Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

spacegirlblues

New in Town
C-dot said:
Ooh, very pretty! If I lived near you, I'd insist you take me along next time you go lol

thank you!
lol The lady was difficult to work with, she kept denying the fact that I wanted the moons unpainted.

However if you do want to have it done, just have them use the airbrush french manicure stickers. For the bottom just stick two of them together with a bit of space and airbrush the moon in. Does that make sense? lol

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have a coupon for a free bottle of OPI. I already have the "Waitress" one. Are there any other fantastic, must have colors?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Wow, GREAT LINK Eliana!! Thank you. Took a quick peek as I'm on my way out to talk to another local hairstylist this morning about doing 40s style roller sets. Will peruse this in full very soon later today.

Elaina said:
Some women have always done it, some haven't. Even etiquette of the day is mixed. By the late 30s it was fairly common.

One source for it is here.

Antje

One Too Many
spacegirlblues said:
photo1bgg.jpg

I got these done today. The red is actually a dark raspberry.

Beautifull collor and super well done :eusa_clap

LadyDevereaux

New in Town
oh how wonderful.

Personally my nails are pitiful. I bite them so. I can never find artificials that i can manage with. I type on the lap top alot and it seems artificials get in the way for me.

I would love to get my nails don't vintage style though...hmm

Any suggestions??

Elaina

One Too Many
LadyDevereaux said:
oh how wonderful.

Personally my nails are pitiful. I bite them so. I can never find artificials that i can manage with. I type on the lap top alot and it seems artificials get in the way for me.

I would love to get my nails don't vintage style though...hmm

Any suggestions??

Quit. I know it's easier to say then not, but I bit my nails for 30 years, woke up one morning and stopped. That was it.

As to artificial, get them rounded in sport length, barely past the tip of the finger. You'll have to fight them a bit to get it done, and you will have to go more often to trim/redo, but they're easy to cope with when you bite them and then all of a sudden have nails.

Joonie

Familiar Face
I swear by Sally Hansen's "Hard as Nails" in "natural tint." It gives a neutral color, looks "put together," and makes my nails happy.

Joonie

Familiar Face
It also lasts a long time and is very forgiving. I simply haven't the time or patience to paint my nails more than once a week.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
I have a question...How would the Half moon look with Acrylic? I figured it would be easier to do, since you can use a brush, and can "form" the acrylic better then finger nail polish(Which I've tried and it looks horrid, when I do it.), AND it'll last longer....Also, I form the tip myself with the white powder(It's a really pure white powder..Flour colored), So if I left just a tiny bit of the tip out, and did the half moon in white...Would that look slightly weird?...Or should I use silver, or something not so white.

I hope I posted this in the right section...Thanks!

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Lollipop said:
I have a question...How would the Half moon look with Acrylic? I figured it would be easier to do, since you can use a brush, and can "form" the acrylic better then finger nail polish(Which I've tried and it looks horrid, when I do it.), AND it'll last longer....Also, I form the tip myself with the white powder(It's a really pure white powder..Flour colored), So if I left just a tiny bit of the tip out, and did the half moon in white...Would that look slightly weird?...Or should I use silver, or something not so white.

I hope I posted this in the right section...Thanks!

Dita Von Teese wears acryllics with the moon. Google pics of her and I'm sure you can find some good examples.

Inky

One Too Many
Lollipop said:
She does? I always thought it was polish..But thanks! I'll look her up and see if I can find a close up of her nails.

If you go to her twitter http://twitter.com/DitaVonTeese her background image has a good closeup of her nails. it appears that it's just a natural acrylic color. when i paint my natural nails with a moon manicure, i use an Orly ridgefiller basecoat that is a pale neutral shade (sort of milky) and get a milky colored moon.

also check these out:

http://pocketvenus.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/img736.jpg

http://pocketvenus.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/img723.jpg

http://pocketvenus.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/stripes004.jpg

http://pocketvenus.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/ingloriousbasterds006.jpg (looks very white here)

Christy

One of the Regulars
Here's a pic of a manicure I had done in February. I'm a receptionist at a salon so the nail tech there didn't think it was strange when I asked to leave the moons unpainted. I really loved it. It made me feel so feminine and I thought it looked so pretty.
VintageManicure.jpg

Edited to add: Since I don't have a moon on a couple of my fingers I just had her pretend as if I had one. She did a great job.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Those nails are the bomb (is that 'jungle red'?). Between making art and giving massage, I'll never have any kind of manicure worth photographing, so I'll leave that particular delight to the rest of you dames.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Oooh, the half-moon is my new go-to manicure! I paint my nails once a week with a nice dark color using those french manicure strips as a guide over the moon area. Once the polish is totally dry I peel off the strips, and touch up with OPI's "correct and cleanup" nail polish remover pen. I top them off with a good hardening top coat and I'm good until I get a chip, usually a week. I find that when I get air bubbles or ridges in my too-thick OPI colors, Sally Hansen's Mega Shine Extended Wear Top Coat smoothes them out so you can't even see them. I'm really in love with this look and I get a lot of compliments. People say "I've never seen that before!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner