Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

Clear Frames

My experience with clear frames (somewhat as pictured) in sunglasses is that the frames tend to illuminate themselves and dazzle me. They pick up the sun like a light board and somewhat defeat the purpose of sunglasses. That and everything must fit inside a full face motorcycle helmet.
I have been eyeing these:
1074li.jpg
[/IMG]
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aviator-Goggles-p-16692.html

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
New Glasses

Have to have a new pair of glasses......Ordered a pair of the Shuron "Freeway" frames, which arrived yesterday, but not happy with the way they look on me.

Looking for a pair similar to the ones you always see Johnny Depp wearing, very retro 50's.....Tortoise Shell Horn Rims.

So, am sending the Shuron Freeway's back, and after doing some additional research, have found out that Depp wears a pair of Lemtosh's from a NYC Optical store called Sol Moscot's.

Here's a link to their site....They offer several "Moscot Original" retro frames....The Lemtosh frames are on their way to me now.

http://www.moscots.com/

Anyone else have these frames or deal with Sol Moscot Optical?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
Sounds interesting..... OT, how did you find the LASIK?

Currently with my fingertips and a white stick! But... they say it'll get better soon!

Actually, I'm at 20/20 distance and dead blind close-up. My little magnifier readers help with that though. At least when I'm outside I can wear all my vintage sunglasses! -dixon cannon

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
The link in my opening post has been updated......Here are is a picture of their Lemtosh frame, in various colors.....I've ordered the Tortoise Shell.

Will post a picture of them on me when they arrive.....Expect them early next week!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
National "Elf Specs

There are some beauties there on the UK website that you saw in the old British films and everything old is now new!.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Glad to see some great old styles making a comeback. I have a pair of vintage quite similar to those. Mine are a translucent smoke grey color. I picked them up about 15 years ago in a little antique shop in the North Beach section of San Francisco. Those repros don't look half bad though. good luck with your new specs.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I just got a vintage pair and a repro vintage pair filled today. There are some really cute vintagey feel ones out there now. I was real happy with the choices.I can't wait until I get them back.
grecian48blue.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My "New" Shurons

These glasses have a very Art Deco but post war sort of edgy space age finish that does not appear on the pic. They have brushed aluminium facia with flashes engineered into the facia tooling. The reverse is highly polished and glass like.

The only tarnish is where the skin hits the nose guards and that is infinitesimal. The manufacturing qualities are awesome. Downside is a little heavy but with today's lenses what the heck?

Anyone know the exact age. They look a bit Malcolm X but are earlier.

Anyone know of a reputable online lense supplier? Lenses say Japanes top line are AUD360 Down Under.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Moscots models

Miltzen. Vilda. Lemtosh. Malpa. Nebb. Zelig.
Sounds like the cast of characters in a Woody Allen movie.
I guess Moscots knows their market!

The canonical Woody frame, btw, isn't the Zelig. It's the Lemtosh.
woody-allen01.jpg
lemtosh.jpg

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Well, the Moscot Original "Lemtosh" frames arrived, and I've taken them to my optician, and the were ready with their new lenses today!!! I like 'em!

Am currently in the hospital, but should be home in the next day or two and will post a photo of me wearing them.

For those that don't know me, I'd like to introduce myself again. My name is Barry Baldwin....Am 39 years old, with a wonderful wife, Shannon, and 2 boys (Chris, 11 and Alex 7).

Became a member here a while ago, but haven't been very active as have been battling cancer. Was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma of the right thigh last September (tumor on the bone). Had to have my right leg amputated just before Christmas, December 19th. Have been doing follow-up chemotherapy since then with treatements both at home and in the hospital.

One more round of treatments to go and then we're all clear!

Anyway, being rasied by my WWII generation grandparents, I have a deep affection for the style and culture of the 40's and 50's!!! I surely enjoy reading all the posts here and look forward to becoming a more active/involved member as my cancer treatments wind down.

My Best Regards to All Here!

Barry-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass