Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sailor Dresses

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Inky, that dress is fantastic!

I sadly don't sew, yet. I might buy some modern patterns to give it a whirl, and then start dealing with vintage ones. Maybe I can make my own sailor dress when I learn!

ricki

Familiar Face
I love sailor dresses. I have way too many patterns and sailor shirts. Here's my favorite. It's a two piece outfit:

j1Blue50sSTwoPcSailorDrs-4.jpg

j1Blue50sSTwoPcSailorDrs-1.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
sixsexsix said:
I also have this sailor dress pattern:
n509252764_1890658_1124932.jpg

I haven't made it up....I lent it to Amy Jeane and she hasn't made it up yet either lol

What are the measurements for this? I might also ask for a copy.

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Ohmigoodness, why haven't I seen this thread yet?! lol

I have a serious love for all things nautical, and a sailor dress has been on my "dream list" (to buy or make) for years! The ones you all have posted here are sooooooooooo adorable.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
9733_131547349163_624014163_2503782_8356233_n.jpg

Not a sailor dress, but I've given this one a nautical feel. It's gonna end up on my Etsy later today -- it doesn't fit. :(

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
This is a vintage 1930s sailor dress that I recently wore for The Art Deco Society of Los Angeles' Art Deco Festival at The Queen Mary (OT; Miss Neecerie gave an excellent lecture on the Russian Influence on Art Deco Fashions during it). The interesting thing about this dress is that I suspect, it's made out of dish towels, white and blue ones, so talk about Great Depression era ingenuity. I wish I could get someone to take a pattern off of it, as it's just so 1930s.

SailorDress4.jpg

Dress, Front

SailorDress5.jpg

Front Collar Detail; the anchors are appliquéd.

SailorDress3.jpg

Back Collar Detail

SailorDress1.jpg

The dress as it looks while being worn.

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
DecoDahlia said:
This is a vintage 1930s sailor dress that I recently wore for The Art Deco Society of Los Angeles' Art Deco Festival at The Queen Mary (OT; Miss Neecerie gave an excellent lecture on the Russian Influence on Art Deco Fashions during it). The interesting thing about this dress is that I suspect, it's made out of dish towels, white and blue ones, so talk about Great Depression era ingenuity. I wish I could get someone to take a pattern off of it, as it's just so 1930s.

SailorDress4.jpg

Dress, Front

SailorDress5.jpg

Front Collar Detail; the anchors are appliquéd.

SailorDress3.jpg

Back Collar Detail

SailorDress1.jpg

The dress as it looks while being worn.

Stunning! What an amazing find. I love the big anchors and lace-up sides. So adorable...

Countess

New in Town
Oh wow! These dresses are fantastic!

I've always admired the Sailor-girl look but have never been confident enough to try it but you girls look so amazing that I'm feeling a little inspired now! :D

Parfait

New in Town
High Waist Sailor Outfit

SD1.jpg

I saw this outfit in a scene in "Yes, My Darling Daughter" and thought it was so cute, high waist pants with a sailor top!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Parfait said:
SD1.jpg

I saw this outfit in a scene in "Yes, My Darling Daughter" and thought it was so cute, high waist pants with a sailor top!

WOW! I absolutely love this. Might be the first thing I try to make when my WildGinger software arrives! I'm buzzing with excitement, I can't wait!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Everyone has SUCH cute dresses! I got a vintage 1940's/1950's sailor midday today at a vintage store and love the whole sailor look, anyone have any ideas on what to wear it with to make it look like a dress down 1940's outfit?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
NicolettaRose said:
Everyone has SUCH cute dresses! I got a vintage 1940's/1950's sailor midday today at a vintage store and love the whole sailor look, anyone have any ideas on what to wear it with to make it look like a dress down 1940's outfit?

I think a nice, plain cardigan and some espadrilles would be cute :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran