Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Cool frames

Dinerman,

Those are great looking frames. Are the from a private source or a distributer? Can you share with the rest of the class. I think that the clear frames with the green lenses would make sharp sunglasses. Good luck in your venture.

---Scott

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I like them, but it's really pretty impossible to say how something is going to work without seeing how it works on your own face.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found them at a place called zennioptical.com I checked reviews, which have said that you should definitely go for the plastic framed ones, and that sometimes the quality can be a bit less than perfect, but then again, others have said they're great.
I guess you get what you pay for.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometimes you get way more than you pay for, in a good way

One of the many frames I wear are clear frames, although called crystal by the brand I bought, and while not in the shape you chose I get daily compliments. Inexpensive is not necessarily bad; I have been going to America's Best for about 15 years and get much better service, glasses, contact lenses, selection and prices than the gougers, I mean other places. Even when the rip-off places, I mean other guys, have a discount or is even covered by insurance it is still way more than I've ever paid at the doctor and optician I go to now.
I say stick with the choices you made, they will look flattering.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Retro Frames

Twice now I have been scammed by these "dead stock" 1950s leftover in an opticians shop Shuron charachters. I got one back with an eBay/Paypal protest and another just did not argue. Just be aware if they are dead stock never used. Many are poor quality side show PRC style fakes.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Spectacle Frames

Dinerman said:
I found them at a place called zennioptical.com I checked reviews, which have said that you should definitely go for the plastic framed ones, and that sometimes the quality can be a bit less than perfect, but then again, others have said they're great.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Someone told the manafacture cost anywhere is about USD5!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I made the mistake of getting clear frames when I was in middle school. I HATED them!! I thought that because they were clear they'd go with everything.... but it just made them stand out that I was wearing glasses.

If at all possible, try them on first to make sure you like how you look in them.

My .02.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- my last two pairs of glasses have been pretty round, and the sunglasses I like are either round or almost round. The current rectangular or long oval ones just don't look good on me.
I don't mind glasses that call attention to themselves. My tortoise ones hardly say, "I'm not wearing glasses". so I don't think that should be a problem.

I wonder, though about quality. I'm just amazed when I go to the glasses store that they can get away with charging 200 bucks for a pair of factory made frames. It's machine molded plastic, how could it possibly cost 200 dollars?

I wonder if there's just less markup in this case, or is the quality completely shoddy.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm thinking there's less mark-up. The amber ones=green lenses, clear ones=clear lenses sound very cool for you.
Speaking of "I'm wearing glasses"-type glasses, when I was younger I was much better looking and a model. When I needed glasses I went and got men's machinist-type glasses. Hey, I can't hide I'm wearing glasses, why try? Sure enough, three of my cute girl friends bought glasses like mine. The optician finally figured it out and said to one, "You know Ashley, don't you?" :D

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
Check These Out....

P1020468-2.jpg

These are my present frames. It is the Lafont "Jury." I had a pair similar before these, but the lenses were a bit smaller and the color a kind of bakelite brownish tan. I loved those, but really love these! I did a quick scan of the web and found they are no longer made. Figures!! I did see a few for sale on wholesale frame sites, even in clear color if you are interested.

I am sure you know it is hard to find vintage inspired "new" frames. I am lucky to have an eye doctor with a great selection, even if they are pricey. I believe to get the look, it is worth it. Good luck. :)

Edward

Bartender
Trawling eBay, it seems to me that where the difference really lies is in the legs.... I see a lot of modern retro-style frames that would be just fine, but the earpieces are modern plastics rather than the more typically (from what I've seen) 30s springy-type ends that wrap round the ears. I'm really looking for them to load up with shaded lenses and use as sunglasses (initially for wear with my contacts, but hoping in due course to ditch those altogether in favour of laser-correction). 50s style seems very easy (Wayfarers were intoduced by Ray Ban in 1952 and have periodically gone in and out of fashion with very little change since); Clubmasters I don't know - I think they were 50s too (G-Man style). Great for that CIA look with a suit (IMHO, unless you're trying to look like a Reservoir Dog, or Jake and Elwood, Wayfarers are best kept to casuals rather than with suits). 30s style's a bit harder. I'm still keeping my eye out for the right pair of silver ones I can turn into shades a la that Nazi guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark (amusingly enough, I already have the leather trenchcoat and hat.... ).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Seems to me the classic 30s sun glasses (invariably called cheaters at the time; shades is later, hipster lingo) would be round, probably with the bows at midpoint rather than up top, with light colored frames and green lenses.

ivorythickround1.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
Seems to me the classic 30s sun glasses (invariably called cheaters at the time; shades is later, hipster lingo) would be round, probably with the bows at midpoint rather than up top, with light colored frames and green lenses.

ivorythickround1.JPG

From what little I know, that seems right to me. I'm working on the basis, though, that if i could get a good pair of period or period style spectacle frames, they'd do just as well with dark lenses. I guess it might not be period-typical, but period-possible is fine for me. :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- I've got a couple of pairs of '30s sunglasses, and I'm basing the clear frames/ green lenses on one of them (though over time, the clear has yellowed).

Hinges are in the middle on the '30's ones, and at the top on the later '40s and '50s ones.

Jay

Practically Family
Zenni Optical

I think I'm getting a pair from them. With that ridiculous price, I can't see why not(no pun intended). And according to their site, they're based in California. I was expecting somewhere like Burma, or Nicaragua. Seems like it's a reputable place, after all.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
40s and 50s Frames

There are a few reputable sellers on evilBay but for the good ones be prepared to pay around USD100+ . I have been scammed twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner