Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanna 1920s/'30s-style Newsboy Cap? Have One Made!

Mike1973

A-List Customer
One more for reference

Last example from me for now, this is one of the pair of work caps. Very flimsy and lightweight. Sitting on a girder on a skyscraper construction site springs to mind...

ebaycaps4043.jpg

ebaycaps4042.jpg

ebaycaps4032.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Out of interest, what is used in the peaks of caps as a stiffener? On the job lot of vintage caps I bought whatever was in the peaks has turned to powder? I'm guessing starched buckram was used? What would make it break down so much? Damp storage? Some sort of bug? Curious because the material is all OK.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Mike1973 said:
Out of interest, what is used in the peaks of caps as a stiffener? On the job lot of vintage caps I bought whatever was in the peaks has turned to powder? I'm guessing starched buckram was used? What would make it break down so much? Damp storage? Some sort of bug? Curious because the material is all OK.

IMG_3527.jpg

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Awesome caps, I've always loved the style of the caps, theres something that just says 20s-30s thats so quintessential about the fabric, shape, everything! I need to get a cap like this. Badly.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I picked up my custom cap today and I'm generally pleased with it. I will take some pictures tomorrow in natural light so you can get all of the detail and accurate colors. Sorry to keep you waiting, but it's just a little too dark for pictures now.
Cheers!

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Oh yeah. Wow. I haven't been to the lounge in a long time but we were just talking about similar caps over at Badger and Blade. I have a couple of B!Wear caps and they are very well made and I have no complaints about them at all. They just don't lay like I want. The vintage caps shown by the OP in this thread are just exactly what I would look for in a newsboy. If you watch the old Benny Hill reruns, he wore these caps a lot. I have scoured the net trying to find a pattern or maker for these. No real luck so far. I also like the caps Mike1973 has. This is how I was hoping I could drape the bwear caps but it is not to be. I look like Dave Lennox in mine and well...that is how they are made. I wonder if head size and shape makes a difference with these? I'm a 7-1/2 long oval. Anyroad, I love flat panel and eight panel caps if I can get them to lay somewhat flat in the front and drape toward the brim or at least taper toward the snap on the brim if they pull away from it a bit. You guys really have me lusting for some of these now. As others have mentioned, fat chance of finding a vintage model in the larger sizes.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Thanks Marc! Those are incredible caps. I do wish we had a milliner who would make these up along with the Irish/ivy/driving or whatever you want to call it style of cap. I love the things.

Regards, Todd

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Just picked up a few sweet deadstock 30s caps. Here are some pics. I plan to take some pics, measurements, and traces of shape. What I notice about them is that they are not round at all. They are quite oval with the length side to side. This is what gives vintage their distinct floppyness I think.

I notice one says all wool and the other says 50% wool, 50% rayon, so I do not think they are referring to the lining with the rayon.

Made by Malrov Caps. Pretty sweet.

Picture1472.jpg

Picture1485.jpg

Picture1493.jpg

Picture1497.jpg

Picture1499.jpg

Picture1501.jpg

Picture1507.jpg

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Great looking caps! I think you may be onto something with the shape of the caps. And I think the more you have a long oval noggin like me, the more it affects the fit. I have been keeping an eye on the vintage stores around here but sizes larger than 7 come up so rarely I can count them on one hand locally. My best grab was a Hanly, Irish wool driving cap. 62cm diameter which is pretty close to my 7-1/2 or so sized head. $2.50 I think it was.

Regards, Todd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner