Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Well....Things looked ok today, and my Dr. let me come home from the hospital!!!

As promised, here's a quick snap of me wearing my new Moscot Original "Lemtosh" glasses, and thought I'd put on my Jaxon Bogart as well.....Rest of me was "coming home from hospital casual".

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Cacklewack was shopping for new frames the other day. I was a strong proponent for these:

mattglasses1.jpg

Masonjar

New in Town
J. M. Stovall said:
I can't believe they still make those, I had frames just live that in Jr. High (1977ish). I actually still have them and my daughter uses them for dress up.

I remember wanting wire frames in the 80's but I couldn't because my lenses were too thick. I hated the plastic. Now, after having several pairs of wire frames, I'm happy with plastic again, and am hoping to find something even more retro than what I have now. Though, I can't say going back to a pair I had in the 80's is on my list of things to do right now.. those things were HUGE.

-Mason

carter

I'll Lock Up
I picked these Vintage Reproduction Zyl's up off ebay last week.

1402750791_8a08eb9725.jpg

and these 60's Oxford University frames

1403638498_1c34f2ec3f.jpg

now I need to have lenses done.

Speedster

Practically Family
BJBAmerica said:
Have to have a new pair of glasses......Ordered a pair of the Shuron "Freeway" frames, which arrived yesterday, but not happy with the way they look on me.

Looking for a pair similar to the ones you always see Johnny Depp wearing, very retro 50's.....Tortoise Shell Horn Rims.

So, am sending the Shuron Freeway's back, and after doing some additional research, have found out that Depp wears a pair of Lemtosh's from a NYC Optical store called Sol Moscot's.

Here's a link to their site....They offer several "Moscot Original" retro frames....The Lemtosh frames are on their way to me now.

http://www.moscots.com/

Anyone else have these frames or deal with Sol Moscot Optical?

Very cool looking glasses, those Moscot's but your link is still incorrect. It should be: www.moscot.com

Edward

Bartender
Masonjar said:
I remember wanting wire frames in the 80's but I couldn't because my lenses were too thick. I hated the plastic. Now, after having several pairs of wire frames, I'm happy with plastic again, and am hoping to find something even more retro than what I have now. Though, I can't say going back to a pair I had in the 80's is on my list of things to do right now.. those things were HUGE.

-Mason

The only problem I have with plastic is they're more expensive than wire to get something I like, and opticians will only put two sets of lenses in them as a rule - apparently to heat them to take a third set risks them not reforming properly and the lenses falling out. Still, I'd probably go for fifties style plastics if I was getting glasses again. For now, though, I'm trying to not buy any more as I'm hoping to get my eyes lasered this year.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Those are much like these:
harrypalmerstyleglassesax9.jpg

I got mine about 15 years ago in a little eyeglass shop in the mission district of San Francisco for about $40. They are vintage 1960s and made by a company called "Embassy". Have you tried a place called "Eyeglass Warehouse"? They are a little pricey but they have quality frames. I used to have Mr.Palmer as my avatar. Michael Caine is great in those films. I like them better than the Bond films. Good luck in your search! Sefton

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
http://members.tripod.com/keesstam/trivia.html

to find the following information

"It's interesting to note that author Len Deighton wore an identical pair at this time (refer to the classic on set photo of him and Caine in Harry's kitchen preparing for the "egg cracking" shot" see this photo here).These glasses have been long out of production and the nearest modern equivalent available today is a style called "Grant" by 'Oliver Peoples'."

http://www.oliverpeoples.com

look at the pair marked Tycoon under the prescription eyewear heading

hope it helps in your search

dv

MB5

One of the Regulars
Morgenthal Frederics may make something similar, but if they do it is not going to be cheap. The closest on their website is Rex.

http://www.morgenthal-frederics.com/

You may also want to try Wal-Mart's optical shop. They seemed to carry some vintage styled frames a couple of years ago.

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire, you may be able to find something very close here: http://www.retro-specs.co.uk/

At the top there is a "search the site" toolbar. The 3rd one is search by celebrety. If you select Michael Caine in the drop-down menu you will get two pictures of Harry Palmer and Retro-Specs suggestion as to which glasses match. They have two frames by Black Eyewear.

Gook luck hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass