Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Mr. Redshoes. When I get around to dealing with the pinches, I’ll post a new photo. Alas, someone has thrown out my tea-kettle, so I’ll need another source of steam.

I'm a sucker for hats like that one! Gorgeous!! I've been using a soup kettle for steam lately!! LMBO!!!

I would love to see photos!!

~shoes~

Willebe

A-List Customer
Here's to DD, Bob & me ;>)

2yo8myd.jpg
That is definitely a labor of love there to keep that beard groomed and looking nice. Something to keep working for.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Score!!! What a find!

Seriously ... wow! Congrats!

:rolleyes: WHOA ! What Amazing Fortune . My size also . M you must be living right o_O . Unbelievable :) Congratulations ;) Wear it in Good Health !

Thanks everyone.......and YES....this is a special hat.....I feel privileged to have found it!!! The felt is quite awesome , and that color (which is what I would call a true silver-belly, NO coloring/bleaching, it has a very slight heathered look with faint brown and grey throughout) is fantastic.
You just never know what those little antique shops will turn up. Yes, indeed.....a really cool find! And this hat will see some wearing.....probably with a nice summer or light colored suit or at the least, a sport-coat! It deserves it!!!!!!!
Cheers,
M

Ok, in another shop.....my wife says "there is an old Stetson box up there".....I look up and sure enough it looks like a cool 50's western box.....really cool graphics.........I wonder if the insert is in it and how much?
View attachment 88753 View attachment 88754 View attachment 88755
First picture shows the true color.........
Now back to the story..........My thoughts must have been said out loud because the owner of the shop says the magic words......" it has a hat in it".......so now my thoughts (as I clear the plastic mustang, one of the large cool battery models the dealerships gave out) OFF of the now possibly precious Stetson box.....ok...so there is a hat....probebly a woman's hat.....or some cheap 70's stingy brim....or.....
Then the shop owner comes over to help get the box down and open it.....then with the lid off.....the light and angels emanate from the now open box!!!!
View attachment 88756
Inside is a (mid-fifties?) 3X Beaver Quality, bound brim 6 cord ribbon STETSON Western hat. In addition it is 7 5/8!!!!!!!!!!!! It also has what appears to be an original sterling longhorn/horseshoe pin (now did Stetson use these?).
Needless to say I am wearing it as I write this, as it did come home with me.........
Here are the details: 3 3/8 bound brim, crown bashed as found, front 4 1/2 at center dent, sides 5 3/8, open crown is about 6". Six cord ribbon is just over 1/2", and the sweat is 2". Liner has the full embroidered "Last Drop" logo with XXX and Stetson underneath. It has the oilskin tip protector (not the later clear plastic) and the onionskin protector behind the sweat. This hat has been worn.....but not much, not much at all. It is in really great shape.......must have been worn only for those very special occasions.....and then returned to its box. Enjoy the pictures of this nice hat while I have fun wearing it!
Cheers,
M
View attachment 88758 View attachment 88759 View attachment 88760 View attachment 88763 View attachment 88764 View attachment 88765
What you have there is a Longhorn model, thus the little longhorn pin on the side. I have one in a cream, with a smaller brim, it's a Longhorn, Jr.

What you have there is a Longhorn model, thus the little longhorn pin on the side. I have one in a cream, with a smaller brim, it's a Longhorn, Jr.
WOW....THANK YOU!!!!! It is great to know the model and that the pin is a Stetson one that came with the hat!!!! it did look like that pin was always there.....again..THANKS for the info.....now to hunt down some ads that show it......;)
M
PS This place sure is great for the wealth of information that turns up!!!!!!

WOW....THANK YOU!!!!! It is great to know the model and that the pin is a Stetson one that came with the hat!!!! it did look like that pin was always there.....again..THANKS for the info.....now to hunt down some ads that show it......;)
M
PS This place sure is great for the wealth of information that turns up!!!!!!
A member named Carouselvic has posted some old Stetson hat ads, that's where these models can be found.

Another great one! That color is so nice, with the perfect ribbon. Love that crease and rolled brim.

Spectacular Jack.
Thank you guys. The color charcoal is just a shade darker than it appears in these pics. In a more yellowish incandescent light it can take on some brown undertones. Versions of the Tom Horn have been a longtime favorite of mine, & probably always will be.

PS: I originally ordered this from Ritch as a Conagher but didn't like the way it looked on me, so changed it to a dressier Tom Horn. I just checked the date code & that was in 11/92.

Last edited:

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Lefty, I do like your hat without the pinches. It has the block to look like an early crossover Western dress hat. I've done this Woomera in a similar fashion. These are file pics but I'll unbox it soon.

IMG_9711.jpg
Thanks, HJ. Nice hat there.
At the risk of being in the wrong thread, my inspiration for the center-dent Western hat is roughly from a particular hat worn by one William F. Gibbons, of the group ZZ Top.

ZZ-Fandango-cover.jpg

ZZ-Fandango-back.jpg

I was told the original was a mink blend, from Gary's American Hat Company in Houston, TX.

Last edited:

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1987 Rand in 10X chocolate. For me this hat took over for my early Stetson Gun Club. 3-1/4" brim with 3 cord ribbon & binding. It has seen a lot of headtime & could probably use a bath, but it is holding up pretty well.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg
Another great hat with lots of character! Nice diamond with rear dents.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21