Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage or vintage related Christmas gifts

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I didn't ask for anything vintage because it's tough to find.

I did get three books on World War II that I asked for. The one called Eating for Victory: Food Rationing and the Politics of Domesticity by Amy Bentley is shaping up to be very very interesting.

My vintage gifts to myself for finishing my grad school application are a fox fur collar, a mink hat and a faux leopard pillbox hat.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I got rather spoiled this year.

My MIL got me a vintage style Rockmount western shirt.
My Mister bought me a pair of Magnolia stockings and vintage-looking hair clips.
I received two modern books with old recipes:
Heirloom Recipes; Best-loved Recipes from Generation to Generation
and The American Century Cookbook.
My sister scored, maybe best of all, with an aluminum gravy warmer. It has a stand where a candle sits under the gravy pot to keep it warm. :D

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
I didn't do too well, didn't do too badly, thanks to my fiance.

We went to a vintage fair in November, and he bought me a beautiful pearl collar that weighs a ton but is so comfy to wear, and I told him I'll wear it on our wedding day (he proposed to me the day he bought it), and a vintage style underwear set, complete with girdle, not a flimsy suspender belt from Ann Summers, and a very old-school suspender belt; my first 6 strap so no migrating seams anymore I hope. Also, a great book of sci-fi posters with loads of international ones from the 1920s-1950s.

Other than that, my sister bought me a book of the 1950s in pictures, which has a fabulous photo of an All American housewife posing with a 6month survival kit for your fall-out shelter.
I'm so glad we can wear the pretty clothes and listen to the nice music without the fear of war like that.:rolleyes:

With my Chrissy cash and gift vouchers I bought some cute shirts in the sales, a red cardi and in M&S (not sure if they're international yet, but Marks and Spencer are a bit like a department store, but not so huge) I got a 40s looking granny dress. It's great.

NoirDame, how does your head feel under something like that, your brand new leopard skin pill box hat? Or wasn't it a Bob Dylan reference?[huh]

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Everyone has received such nice gifts! Snookie, I LOVE that watch!

I have always wanted a vintage cedar chest and this year my mom and I stumbled upon a consignment store that was going out of business. Low and behold the owner had a 1944 Lane cedar chest that she was selling. The gift was not a surprise but I didn't mind! The owner says she has the original papers that go with it but she needs to find them and send them to me.

IMG_2949.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
That chest is just like my Grandmother's, minus the ink-stain on the front! lol

What a great gift! Lucky girl!! :eusa_clap

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
There are some breathtaking gifts in this thread. Zaika, that table runner is especially lovely.

My vintage-y Christmas presents were: a two edition new set of The Commonsense Cookery Book (as compiled by the New South Wales Cookery Teachers' Association) and a 2008 diary of vintage wine posters. lol

I'm especially pleased with the cookbooks. My mother used her own editions of them in home economics lessons when she was in high school, and I always return to them for recipes that are, well, commonsense.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
This is something that I have been lusting after at the vintage shop I work at...I was NOT expecting to receive it for Christmas, so it was a lovely surprise!

RayonSkirt1.JPG

It is made of this heavenly heavy rayon twill with marvelous embroidered maracas with faces on them....and it fits perfectly! I am wearing this on NYE.

My mother gave me this...it is very precious because her dad gave it to her when she was 12, in 1956. I got weepy when I opened it and realized its significance. The purse is lovely, and then you open it to pull out the inside part, and you have space for cigarettes (or money, for me, as I don't smoke!) lipstick, a small place for powder with a puff, and a little pocket for change along with a tiny comb! I am also going to carry this on NYE. She was pretty happy when I told her I was going to USE it happily!

MomPurse1.JPG

MomPurse2.JPG

Kim_B

Practically Family
Let's see...

Hubby got me the Marilyn Monroe collection that is out of print; and his parents got me an Andrews Sisters CD set and a Patsy Cline CD set. And I bought myself the green sweater that is in the "Show Us Your Purchases" thread.

And on a non-vintage standpoint, I got a digital camera. My hubby got the Rock Band game for Christmas and it's too much fun for words...I dig that it comes with a microphone :)

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Thanks to my mom & dad, it was the year of the brooch for me. A little jointed wood and bakelite marine, and a celluloid army buddy on his original card:
47b8df20b3127cceb2b925fbc9b900000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

After those two, when the 3rd little box appeared, I said "what's this - the air corps?" But it was a wonderful metal patriotic Sonja Henie pin, and celluloid hockey sticks & skates:
47b8df20b3127cceb2b925f5c9b700000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

A big bakelite horse head:
47b8df20b3127cceb2ba8ed568be00000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

And lastly, a huge 40s floral:
47b8df20b3127cceb2bac68f68c000000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

I've been trying to wear a brooch a day since. Today, it's Sonja.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Decobelle, those are FABULOUS!!!! I particularly love the Marine one.. very nice! They are all so beautiful!

texasgirl

One Too Many
My husband gave me some great vintage/repro gifts this year. He got me these shoes from Remix! He said because I'd never buy them for myself. Oh my are they nice, they fit my foot like they were made especially for me.
savoyblktop.gif

He also gave me a great straw cloche, which has a crease down the middle like a panama? I may post a thread about it in the hat section, to see if anyone has any ideas?
6210a.jpg

And he also got me a great leather suitcase. It's round like a hat box, but a lot bigger. I need to take some pictures, its really nice

Oh and my mom got me this to do my hair!!!
SB-00204-2.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Miss 1940's said:
l_a7529335ed8e2fcd3bf69b8ae9cf7bdb.jpg

l_eeedda158368f2b30c9390b5dc0c7ceb.jpg
My mother Bought these Vintage outfits for me! at out favorite local Vintage Store called Razzle Dazzle!

WOW!!!!!!!! Lucky Lady!! very lovely indeed!

leaette

A-List Customer
Lotus Leroux said:
Everyone has received such nice gifts! Snookie, I LOVE that watch!

I have always wanted a vintage cedar chest and this year my mom and I stumbled upon a consignment store that was going out of business. Low and behold the owner had a 1944 Lane cedar chest that she was selling. The gift was not a surprise but I didn't mind! The owner says she has the original papers that go with it but she needs to find them and send them to me.

IMG_2949.jpg

oh my goodness! i have that same hope chest! it was my grandma's. my grandpa gave it to her on their wedding day (Feb 14, 1946). i was the lucky one to inherit it after her death. i keep dining room linens in it.

May I ask how much the store wanted for it? I'll never sell mine but I would like to know the ballpark what it's worth.

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Hi Leaette,

What a coincidence that you have the same cedar chest. It certainly is
nice! :) We got a great deal on mine and only paid $125.00. But when I searched on Ebay out of curiosity I saw a non-Lane cedar chest at a buy it now price of $400.00. I also recall seeing one years ago at an antiques store in California for roughly the same price. I don't recall whether that one was a Lane or not. I am not an expert on pricing these things but I can't imagine your chest is worth any less than $400.00.

Out of curiosity do you have the papers that go with yours? I wonder if that also would effect the value.

leaette

A-List Customer
thanks for the info! i don't think i have any papers on it. i know that there is a paper glued on tag on the bottom. but that's it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran