Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Vogue 7464 !!

Nettie

New in Town
Hi all - this is my first time here so be kind!
I am trying to finish Vogue 7464 b - yes the fab green one - and I'm sure some of you must have had a go..... I've seen lots of info on the internet - but I still can't finish mine and what is that frill bit at the back all about??? I contacted Vogue who said pretty much make it up as you like. Please help :(

Nettie

New in Town
Oh I feel a bit of a twit as I've found a whole load of info on this hat on: "Making your own vintage inspired hats" which is great (but still not convinced about the back). I have made the view C (the tartan one) which is lovely but may well donate my attempts at view B to my scraps box!! I am still cross about the lack of info on the pattern etc, , and you ladies are all competent sewers ........ shall I stop my rant now?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I made that a while ago and it's near impossible to work it out from the pics or the diagrams. There was a thread a while ago where a few of us discussed this pattern and someone, I can't remember who, posted pics of it which helped a lot. I'll try to remember.

Nettie

New in Town
Thank you for your help - I'm not a fool with sewing and I make loads of hats but this one was a 'one off' ! May be I'll give it another go.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Nettie, it was Isis who made the same hat as me. If I can work out how to post pics and have some time I'll post some of mine. The instructions are pretty poor and without a picture it's very hard to figure out how it goes together - it's like origami!

I made it out of the only felt I could get, which was nasty cheap stuff that I had to stiffen with spray. BYW - DON'T do what I did and spray over the bath -I ruined my new bath doing that!

The hat is now pretty crispy and battered looking (like an old cod!), but still gets loads of compliment because it's such an unusual shape. The frill is a bit daft I think though, you might think about leaving it off.

Nettie

New in Town
Some pictures would be grand. I certainly think the right felt is half the problem I used craft felt with NO substance to it at all, but I can only get good quality 100% wool felt on line or maybe a trip to London but will try that a go.

I wonder if there is the original picture for that hat in the vogue archives? I like it when the new 'reproduced' patterns show the old envelope covers /pictures and the modern image, as it gives me a better feel for the item.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
That's the only felt I could get, hence the spray! And the spray makes it go all crispy! Proper felt is extremely expensive unfortunately, and not that easy to source. That said, my hat looks ace - from a distance, it just feels like cardboard. The only consolation is that if it was a make do and mend project 70 years ago it'd probably be equally shoddy!

Nettie

New in Town
Well that's always the question.... do you make something that looks new and perfectly made or do you try to give it some age ? I suspect that a new hat purchased before the war was a little worse for wear after, so maybe a bit of both.

I make 1940's accessories hats, gloves etc. to sell and use vintage patterns , methods, trims and fabrics - when I can get it, but I haven't been replicate that wonderful evocative vintage smell ! I love true vintage but it depends on the look you're after and your reasons for wearing vintage, I suppose.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Oh, I wanted something that looked new and well made, it's just had a lot of wear and tear since! The combination of cheap stiffened felt and hat pins have given it a slightly swiss-cheese look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn