Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageGoth?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Mario said:
One of the most vivid memories I have of that time is Nick Cave. I met him a lot (never talked, just marvelled at him) in the Kreuzberg subway, and he would sit there, slumped, pale, dressed in black (of course), with a long coat - and always, always with his sketchbook and a ballpen, looking mightily dazed out. Sometimes Blixa Bargeld would be with him, too. Well, that was a long time ago...

I love The Birthday Party. They just get better with every listen.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I luv goth. I'm not, I'd call myself a pink goth LOL. Like, I love it, wear alot of black, have a secret like for the bad guys, think a guy in a trench coat and tripp pants is dead sexy, love vampires and most things morbid and morose, (morbid has been my favorite word since I learned it) and have a secret desire for my own tripp pants.

However, I'm too....me...to get away with it. I'd wear tripp pants, heck yea! But I'd wear them with a pink polo, just because that's how I am.

(tripp pants are these http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/tripp_green_tube_chain_pants.jpg because I find most people don't use that term for them)

lunchtable.jpg

This happens to me alot. lol. Homecoming I inadvertently scared my friends half to death. The guy I went with wore tripp pants, black button down, and a white tie, and his full length trench coat with chains and all. I wore black tights, shoes, and dress, and heavy makeup. I was cold, so he lent me his shorter coat, as long as my dress, complete with skull buttons. We were the only goth ones there. lol

I love it soo much, but I'm more of, a theatre nerd/hippy without drugs and free love/self proclaimed social outcast.

This past Halloween though, I went all out.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1553449&l=bbdbf131c2&id=640721797
Everyone else didn't dress up at all, and had forgotten the date, Everyone just thought I'd finally gone off the deep end. lol

I definately have a thing for goth guys though.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/GRAVEROPPER.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/Graverobbekiss1.jpg
If only I could get one without facial piercings.

I'm perfectly ok with Hot Topic goths.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ada Veen said:
I love The Birthday Party. They just get better with every listen.

Yeah, young Nick. Great stuff. There are some nice BP clips on the tube, even one or two interviews from that time. Nick and his music have been with me ever since the 80s, and I'm pretty sure they'll never desert me.

BTW: Anybody here who knows (and loves) the Virgin Prunes? They were a really bizarre Dublin bunch...proto-goth, even though they would themselves not like that term...definitely not anybody's cup of tea...but...well...gosh!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgoJn5SUa_4&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgoJn5SUa_4&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IimsciWwHHk&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IimsciWwHHk&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Virgin Prunes

that second track sounds like Adam and the Ants! Who are of course, pretty vintage inspired...

adam_and_the_ants_1.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Mario said:
Well, yes...seems you missed that weird time by a heartbeat or two... One of the most vivid memories I have of that time is Nick Cave. I met him a lot (never talked, just marvelled at him) in the Kreuzberg subway, and he would sit there, slumped, pale, dressed in black (of course), with a long coat - and always, always with his sketchbook and a ballpen, looking mightily dazed out. Sometimes Blixa Bargeld would be with him, too. Well, that was a long time ago...

No way! How amazingly lucky you are! He was pretty drugged out while he was in Berlin, and for the following 15 years. Look at this Saint Huck performance - he was so introverted, so (Unacceptable language removed -HJ) up. When he performs today (off drugs, I'm pretty sure) he's always interacting with the audience and always wide awake. I'm a huge fan...

Anyway, back to goth! :D

Edward

Bartender
Ada Veen said:
that second track sounds like Adam and the Ants! Who are of course, pretty vintage inspired...

adam_and_the_ants_1.jpg

Heh. I remember reading an interview with one of that band a few years back, wherein he talked about the clothes. Apparently they were deadly serious about those outfits, and went to great lengths to get them largely historically correct (remind you of anyone? lol ). He said they used to be really angry when people just thought it was all a camp laugh, "panto clothes".... Heh.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Ada Veen said:

adam_and_the_ants_1.jpg

Ahh Cool......my mate Dave was one of the ugly sisters..:) and the passenger with the headphones on in the Stand and Deliver vid.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Edward said:
Heh. I remember reading an interview with one of that band a few years back, wherein he talked about the clothes. Apparently they were deadly serious about those outfits, and went to great lengths to get them largely historically correct (remind you of anyone? lol ). He said they used to be really angry when people just thought it was all a camp laugh, "panto clothes".... Heh.

Yep your so right!..There was a lot of though gone into his costume.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Eyemo said:
Ahh Cool......my mate Dave was one of the ugly sisters..:) and the passenger with the headphones on in the Stand and Deliver vid.

My dad's wife used to date one of the drummers - before they were married, of course ;)

That's so cool, about the effort for historical accuracy. Not sure how accurate the white stripe is though!

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
I am all over all this ant talk. My friends and I are having a New Romantic themed party. "The 80s" is just too broad.

Aorta

Familiar Face
I have to join this thread... not that I had ever been a goth (of course not). You see, I've internalized the first rule perfectly.

indie1010

New in Town
I wasn't technically straight out of "goth", but it was more like an upgrade, starting with goth, then hippie/metalhead (kind of an oxymoron!), indie kid (thick black glasses, flannel, fauxhawk and t-shirts) and now I'm kind of progressing into a more vintage style. Granted, I've only got about 4 ties, and 2 button downs, but I'm working on getting a pair of oxfords and a pair of trousers!

BTW, I'm vegan if anybody is curious. So those oxfords will have to be new, and synthetic.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eyemo said:

Oh man, this is way cool. I've been a huge Ant fan since I first heard him at the age of 12. I loved the creativity of that time in music.

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Vintage Gothic...

I came across this thread looking for "morning coat"!!!!

Quote "...if you've really got the Goth Gene, it's with you for life, and then some."

I resemble that remark!

I was into vintage before I associated as gothic.

I HAD to dig out some pictures. It was the best I could do at the time, as no money=no clothing.

This dress I still have(?), it was an 80's take on the 40's. The cardigan I lifted from my father, recently found an image of him in it!

3837117179_1b83a4658f.jpg

Sadly sold these on etsy, as they never fit in the first place.

3837103561_ee9fd4eb4f.jpg

I would never wear symmetrical earrings again.

3837108271_17a5a53a73.jpg

My eye makeup was based on this image.

3446754078_23ca33c2c7.jpg

I probably spent too much time inside and alone, as a youth. Too much listening to old 45's, looking at the Best Of LIFE photographs.

Quote: "The Goth Scene is a very cliquish, elitist, exclusionary group."

That's why I refuse to associate with any genre today, and instead collect clothing and costumes.

I'd rather be a chameleon with good manners.

Though I can still play the "Did you see what she was wearing???
It's not very Goth to __________..." game!! :(

LadyDevereaux

New in Town
I started out as a goth and i still hold dear to my gothic fashion love. As I got older, I fell in love with victorian and it progressed to where I am now Rockabilly/PsychoBilly depending on what my mood is. I don't define myself as a certain label, or term, because I reinvent myself daily but I AM eclectic! lol

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
I always have done my own thing. I transcended labels. I might wear goth one day, vintage the next, grunge the day after, mix of all usually.

Even today I don't care to follow what everyone else does...no matter the label placed on them.
I'm the same! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183