Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Pics in your vintage threads!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Older than dirt ...

Wild Root said:
Dan, if your vintage, I'm Methuselah! :p

WR.

... and if you're Methuselah, then some of the others around here (myself included) qualify as rocks. What's that noise? Was that a "big bang" I heard? :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My friend Nikki and I attended a 1940s-style burlesque show on Saturday. We had a lot of fun and dressed to the nines!

47b5ce05b3127cce94a3cd6fe46f00000005108AatmbRq2ctP

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
What is the rest?

If it's 98% vintage that would mean you were at least 50 pieces of which 49 were vintage.
After the suit, tie and shoes, what were the other 44 parts ( 43 if you the count the shoes seperately)?

Ain't I a stinker,
The Wolf

Wild Root

Gone Home
hahahhaha, oh stop it! :p You guys are funny indeed! I'm with you Shamus, I don't want to know what the 2% is!

Not to abuse my authority, but I'm throwing the switch on this spur to guide it back to the main line. ;) Hope you don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t mind.

8d13766r.jpg

More photos of you fine people in vintage or vintage inspired attire!

WR.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sorry WR, yours is a very fine suit as well. Did not mean to leave you out. I just happen to be one of those winter folks that loves the rustic look of tweed. Might I inquire about your suit though? Vintage I presume? I had seen one similar to your recently in the movie De-Lovely which L.B. Mayer was wearing in a cream on white. Very sharp. Had posted a shot with it in my Saddle Shoe thread. What is the material of yours?

Cheers!

Dan

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi! Yes, it is a tweed, though I am not sure of the name of the weave. It's a great brown and tan color. He picked it up from the expo on Saturday. I actually didn't like the suit that much, but when I saw it complete with his look on Sunday I loved it. I think he said it's from the 30's, but I'm sure he can tell you more about it!

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Actually Marc could tell you more about it but I'll do my best.

It was made for Marshall, Field & Co. which, I found out thanks to Marc, was one of the most prestigious department stores of the thirties. There are minor details about this suit that I absolutely love: The four pocket vest has a hidden stitch for a pen, and an inside pocket in the lining. The jacket itself is half lined (quite a luxury during the depression) in a gorgeous rose gold color.

Another cool thing is that all three pieces have the Marshall Field and Co label sewn into them (another small luxury)

Based on the details I'd guess it's early thirties, and a really cool early thirties at that.

but the best part is I got it for $125 and after taxes that's about $50 less than a double breasted suit from the Men's fashion Depot. ;)

The problem is the strange color combination (brown and off white) proved to be a daunting task when selecting a tie, fortunately that frayed edge striped number in the pic works perfectly.

Wild Root

Gone Home
You know Dan, there are plenty of ties that can look good with that suit! Dark green, dark brown, Heck even a nice blue tie with a hint of brown will work with it. Next time we hang out I'll show you what I mean. Cream and brown tweed was very common in the 30's! It's not common today because they were worn to death! I think when I looked in the pocket I saw a '39 on the tailor tag... not sure though but, it could be a late 30's item seeing the lapels are so wide. Could be wrong. Killer suit nevertheless!!! Wish I had one in a 42L.

My suit is vintage of course. ;) It's from the early 40's I believe and it's a worsted wool with complex broken silver and blue stirped pattern. It's a three piece as well and I love that suit. It's not as heavy as tweed but, it's no summer suit by any means. I got it with a few other suits from an antique shop that cleared out an estate. I bought two three pieces, two, two pieces (one double breasted) two double breasted coats and a few little odds and ends. The price on each suit was nothing over $25.00!

WR.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Yeah I thought that was the date as well but there's a very faint "long" after it. So it's a "39 long" however there are number 193 printed with an extremely faint "2" and my late twenties/early thirties double breasted shares the lapel cut so... regardless it's thirties and I love it.

Let me clarify my statement about the ties. I only own one tie that works with the suit, regardless I would love to see your examples in person.

And a little note about Rob's suit in that photo... when looking at it up close it has this gorgeous blue stripe woven in that sings with character!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart