reasonable too, and the fit is good. If anyone has one near them and hasn't checked them out yet, I recommend them. Lot's of great outfits, and many, many different styles.

GOK

One Too Many
Are you serious Daisy? H&M have vintage inspired clothes? My goodness, there is a branch within five minutes' walk of my house! Guess where I'm going tomorrow? :D

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Did you ever make it to H&M?
I went a few weeks ago, WOW, they had some great stuff. I'm not sure if the selection is different for you. Usually the European stores get better stuff than what we get here in the states. But, I was thoroughly impressed with their selection. I got quite a few outfits, all vintage inspired. And a great black tweed suit. The prices are really reasonable too, and the fit is good. If anyone has one near them and hasn't checked them out yet, I recommend them. Lot's of great outfits, and many, many different styles.

Yes I did and the stuff was sold out in no time (at least here). But as nice the clothes look they were not looking nice on me... They didn´t have a defined waist so I looked like a potatoe. The other vintage style clothes there are really great though!!! I got me a beautifull black 50s coat for a reduced price.

redlady

New in Town
More about Portland ....

lavendar lady said:
One is called Avalon 410 S.W. Oak St. Another is Magpie 520 S.W.9th Ave.
Then there are the goodwills, thrift stores and the value villages.
Thats all i can think of right now.
L.L.

Hello, Lavender lady! I've just joined myself, and was wondering if there was anyone from my neck of the woods! There's a great vintage shop in Vancouver itself, actually - The Urban Eccentric. Chris is the shop owner - she's very sweet, and is there most of the week.

For any of you with the temptation to travel, Portland is a city of many terrific vintage shops - I was, in fact, introduced to the site by your dear MK at a 10 year anniversay party for Decades (that's near Avalon, Lavender). There's also a fun new place in Sellwood called Metro Retro - she's relocated from L.A., Betsy's on Division and on the same street there's Lived in Lover which has the best selection of 1940's apparel in Portland. The only one of our many stores which I DO NOT recommened is the best known - Torso. They're not only insufferable snobs, and overpriced to the local economy (priced for trunk shows in Paris, dahhling), but they really don't have the best business ethics. With the exclusion of that particular place, Portland is a fabulous city to come hunting for treasures, and the prices here are certainly more attractive than in New York, Seattle or L.A.

Can't wait to get know you ladies better ... promise I'll get pics or an avatar shortly!

Cheers,
Julie

Daisy Buchanan

GOK said:
Are you serious Daisy? H&M have vintage inspired clothes? My goodness, there is a branch within five minutes' walk of my house! Guess where I'm going tomorrow? :D
Did you make it to H&M? If so, how did it go?

RetroModelSari, I'm sorry to hear that the clothes weren't fitting you right:(
But, glad to hear that you got a coat at a discount. I got a cute black button up nubby wool coat with a belted waist and puffy shoulders. I'm very happy with it, and have worn it every day since I got it. They also had a great selection of cute blouses. More were fifties inspired, but very cute. Got a cute pink and black polka dot sheer blouse with a bow neck that is just darling.

GOK

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Did you make it to H&M? If so, how did it go?

Nope! I've been so busy that I've not had a chance but I'm going this morning after the postman has been. Will let you know how I get on!

I got a cute black button up nubby wool coat with a belted waist and puffy shoulders. I'm very happy with it, and have worn it every day since I got it.

Well let's see it then! :D

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Hi Daisy!

Oh yes, those blouses with bows are just too adorable. I already got me 2 or 3 and still love them!!!

Let´s see your coat!!! This is my cute little bargain:

I love the round collar!

Hugs,
Sari

GOK

One Too Many
I got to H&M yesterday and bought a very sweet little satin blouse. No prizes for guessing that it was black! lol I shall post a pic in the 'show us your purchases section'.

SeLVaGEBoutique

New in Town
Sad news!
Dick Jane and Spike in Oceanside, CA closed and is only selling on ebay and at shows now. On the other hand, a new vintage store opened down the road called Selvage Modern Vintage...good stuff, *wink wink*!

Daisy Buchanan

RetroModelSari said:
Hi Daisy!

Oh yes, those blouses with bows are just too adorable. I already got me 2 or 3 and still love them!!!

Let´s see your coat!!! This is my cute little bargain:

I love the round collar!

Hugs,
Sari
That is such a great coat! I'll have to post a picture of mine, but until then if you click on my website below and go to the Rome page, you'll see ton's of pictures of me in it. Darn image shack isn't working for me right now!!!!!

I think I'm gonna have to head back over to H&M on Monday. I'm really happy with all the stuff I got there, and it's wearing and washing really well.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I just got a flyer from Puttin' on the Ritz in Dallas; they're closing their storefront and going worldwide via the internet. All their merchandise is 20% off until they close their doors on December 16th. They're normally pretty pricey, but they only sell stuff that's in excellent condition.

--Leslie

Daisy Buchanan

RetroModelSari said:
Daisy, I checked the sita and both you and the coat are damn cute!
Thank you so very much, that's so sweet of you. You know, it's been hard to take pictures lately cause I'm on this damn medication, high doses of steroids like what athletes us to bulk up, they made me put on quite a few pounds. I know that eventually it'll come off, but for now it's quite uncomfortable. Your compliments really made my day:) thank you so much! (as a side not apparently the steroids are making me emotional too:p !)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner