Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Still really liking that Western Portis. That has to be a rare hat!

Thanks, HJ. I've not been able to find much on Portis westerns except for some OR clones and I've gone through everything Portis on this site that I could find. Dinerman had this posted in his blog.

https://vintagehaberdashers.com/2012/06/28/portis-15-cowboy-hat/

I did find an old eBay listing and this was the only photo.
image.jpeg

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, HJ. I've not been able to find much on Portis westerns except for some OR clones and I've gone through everything Portis on this site that I could find. Dinerman had this posted in his blog.

https://vintagehaberdashers.com/2012/06/28/portis-15-cowboy-hat/

I did find an old eBay listing and this was the only photo.
View attachment 115245
I think the color of yours makes it even more rare. It is the best looking green that I have seen on a western.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dinerman had this posted in his blog.
I have seen the one from his Blog before but had forgotten about it. Never saw the eBay listing before. It had the original box, looks like.

I think the color of yours makes it even more rare.
And the crown height! Very nice hat with everything going for it, except it was too small for me.

I think the color of yours makes it even more rare. It is the best looking green that I have seen on a western.
I have seen the one from his Blog before but had forgotten about it. Never saw the eBay listing before. It had the original box, looks like.

And the crown height! Very nice hat with everything going for it, except it was too small for me.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can't believe I was once so reluctant to buy it.

Looks great to me. I can vacuum my black ones before a photo and by the time I take a pic they're dusty. Same with the Portis.
I've vacuumed & I've brushed it a lot lately. Looks good to the eye but the lens picks it up. Maybe it's the exposure, I don't know. I've had this hat since new, abt 1989 or so. It's been worn a lot; in rain storms, on jobsites, road trips & a few plane rides. I may get some new hat sponges ordered & give it a steam cleaning.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
I'm not Jack obviously but, gumbo is more like soup, really thick soup with a dollup of rice in the center. Good stuff.
There are probably a million different recipes on making it. The major differences between the two are going to be the seafood, the dark roux & the spicy Creole tomato paste & sauce.

Gumbo is made with Andouille sausage, a mix of fresh seafood, & dirty rice in a dark spicy roux. Some people substitute chicken instead of seafood especially if a variety of fresh seafood isn't available where you live (I often sub). The roux is a dark brown thick gravy.

Jambalaya is made with Andouille sausage, beef tenderloin & Tasso pork, dirty rice, & a spicy creole tomato sauce or paste. I usually add diced celery, carrots & onions.

That's the basics. Just like making Chili you let them simmer for hrs & they get better with time.
My Jambalaya has andouille, Tasso, chicken and shrimp in it. I've had crab gumbo in New Orleans that was really good. I really like red beans and rice also but for some reason I've never made it. My wife and I have gone to New Orleans just to eat . Last time we went we were disappointed with the French Quarter, not like it was before Katrina. We decided we really didn't care if we ever went back to the French Quarter but the food is still worth the trip to New Orleans. The World War II museum is worth the trip by itself, may be the best museum we have ever been to.
Thanks guys. It is good stuff wish I would have tried it sooner. :)

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
My Jambalaya has andouille, Tasso, chicken and shrimp in it. I've had crab gumbo in New Orleans that was really good. I really like red beans and rice also but for some reason I've never made it. My wife and I have gone to New Orleans just to eat . Last time we went we were disappointed with the French Quarter, not like it was before Katrina. We decided we really didn't care if we ever went back to the French Quarter but the food is still worth the trip to New Orleans. The World War II museum is worth the trip by itself, may be the best museum we have ever been to.
I would like to see that museum.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I can't be much help with the pot. I just do my curls by hand. Make the edge of the brim wet and start working in the curl I want. Takes time but it has worked well. I hope DD chimes in on this.
Your brim curl looks great Scott! Much better than I ever achieved by hand. A few years ago I popped for the cast iron curling shackles from JW Hats. Not cheap at $300 for the set of three, but when you take one off the hotplate, put it to the brim, and hear that sizzle on the damp ironing cloth you just have to know it's doing the job it's supposed to do. I did my brim curls for a long time by hand with a length of plastic tubing with acceptable, but not stellar results. I'm just now finding some time to practice a bit with these irons and there is definitely a bit of a learning curve, but so far I am very pleased with the results.
Pencil Curl Hat Brim 007.JPG

Your brim curl looks great Scott! Much better than I ever achieved by hand. A few years ago I popped for the cast iron curling shackles from JW Hats. Not cheap at $300 for the set of three, but when you take one off the hotplate, put it to the brim, and hear that sizzle on the damp ironing cloth you just have to know it's doing the job it's supposed to do. I did my brim curls for a long time by hand with a length of plastic tubing with acceptable, but not stellar results. I'm just now finding some time to practice a bit with these irons and there is definitely a bit of a learning curve, but so far I am very pleased with the results.
View attachment 115393
I think it looks real good Shoes (I always want to call you Famous Shoes from the book/mini series). My attempt with setting the radius with the pot, then ironing the curl on over didn't work so well. So I've ironed the brim back flat. I'll have to think more on it. I've used a 6-8" length of 5/16" rope before, probably similar to your tubing method.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 115393
Thanks Rick. Yours looks great. Looks like its working well for you.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I think it looks real good Shoes (I always want to call you Famous Shoes from the book/mini series). My attempt with setting the radius with the pot, then ironing the curl on over didn't work so well. So I've ironed the brim back flat. I'll have to think more on it. I've used a 6-8" length of 5/16" rope before, probably similar to your tubing method.
Thanks Hurricane. From the outset of my hat making endeavors I've tried to make the tools I need to get the job done. I descend from Kansas pioneer stock on both sides of the family and those sturdy folks generally either made it or made due without it. I'm getting lazier in my old age though. Show me a tool that will allow me to achieve better (for me) results in a quarter of the time and I'm writing the damn check.

I don’t know how Desert Dog gets his results with the pot method. I’ve given it a try a couple of times and I have not been at all satisfied with the results. I might give the rope method a try. I’m also seriously thinking of having Rick make me one...his photos looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner