Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was this hat made in Montecristi?

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Unsure as to the provenance of this hat...

Where, in your opinion, was it made? Please note the inscriptions on the sweatband.

Thanks,

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP0051.jpg

OddSteve

Familiar Face
I bought a hat exactly like that on ebay. It makes a great beater hat that you don't have to baby.
No idea if it's really from Montecristi, but I hope you didn't pay more than about 35 USD for it.

Neil

A-List Customer
I dunno . . . .

Looks Cuenca-ish to me, with the chemical-blasted white color.
Maybe not. I'm no expert.
I wouldn't pay too much for it, though.

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Neil said:
Looks Cuenca-ish to me, with the chemical-blasted white color.
Maybe not. I'm no expert.
I wouldn't pay too much for it, though.

Picked it up for a cool $15 at the Quito, Ecuador airport.

Looks better in person than in the pictures, and isn't as white as the top photo suggests. That pic was taken in direct sunlight (edit: not directly on the hat, as can be seen; the photo was worked a bit afterwards, in any case the front brim of the hat was hit by some sunlight and almost whited out). It's a bit creamier than the photo.

Looks ok in any case.

Thanks for your honest opinion.

Fedoraphile

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Panamabob said:
Cuenca Brisa. $10.00 isn't a bad price inside Ecuador. It looks like a full 15+ day bleach.

Tourist quality! Hee hee, inside joke, nothing more.

Yeppers, tourist quality is a fair description of it.

With the finer weave hats at the airport going for $60-70 but not looking all that much better than this one, it's easy to see why I sprung for it.

One of these days, perhaps I'll go the route of a much nicer hat, from you, of course.

Could you please say at what WPI count you'd suggest I would be particularly happy? I know that's an unfair question in a certain sense, but now that you've seen a hat that I like and that is pretty coarse, what might I get from you in the $100 range? Please feel free to send me a PM on this if you wish. If you could in the pm place a link to something you have available in that range, I'd be most appreciative...

Thanks,

Fedoraphile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy