Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Are you just steaming the curl or are you touching the iron to the hat? And if touching, are you backing up the curl with anything (between the hat and the iron). I think I'm going to need pictures or a video...

Or is it something like this?

1ec5bda00c609114eb74ba6c7b78e484.jpg

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
Are you just steaming the curl or are you touching the iron to the hat? And if touching, are you backing up the curl with anything (between the hat and the iron). I think I'm going to need pictures or a video...
You are ironing the brim by pushing the iron down on the curl. I'll take a photo when I get home.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
DD, give me some guidance here on your pot method of curling. I have the hat sitting upright on a microwave carousal plate with my stockpot over top. Everything is sitting on a styrofoam cooler just to bring it up to where I can work from a chair. Since the pot is smaller than the brim I will have to move the pot around the brim edge maintaining the radius I want. If I want more curl on the sides I start with more margin from the edge? I will be using hot water from a small boiler on the brim margins only. When I did my Woomera with a smaller curl I curled around a piece of rope. Any recommendations or instructions are welcomed.

View attachment 114988

View attachment 114989

View attachment 114990

View attachment 114991
Jack I recently bought this tool from Mark DeCou and used it on the this hat. It gives a small curl. You probably want more curl than this would give you, but if you want I could mail this to you to borrow if you wish.

Attachments

• P4190003.JPG
    P4190003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 134
  • P4190004.JPG
    P4190004.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
  • P3220047.JPG
    P3220047.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Jack I recently bought this tool from Mike DeCou and used it on the this hat. It gives a small curl. You probably want more curl than this would give you, but if you want I could mail this to you to borrow if you wish.

Those are expensive , I think the 3/4" Curl is for Kettle Curl . Those are Really Nice @Cornshucker77

Jack I recently bought this tool from Mark DeCou and used it on the this hat. It gives a small curl. You probably want more curl than this would give you, but if you want I could mail this to you to borrow if you wish.
Thank you for the kind offer Scott, & if I had more than one hat I wanted to do now I would take you up on it. But I hate to risk it being damaged or lost in the mail for just one hat. Very generous offer on your part though. I haven't had enough time to spend trying either the pot or ironing method. Maybe over the weekend. But thanks again for the offer!

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the kind offer Scott, & if I had more than one hat I wanted to do now I would take you up on it. But I hate to risk it being damaged or lost in the mail for just one hat. Very generous offer on your part though. I haven't had enough time to spend trying either the pot or ironing method. Maybe over the weekend. But thanks again for the offer!
If you change your mind let me know.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
This is my stockpot for making Chili, jambalaya, gumbo, & vegetable beef soup in.
OK Jack I have serious question for you. What's the difference between Jambalaya and Gumbo. I found a recipe online and made my first batch of Jambalaya couple weeks ago. Turned out well enough I am going to make it again sometime. But I haven't tried Gumbo.

OK Jack I have serious question for you. What's the difference between Jambalaya and Gumbo. I found a recipe online and made my first batch of Jambalaya couple weeks ago. Turned out well enough I am going to make it again sometime. But I haven't tried Gumbo.
There are probably a million different recipes on making it. The major differences between the two are going to be the seafood, the dark roux & the spicy Creole tomato paste & sauce.

Gumbo is made with Andouille sausage, a mix of fresh seafood, & dirty rice in a dark spicy roux. Some people substitute chicken instead of seafood especially if a variety of fresh seafood isn't available where you live (I often sub). The roux is a dark brown thick gravy.

Jambalaya is made with Andouille sausage, beef tenderloin & Tasso pork, dirty rice, & a spicy creole tomato sauce or paste. I usually add diced celery, carrots & onions.

That's the basics. Just like making Chili you let them simmer for hrs & they get better with time.

glider

A-List Customer
My Jambalaya has andouille, Tasso, chicken and shrimp in it. I've had crab gumbo in New Orleans that was really good. I really like red beans and rice also but for some reason I've never made it. My wife and I have gone to New Orleans just to eat . Last time we went we were disappointed with the French Quarter, not like it was before Katrina. We decided we really didn't care if we ever went back to the French Quarter but the food is still worth the trip to New Orleans. The World War II museum is worth the trip by itself, may be the best museum we have ever been to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy