Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goldfish said:
Even with the right hand I don't think I could paint it as even as you ! Love the look, when has it been popular? And what is the polish you're wearing?

Actually, I have no idea when it's been popular. It probably is not much of a vintage look, since it has a French mani feel to it and my understanding is those started in the 60's. My polish is OPI Tickle My France-y on the nail and OPI Did Someone Say Party? on the tip.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Wow - you ladies have all inspired me to grow my nails now!

I was thinking of getting gel tips, as i really miss my long red classic nails! But I dont think I could handle the maintenance again [huh]

Emer

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I like using Nailtiques nail protein as a top coat. Keeps my polish looking nice for quite awhile, dries pretty fast and also makes my nails nice and strong!

Kitty! Turns out my grandmother swears by this brand and had an extra bottle waiting for me!! I love it! It makes my nails so pretty and glossy! Here's my polish job after about 3 days and it's still shiny!

nails_2.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I am absolutely struggling with doing the free-hand manicure, I'm painting across the nail as you suggested, but I think it's difficult to get a smooth surface this way. Result so far, but will keep practicing. Let me know if you have any more tips, anything will help at this point! :)

3306385295_6ec53ec2d3.jpg

Retro_Lass

New in Town
I've had false nails before simply because I can't seem to grow or shape my nails to my liking.
I have red nails 80% of the time. Other times I get daring and try other colours to match outfits for special occasions.
I have short nails right now,bright red polish.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Im happy to report that I have been looking after my nails for the last week or so and they have rewarded me with some more growth!

I am still oh so tempted to go out and get some long gels - but I am trying not to and persist! Im sure it wont be long before I am flashing my reds around!

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I did these tonight...

http://f.imagehost.org/view/0945/moons

Left hand/Right hand

I like the left ones better. :eek: I used an empty concealer stick for the halfmoons. First I cleaned it off and then added nailpolish remover to the fuzzy end. I still need to clean up the edges. This is the first time they've actually turned out kind of decent though, so I decided to post them! Now I want to let them grow so I can do the top part as well.

BombshellBella

Familiar Face
They look really good! ^^

I can't seem to get them to look nice....

What brand nailpolish do you all prefer?? Opi, orly, nailtiques, revlon?

I am trying orly for the first time tonight...

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
vintage manicure video tutorial

Hi all. With all this talk of vintage manicures I was prompted to make another tutorial. You can see a short video of how I do my vintage nails here.
The accompanying article (too long winded for a post here) can be found there also.

(I tired to embed the video here for you but no success.)

Enjoy!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I found the best stuff ever for chips. It's by OPI. It's called Chip Skip. When i do my nails...which is quite often, i use it and i'm pretty chip free for about 4 days. With the work i do, that's pretty good. I always make sure when i'm ready for paint, i wipe acetone or polish remover over my nail before i start. Then chip skip, then base coat, then chip skip, then 2 coats of polish, then top coat, chip skip, top coat. Works pretty good! I use ALL OPI products:
Chip skip
Natural Nail Base Coat
then either Big Apple Red, or Vodka and Caviar
Then Top coat (it has a sparkly lid...i think it's the diamond collection or something)
I've found that if i mix products, i don't get as good result. But there is this stuff by Sally Hansen, that is like acrylic top coat or something, works not bad...but not my favorite.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
You ladies will be ashamed of me: I have a dreadful secret.

I cannot paint my nails. I just... it does not come out smooth and pretty. Particularly trying to do it left-handed. Good gracious. It's a disaster. It looks like I'm doing it for the first time, in fourth grade. I am trying to learn, though, but I can't worry about half-moons and French manicures and whatnot for aaaaages yet.

So, uh, when did solid one-color polish first come in? What about clear? Was it just red, darker red, pink, bright pink, and pale pink?

Or do I simply have to learn to do half-moons? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy