Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Wear

kiltie

Practically Family
Edward said:
...folks running about with the Conferderate Battle Flag and no appreciation of its historical significance...

Easy, Edward ;) . The cultural significance is still very divisive here is the States, particularly between the Southern born and bred and the ( less informed ;) ) rest of the country.

That said ( cautiously stepping back into full view ), I've recently likened the Western get up to, for lack of a better term, the "metrosexual" mindset. A goodly portion of my senior relatives have always dressed "Western", in that they wore (wear) starched shirts with scalloped pockets and pearl snaps and boots, with the occasional hat. It alway struck me as country because they lived in the sticks. In the city, however, the Western look is often so contrived that it would simply be impractical for a real cowboy to dress like that; far more influenced by modern Music Row and it's loathesome ilk than by working cowboys ( save for the more high profile rodeo scene - some of the cowboys look more flamboyant than the clowns ).
Working downtown, I often pass by both the county and municiple courts. A lot of what I take to be lawyers sport suits ( both traditional and what you'd consider western cut - with piping and scalloped yoke, etc...) with cowboy boots and, as often as not, hats - ranging from the Open Road to the C&W monstrosities as seen on TV. I assume this is a costume assembled to give one a sense that they're good ol' boys, fresh out of the field or stable, there to help you. And to be honest, in San Antonio, it's probably a bit more genuine than say, Houston or Dallas, where they want desperately to be cosmopolitan. For some reason, that look, in those cities, positively reeks of "politician". Not necessarily of the "running for office" variety, but just a weasel [huh] . Needless to say, this is just a casual observation, and our own member Suitedcowboy might tend to disagree.
When I was in highschool, we called the western crowd "kickers", shortened from "s**tkickers". It was a clique like any other, with only the relatively smallest number actually working on or towards something of an agricultural or relative pursuit.
Now, I think most Texans who would care to make a comment on the matter would easily be able to tell you who's the "real deal" and who's playing Urban Cowboy. For me, one of the big tell tales has always been the pants: real cowboy's pants are almost always a little too long in the legs. And real cowboys don't roll up their sleeves ( sweeping generalizations, by the way ). Oddly enough, the Country-pop scene is so freaking huge that when you go to the big C&W clubs, you're as likely to see people in hoodies and saggypants as a Stetson. A cheap drink is a cheap drink, I suppose.
Finally, Texans are so proud of being Texans that the music scene is sort of a touchstone, in that you always come back to it if you're "for real" and want to be a part of it if you're not.* So there's a lot of different folks with a lot of different styles at the bona fide dancehalls: cowboys, bikers, bums, urbanites, etc... I don't get a second look in a bowtie and fedora, so that must be my western costume.
What did I start to say? Oh, yeah - so here in Texas, it's sort of an ID badge, with subtle subtexts attatched to each (western type) outfit. None particularly calls attention to itself but rather, to me, it tends to classify a person.

* and I'm talking about REAL music: seeing Willie at Floore's Country Store, Two Ton Tuesdays at Gruene Hall ( or any band at Gruene Hall ), etc...

Edward

Bartender
kiltie said:
Easy, Edward ;) . The cultural significance is still very divisive here is the States, particularly between the Southern born and bred and the ( less informed ;) ) rest of the country.

Precisely my point.... the Confederate Battle Flag is a controversial symbol which has very different meanings ascribed to it by a number of people. For some middle aged women in Larne, County Antrim, to wave it around with neither appreciation of what it meant historically nor the ongoing controversy over its use, well... it just strikes me as rather ignorant. I should think that's something both 'sides' of the line on the flag's use could agree with.

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
kiltie said:
I've recently likened the Western get up to, for lack of a better term, the "metrosexual" mindset.

Ouch! I've always likened metrosexuals to be obsessed with contemporary fashion. To date, I have not seen people who dress western obsessed with with western fashions, but hey maybe you have.

kiltie said:
Working downtown, I often pass by both the county and municiple courts. A lot of what I take to be lawyers sport suits ( both traditional and what you'd consider western cut - with piping and scalloped yoke, etc...) with cowboy boots and, as often as not, hats - ranging from the Open Road to the C&W monstrosities as seen on TV.

I have seen C&W monstrosities in Virginia, but never in Texas. But I have only visited San Antonio and Austin, so I'll take your word for it. Personally, I thought the people I saw in Texas looked "cool," even if they were all hat and no cattle. Western hats and boots have transgressed cowboy attire, just as Fedoras have transgressed suits.

Does anyone have photos on non-garish western outfits to share?

kiltie

Practically Family
DapperDuck said:
Ouch! I've always likened metrosexuals to be obsessed with contemporary fashion. To date, I have not seen people who dress western obsessed with with western fashions, but hey maybe you have.

Duck: I was painting with broad strokes. The "metro" comparison is pointed at the folks who are ritualistic about their get-ups, not western wear in general. That goes for any style of dress. I maybe shoulda said...foppish? But that brings to mind dandy clothes [huh] . In any event...contrived. But contrived in a very precise way. Any better said that way?
I certainly agree with the last bit you wrote as well, and I have to admit: the big hat is a little less popular in town these days. Again: broad strokes.
I didn't mean to begrudge anyone their fashion choices, just trying to illustrate how a person can be pigeon-holed by a mode of dress. Everyone judges: I just wrote it down :p .

Edward: I'm pulling your leg ( but only a little bit ).

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
In the small town where I grew up, cowboy boots, hats, and belts were quite common. Only a few attorneys and bankers seemed to dress differently, and they stood out for it.
Here in the city, western isn't seen so much, except in certain pockets of town; down in Stockyards City of course, and in the neighborhoods settled by Mexicans, the cowboy look isn't unusual. When I see a 'cowboy' here in the 'hood or downtown, my first thought is "he's come from out of town".

I have fond childhood memories of being in airports with my folks, dad wearing his v-trimmed, Western suit, hat, and polished boots, and suddenly noticing how he contrasted with the rest of the travelers. Back home I never paid much attention, but out in the 'real world' I realized, "my dad is Marshall McCloud!" ;)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
bburtner@moran said:
I was looking at some of the "riding gear picks" most of them are English,a bit snooty I must say...

To counter your charge of snobbishness...bear in mind that western wear, real western wear, as opposed to being a duded up Urban Cowboy, is work wear. The clothes have evolved to do a certain job, well. Working cattle. Same goes for English riding.

Dressing for the Hunt.
http://www.horsegirltv.com/blog/?p=514
Why do fox hunters wear a stock tie? Why those brick colored breeches in Virginia?

When you understand the history behind it, it's not snobbish. There is a practical aspect to it.

Also, keep in mind that people would dress for the Hunt, to show respect for the land owners, who's property they are using. Something that is lacking these days, when people don't want to wear a tie for a job interview.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Here ya go then. Authentic western wear, circa. 1970.

4197262893_1208c6bf15.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kiltie said:
That said ( cautiously stepping back into full view ), I've recently likened the Western get up to, for lack of a better term, the "metrosexual" mindset. In the city, however, the Western look is often so contrived that it would simply be impractical for a real cowboy to dress like that; far more influenced by modern Music Row and it's loathesome ilk than by working cowboys ( save for the more high profile rodeo scene - some of the cowboys look more flamboyant than the clowns ).
And to be honest, in San Antonio, it's probably a bit more genuine than say, Houston or Dallas, where they want desperately to be cosmopolitan.
Now, I think most Texans who would care to make a comment on the matter would easily be able to tell you who's the "real deal" and who's playing Urban Cowboy.

For me, one of the big tell tales has always been the pants: real cowboy's pants are almost always a little too long in the legs. And real cowboys don't roll up their sleeves ( sweeping generalizations, by the way ). etc...

You sure about that....cowboy....:)

who-is-metrosexual.jpg
toby-keith-metrosexual.jpg
metrosexual.jpg

kiltie

Practically Family
heh heh... uhhhh, wow!
I can't decide which is ultimately more disturbing: that these pictures exist, or that you took the time to assemble and post them. lol

quickerNu

New in Town
Western wear is a very general term to me. My "lazy Sunday" clothes-relaxed fit wranglers, roper boots and cowboy hat are western in some places, and normal here. I would call a western-cut suit, bolo tie, and custom boots western, or a rodeo shirt with sponsor patches tucked into tight, long wranglers western. The crowd in the audience at Gruene hall is dressed western, the performers on stage are dressed western, the lawyer bailing both of 'em out in the morning is dressed western, and the cowboy working the whole time this is going on is dressed western, but none of 'em are dressed alike.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kiltie said:
heh heh... uhhhh, wow!
I can't decide which is ultimately more disturbing: that these pictures exist, or that you took the time to assemble and post them. lol

Go with the latter. I found your commentary to strike a chord with me. lol lol

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
Well,I "dress western" most of the time when I'm working at home just because it's more practical most of the time, but my stuff wouldn't be considered stylish I don't think.

This time of year it's normally jeans,wool shirt,Red Wing pull on boots, a battered old Filson wool mackinaw and an old black Serratelli hat. If something comes up and I have to go into town for something no one bats an eye.

During the summer tourist months it might be a different story I suppose. [huh]

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Some body want to tell me what a real Cowboy is?I looked it up in the dictionary it says someone who rides horses lives on a ranch and tends cattle,someone who rides in rodeos or somebody that carries pistols and sings ballads in the movies.1st one sounds like a rancher,2nd one sounds like a rodeo rider and the 3rd one sounds like a movie star,I get called cowboy all the time probably something to do with the hat,boots and jeans,I usually tell them I dress this way because I'm a Truck Driver.

majormajor

One Too Many
In winter I wear cowboy boots all the time (unless it is snowing - too slippy). In England that pretty much marks you out as a guitarist or a drummer (which is OK, seeing as I collect guitars). I also wear western shirts occasionally, a la Levi's with the three studs on the cuff.

But if I went into my local pub wearing a cowboy hat (which, BTW, I would never wish to do), when they had all stopped laughing, they would feed the hat to the pub dog.

No disrespect to my American cousins, but England is England:eeek:;):D

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
A Japanese (Real McCoys, I think) repro of an old Levis shirt. No one's really making this style anymore, so it doesn't stick out as western.

Now let me think - there IS a company that does these...What WAS their name??

Ah yes, I remember now....LEVI'S.......:D;)

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
In winter I wear cowboy boots all the time (unless it is snowing - too slippy). In England that pretty much marks you out as a guitarist or a drummer (which is OK, seeing as I collect guitars). I also wear western shirts occasionally, a la Levi's with the three studs on the cuff.

But if I went into my local pub wearing a cowboy hat (which, BTW, I would never wish to do), when they had all stopped laughing, they would feed the hat to the pub dog.

No disrespect to my American cousins, but England is England:eeek:;):D

Not to disrespect your friends at the local pub but just ask them how many would take a bikers jacket and feed it to the pub dog,where I come from you don't mess with a man's hat.I'm sure that there are a lot of folks on the FL that would readily agree with me no matter what part of the world they live in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot